• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I forget what power steering pump is rite?

74sundance

Local time
2:02 PM
Reaction score
I have 3 sitting here all a little differnt and I forget what one go's on my 1974 Satelllite lol The car is originally a 318 car converted to a big block 400...The pumps I have would be from a 318 motor and 2 from 400 motors.I'll post this now and some pic's shortly after.

It's probably gonna be the saginaw pump. They have an oval filler neck as opposed to the round neck on the federal pumps.

HAHA all 3 have the oval neck.
The issue is the brackets and pulley size

I could only find 2 of them.The one on the rite should bolt up to a big block but I don't think it's the rite pulley,I'm sure it's off of a 1973 Satellite 400 car.
I would guess the one on the left is a small block due to the slightly larger pulley and bracket setup.

rsz_hpim0688.jpg

If they all three have the oval filler necks, they are Saginaw pumps. All three pumps are the same. As for the brackets, use whichever ones work. The pulleys aill all be on the same plane, so simply measure for the appropriate length belt and have at it.

Oh and the one on the left in the pic above appears to have a bracket for a small block.

If they all three have the oval filler necks, they are Saginaw pumps. All three pumps are the same. As for the brackets, use whichever ones work. The pulleys aill all be on the same plane, so simply measure for the appropriate length belt and have at it.

Oh and the one on the left in the pic above appears to have a bracket for a small block.

The pulley size matters,I know pumps can burn up if not matted rite.Ie: Small pulley on a small block runs to fast that's the reason for the bigger pulley.I just want to be sure I have the rite size pulley for my big block.

The pulley size matters,I know pumps can burn up if not matted rite.Ie: Small pulley on a small block runs to fast that's the reason for the bigger pulley.I just want to be sure I have the rite size pulley for my big block.

Long as the pulleys attach the same, they should interchange. That's something I've never worried about in my life and something I've never had a problem with. It'd just not something I'd let hold me up.

Long as the pulleys attach the same, they should interchange. That's something I've never worried about in my life and something I've never had a problem with. It'd just not something I'd let hold me up.

Do you run the 1/4mile? I plan to that's my reason for concern, the 400ci car is a daily driver but my 440 is a punched out 500ci stroker and I don't want to take any chances when blasting down the 1/4mile.

Auto Transport Service
Back