• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I don't understand the etymology of the term Drag Racing. What say you?

SteveSS

Local time
8:16 AM
Reaction score
I looked it up but didn't really find any good answers. I guess in 60 years of loving cars I never really thought about it. Yes, I fell in love with cars as a preschooler.

upload_2018-10-3_16-48-20.png

Really? I know what drag racing is. I want to know what the basis is for using the word drag.

Stock car racing makes sense.

Etymology:
The origin and historical development of a linguistic form as shown by determining its basic elements, earliest known use, and changes in form and meaning, tracing its transmission from one language to another, identifying its cognates in other languages, and reconstructing its ancestral form where possible.

Speaking of being cooped up we just started a winter storm warning from right now until 11 pm Wednesday.

My understanding from long ago was that "drag" referred to holding the car in each gear for an extended amount of time in order to achieve maximum acceleration.

I looked it up but didn't really find any good answers. I guess in 60 years of loving cars I never really thought about it. Yes, I fell in love with cars as a preschooler.
Screenshot_20230214_190531_Chrome.jpg

This question has been asked for decades. And the truth is nobody knows the true origin on the term "Drag Racing." Some believe it refers to an acceleration race on the main drag of town. Others even refer to "Dragging your car or opponent's car our of the garage" for a show down.

I once asked which racing venue is older? Drag Racing or Stock car racing. And of course it depends on what earlier version is acceptable. But as far as a sanctioning body? Both Nascar and NHRA came into existence in 1948. So no real answer there either. (Although the first sanctioned event was a Nascar race in Atlanta. NHRA was 1950 Pomona.)

So in closing. No final original answer on the term "Drag Racing" that I know.

I would agree with your first explanation: an acceleration race on the main drag of town. For safety reasons, this type of contest was eventually moved to purpose-built straight line facilities known as drag strips. I think these type of acceleration contests have happened ever since the second car was built.

I would agree with your first explanation: an acceleration race on the main drag of town. For safety reasons, this type of contest was eventually moved to purpose-built straight line facilities known as drag strips. I think these type of acceleration contests have happened ever since the second car was built.
Lol. It was for me. My 2nd and senior in high school car was a '66 GTO. 335 HP 389 4-speed 3.73: rear gear. My 3rd was a '68 Satellite. 335 HP 383 automatic, 3.73:1 rear gear. I had both for short time. And damn right they raced. Very close as you can imagine.

Sorry for the side track story. But Dave may have an even more profound point? Drag Racing may be instinctive? A must.

Ask Rue Paul.
....or Google....

Drag racing (1947), is said to be from thieves' slang drag "automobile" (1935), perhaps ultimately from slang sense of "wagon, buggy" (1755), because a horse would drag it. By 1851 this was transferred to "street," as in the phrase main drag (which some propose as the source of the racing sense).

As I said in the very first post. I looked it up and was unsatisfied with the answers. I thought there may be another better answer here.

Something to do with a drag off of a smoke or a joint also maybe.

The 2nd reference to "Dragging your car out of the garage" may have roots to the original hot rodders that would tow their cars to the dry lake flats of South Western California. Where they didn't race side by side. But against the clock. Pre war sport in the making.

The original meaning maybe lost to time.

My 2 cents agrees with the "main drag" theory.

Auto Transport Service
Back