• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I got better mileage

No.

It really does run fine and is in factory spec.

I probably should have when the engine was out for painting, etc, but didn't.
I even bought a swap meet degree wheel around that same time.

It does get hot if the AC is running and stopped at a few light close together.
That's about it. Shifting to N or bringing the RPM up a bit helps with that.
I think the solenoid will resolve it.
Without the AC on it runs pretty cool. Almost too cool- like 170*.
I've just never had an engine that ran good with 0 initial lol. I've always said though to give them what they like.

HI,
Your signature says with up grades?? What kind of up grades? did you change, distributor or timing set and if so to what?

good luck take care be safe
tim

The upgrades have been mostly comfort and appearance.

Road Runner hood
Rallye wheels
Bucket seats
Cassette pod
SSP door panels and dash
Carpet- car came wit a mat
Rallye mirrors

...plus the already mentioned dual exhaust.

Last edited:
Interesting octane ratings in the OP.

Is it R+M/2 rated?

Here, E10 blends are 87, 89, and either 92 or 93.

The just recently introduced E15 at 86.

The non-eth are all either 89 or 90.
HI YY1:
I just filled up and looked and

yeah its the R+M/2 rating
But our E10% High test is 91 oct.
and the Non-eth is 86 oct. only one grade of that fuel.

good luck take care
tim

Back in the mid 70's, my younger brother had a RR, stock 318 then, it always pinged on regular. Then I found out that you could adjust the vacuum advance by using an allen wrench through the nipple end. No more pinging. Is yours adjustable?

I run 91 non oxy in a stock compression '68 440 block. It's about $.30/gal more expensive than 93 octane at 10% ethanol. Performance is same. Maybe a little better economy with the non oxy. But feel better running less/non ethanol on older components.

For me? Better peace of mind is worth $.30 cents a gal.

I run 91 non oxy in a stock compression '68 440 block. It's about $.30/gal more expensive than 93 octane at 10% ethanol. Performance is same. Maybe a little better economy with the non oxy. But feel better running less/non ethanol on older components.

For me? Better peace of mind is worth $.30 cents a gal.
When you say stock compression, does that mean the motor has never been rebuilt and retains the original pistons?

When you say stock compression, does that mean the motor has never been rebuilt and retains the original pistons?
No. New(er) rings, but original pistons. With 452 stock heads. (Some mild porting) Only a small uptick to purple grind cam. Performer RPM intake. Holley 750 carb. Stock HP exhaust.

If I was to guess? Near 400 crank HP.

Pro Flo 4 EFI. Increased fuel mileage and zero oil consumption.

Auto Transport Service
Back