• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I don't want to go to work tomorrow.

I'm ready to retire from full-time working. It's just time. Two months left and I'm calling it done. It will be a very Happy New Year's 2024 for me and my lovely wife.

I met with my manager yesterday. Goal is to walk out late January 2024.

I've been retired for a little over 2 years. So far so good for the most part. I was in Great Falls Mt. last week only for a few days as my Brother in law passed at 57. I can honestly say it is not a place where I want to live. I hadn't seen him in many years and went to support my sister. The most dogging part of my retirement has been the constant fight for retiree benefits. My prior employer has made it difficult to say the least. One would think that after 40 years it would be a seamless process. Corporate America just plain sucks.
Sorry to hear about your pups Kern, it hurts.
Retirement is and still is an adjustment, you'll do fine.

I retired and bought a 12 acre farm ( and a MOPAR). Keeps me busy

Last edited:
I could retire now if I wanted to but too many people would be affected adversely if I didn't do it right. 5 of them are blood relatives.
We came out if the ground as a 1 man shop and I never planned on more than 2-3 guys. Well, we are currently at 27 guys and as my wife says about it "looks like that ship has sailed".
Working on a plan towards employee ownership with a 5 year window. If they step up great, if not I sell it.
Congrats KD. Glad to hear you healed up well.

Last edited:
I've been retired for 11 yrs now - bailed early from an incredibly high stress exec sales position. I just went home one night after somewhat firmly giving my boss a dose of fu and laying out just some of why. Got home, talked to my wife, she was agreeable really never quite knowing the hell of what I'd been dealing with and how ruthless Corp America had become. She's an RN her position and industry is quite different. I never went back. I called the next day, said i wasn't coming in. Let that ride a day or two and then said "no I'm not coming back - I'm done". This about 1.5 yrs removed from a major "widow maker" heart attack. I felt strongly if I continued doing what I was doing, for who I was doing it for - It would have killed me. I had no doubts. I never looked back. I had no desire to continue my career even tho I was still pretty young to retire - the two keys were - I somehow realized after being laid off after my first five years in the industry that no one, or company was ever going to look out for me and if I was ever going to get out on my terms I had to begin preparation for that inevitability now. So I began to save more seriously and invest and continue to parlay my investments throughout my whole career. I made a couple huge mistakes - one being the dot com debacle and being way over invested in a couple of fateful telecoms - they became huge and I made big paper money - until their financial practices were discovered and they died by the sword they lived by and almost took me with them. But I recovered for both of my mistakes and persevered so when that time came for me I was prepared to give them the virtual finger and completely leave the industry at the age I was. The other key was my wife being an RN in CA - The highest paid RN market in the country by far, as well as our having access to her benefits for some time to come.

The key for anyone is early and continued preparation to the best degree you can manage. Retirement is still a challenge for me after all these years in terms of keeping myself occupied. But I haven't and will never have regrets about bailing early. It was that or an early dirt nap that I was not desirous of or prepared for. Don't kid yourself - Yes, stress will kill you.

Oct 23rd, coworker had 14 months to go, dropped dead cutting grass. Had time & money to go, was waiting for his wife to be eligable for medicare/ss.

Yesterday was one full year that I have been retired. I have had one hell of a year, too.
I had to put down 2 dogs due to health issues.
I fell off my roof doing repairs and broke my left shoulder and one rib. I was knocked out a short time and sustained a concussion for the first time ever.
Most of the year was spent doing home repairs but some of it was spent working on the cars.
I did make it to a few cars shows and drove the classics more than before.

I spent years waking up long before sunrise...sometimes as early as 3:30.
I never liked that.
Now if I'm up before 9:30, it is because I have some specific commitment to meet.

I do love the freedom to do whatever I want to do each day. I have the time to help friends which I do enjoy.
I've had to watch my diet a bit. Without the daily workout and the calorie burn, I can't eat as much or I'll pack on the weight.
You retired and forgot all the safety junk from work in a hurry.

What that's telling me is that you staying at home is a curse, so you should go back to work.

