• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I joined a group NOBODY wants to belong to..

Ron H

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:59 PM
Reaction score
Some of you will be quite familiar with having your pride-ride crashed into. Yesterday my wife was using my Dakota cuz well, I hit a deer with her car week before so it's in the body shop not drivable as the fender went into the tire and PS reservoir cracked draining all the fluid.

A dipshit rear-ended her.

Glad to say she wasn't injured, other than a sore back and the guy that smacked into her wasn't as well. But, there's the five-months I spent restoring the Dakota two-years ago, parts hunting, months looking for a box, new bumper, prep & painting, etc. Hours of sanding, rust-proofing, making it look near new. Bumper is destroyed, pushed into the underside of the box, trailer hitch bent down, a bulge on the left of the box, tailgate cocked, among other things. All that work and time - gone in seconds!

Hell, nice as the wife's car was, I was glad I didn't smack the deer with it...so I thought then. What's remaining in cherry shape? My '63 - kind of afraid to take it out of the garage now.

I agree with both posts above... Ouch & Glad the wife wasn't hurt.... Sucks about the Dak...

And the idiot that ran into the Dakota was probably texting.....? Glad everyone is okay.

Really sucks. Glad everyone is okay.

I was rear ended in my '92 Dakota waiting to make a left hand turn, waiting for oncoming traffic, into a parking lot. It was like the back of the truck exploded. After the impact there was a brief memory loss and there I was sitting in the parking lot that I was heading to. My glasses were on the floor and my lower back was numb. After I managed to find my glasses and put them on I got out of the truck, looked up on the highway that I was just on and there's the vehicle that just hit me. An old man was rolling a tire from the front of his steaming vehicle and I realized it was the spare from under the bed of the Dakota. I walked up to him and grabbed the tire. He appeared to be ok but he never said a word to me. I had quite a bit of lower back pain for a couple of weeks after that.

The Dakota's frame was diamonded, the bed and back of the cab had quite a bit of damage. Did the rent a car for a few weeks while it was in the shop.

The afterthought was how I never ended up having a collision with any of the oncoming traffic that I was still waiting for when I was driven to the opposite side of the road. No fun getting rear ended.

I do agree, a group I would rather not be a part of.

After working on my Charger for years, putting no miles on it, deciding it was slow, removing engine/rebuild..... delayed from covid.... finally got it back together.

First time I drove the car after a couple of years I was coming home from tuning it on the dyno.

Stopped at a red light and was rear ended by someone cruising 40mph.

To my surprise, afterwords, he simply said.. "I wasn't paying attention".

Appreciate the honesty but took me out for another year.

In the end, probably the best thing that could have happened to the car because it's much nicer after than it was before. :)

Smooshed-

IMG_0278.JPG

IMG_0277 (1).jpg

Final thoughts are.

I am driving/intend to drive everything I can that's collectible.

If worse comes to worse, almost anything can be repaired.

After being smashed, I'm probably more motivated to drive classics as much as possible.

Being without the car made me appreciate it and miss it more than if that never happened.

Really sucks. Glad everyone is okay.

I was rear ended in my '92 Dakota waiting to make a left hand turn, waiting for oncoming traffic, into a parking lot. It was like the back of the truck exploded. After the impact there was a brief memory loss and there I was sitting in the parking lot that I was heading to. My glasses were on the floor and my lower back was numb. After I managed to find my glasses and put them on I got out of the truck, looked up on the highway that I was just on and there's the vehicle that just hit me. An old man was rolling a tire from the front of his steaming vehicle and I realized it was the spare from under the bed of the Dakota. I walked up to him and grabbed the tire. He appeared to be ok but he never said a word to me. I had quite a bit of lower back pain for a couple of weeks after that.

The Dakota's frame was diamonded, the bed and back of the cab had quite a bit of damage. Did the rent a car for a few weeks while it was in the shop.

The afterthought was how I never ended up having a collision with any of the oncoming traffic that I was still waiting for when I was driven to the opposite side of the road. No fun getting rear ended.
Did you have your front wheels cut to the left waiting for traffic to clear? If so, that's never a good idea just because of the fact of the possibility of getting rear-ended..... sounds like everyone was okay and I'm glad of that!

Did you have your front wheels cut to the left waiting for traffic to clear? If so, that's never a good idea just because of the fact of the possibility of getting rear-ended..... sounds like everyone was okay and I'm glad of that!

No I'll never sit there with my wheels turned. I saw that happen one time when a woman was rear ended. In my case I was hit towards the right side of the back which drove me to the left even though my wheels were straight. I always watch my rear view while sitting there also. I saw this vehicle coming a ways back but didn't think they were going as fast as they were. It seemed like two seconds when I last looked. Heck of a feeling that you don't forget.

Twenty years of truck driving and never got hit from behind, then twice in the last five years. Texting has not helped the situation. Good advice to keep your wheels straight when sitting at an intersection.

2 in 2 weeks.

That sucks.

I saw this vehicle coming a ways back but didn't think they were going as fast as they were. It seemed like two seconds when I last looked. Heck of a feeling that you don't forget.

I guess we need new warnings on mirrors now? "Objects in mirror are moving faster than they appear"!

afterthought was how I never ended up having a collision with any of the oncoming traffic
Yes, have to count the blessings as it could have been much worse. In all the decades of driving, including a lot of traveling for work, there are at least four occasions where I calculated I could have been toasted if not for luck and the wherewithal of the of the other guy making the right decision before it was too late. Two of those involved semi’s bearing down on my rear jack-knifing to avoid hitting me.

Another was at an intersection as I got the green, started to roll forward then saw a tanker truck out of the corner of my eye. Thought, hmm he’s still going pretty fast at his red, then nope, no way he’s stopping his rig in time so hit the brakes. He barreled through. As my oldest daughter was only driving a year or so then, I was in the passenger seat and watched her take off on her green NOT double-checking cross traffic after getting the green. It was dad lecture time about this.

After those rear-end close calls, one thing I do now (have seen a few others doing this, so not my brainstorm) is turn on the flashers as I see stopped traffic ahead on the freeway. Don't know; but seems to have helped alert people behind. Other, as posted, keep wheels straight waiting to make a turn.

Oh man these stories are giving me the chills.
I was delivering pizza a hundred years ago in an Omni 2 + 2 Turismo ? i was stopped turning left and an old chev Malibu hit me standing still at 40 + mph. sent me into head on traffic and I did a head on with a chevette.
The rear bumper was touching the back seat and the front was folded up over the windshield.

The pizza was pronounced dead at the scene

Glad no one was hurt, The cars can be repaired

Getting tagged in the rear is one of my biggest fears in the car. I always ALWAYS leave a couple car lengths between me and the car in front when pulling to a light / stop.
Then pay attention to the cars coming up from the rear as a just in case.

Been Several times the car pulling in behind me leaves some extra room. As if he senses my fears.

A local guys car out here got hit in a turn when a girl didn't stop at a four way stop. Tagged him in the left corner. car is fixable ,,,( Gasser style 57 Chevrolet ) but now he's without it for a year while gets fixed. So, he bought another car to play with while its down.
After that,,,,I upped insurance on mine into 6 figures. Someone hits me ,,,,their insurance company is not gonna be happy. As its gonna hurt

Auto Transport Service
Back