• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

i didn't know they ran a 3rd Gen Charger at Le Mans.

SteveSS

Local time
3:33 PM
Reaction score
1976. They ran the Oly Beer Dodge Charger stock car at Le Mans. They also had a Ford Torino. The Charger blew its engine on the second lap. They were used to 101 octane gas in the USA and they thought they had 91 octane in France so they lowered the compression some on the engine. Turns out the octane was more like 82. The spectators loved the look and sound of the big NASCAR cars.

oly.jpg

The Greenwood Corvette ran there also. The bigger American cars always left a good impression and many French people remember them. There is a web site called racing sports cars that list just about every road race ever with all the cars listed. Racing Sports Cars - Home Page

It was really a shame about the octane situation. I didn't know it was so bad the Charger blew it's engine. I wish they'd gotten the chance to show what they could do. It would be wonderful if the 3rd gen had a racing history at Le Mans. Especially if it had won a few things.

Junior Johnson was there one year with one of his cars. Took some Moonshine too since that was something else he was known for.

Auto Transport Service
Back