Sorry to hear about your pups.
Looking at it from the outside, you have a point. It looks like things fell apart after I stopped working.
There has been much more good than bad.
I do miss framing houses. I may look into that once we move and get settled.
(No roof jokes)

0ECEA069-A2E5-46DA-AA39-885FD7846415.jpeg

Looking at it from the outside, you have a point. It looks like things fell apart after I stopped working.
(No roof jokes)

View attachment 1550514

I've been retired for a year and a half and I don't miss work at all. Between keeping up with home, the lake house office building, plus playing with cars & boats, I have plenty to keep me busy.

(No roof jokes)

View attachment 1550514
I may actually have time to work on mine next summer. What else could go wrong that could prevent it. Already been laid up for 9 months.

retired at 48 years old 11 years ago. laid around and chilled for a year. first thing i did was gain a ton of weight. got a DVT in my leg and spent 2 weeks in a lung ward trying not to die.
stay busy when ya do hang it up. i 100% beleave that the body can't go from working every day to doing nothing. the change is a shock to it. buddy retired just before i did after 40+ years... had a bad stroke 6 months later and now is a veg. all his and wifes dreams up in smoke... But if ya number comes up. ain't poop ya can do about it anyway... . jmo

I've been retired for 11 yrs now - bailed early from an incredibly high stress exec sales position. I just went home one night after somewhat firmly giving my boss a dose of fu and laying out just some of why. Got home, talked to my wife, she was agreeable really never quite knowing the hell of what I'd been dealing with and how ruthless Corp America had become. She's an RN her position and industry is quite different. I never went back. I called the next day, said i wasn't coming in. Let that ride a day or two and then said "no I'm not coming back - I'm done". This about 1.5 yrs removed from a major "widow maker" heart attack. I felt strongly if I continued doing what I was doing, for who I was doing it for - It would have killed me. I had no doubts. I never looked back. I had no desire to continue my career even tho I was still pretty young to retire - the two keys were - I somehow realized after being laid off after my first five years in the industry that no one, or company was ever going to look out for me and if I was ever going to get out on my terms I had to begin preparation for that inevitability now. So I began to save more seriously and invest and continue to parlay my investments throughout my whole career. I made a couple huge mistakes - one being the dot com debacle and being way over invested in a couple of fateful telecoms - they became huge and I made big paper money - until their financial practices were discovered and they died by the sword they lived by and almost took me with them. But I recovered for both of my mistakes and persevered so when that time came for me I was prepared to give them the virtual finger and completely leave the industry at the age I was. The other key was my wife being an RN in CA - The highest paid RN market in the country by far, as well as our having access to her benefits for some time to come.

The key for anyone is early and continued preparation to the best degree you can manage. Retirement is still a challenge for me after all these years in terms of keeping myself occupied. But I haven't and will never have regrets about bailing early. It was that or an early dirt nap that I was not desirous of or prepared for. Don't kid yourself - Yes, stress will kill you.
I’m paying for the wifes RN school now another year then she has to take the finals, 5 years so far and i can’t wait to retire on her dime after. That’s the plan anyways.

I retired at 57, i'm 65 now. 66 in a few weeks. Have gained around 20 lbs. But I don't take any meds and there's nothing wrong with me other than TBI and PTSD. Healthy according to my doctor. Perfect BP, clear lungs no aches and pains to speak of really.

I’m paying for the wifes RN school now another year then she has to take the finals, 5 years so far and i can’t wait to retire on her dime after. That’s the plan anyways.
I paid for two households on one salary, when I made a career move to Chicago 30 years ago. Wife stayed on in PA, and finished a masters degree at Penn State. When we moved back a decade later, she got a Penn State job that took her to retirement, and provided benefits while I spent the time self employed. The investment paid off. Years before, she supported us during my law school days. The end result was greater than the sum of the parts.

I can't imagine myself retiring. I do love my job and all the social, collegiality and problem-solving side of things etc. I can see myself slowing down my pace but not retiring completely.

Auto Transport Service
Back