• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I know that you’re supposed to LEAVE things at the dump, but….

You guys would cry if you saw some of the stuff that gets thrown at our local dump. Security Guards are employed to make sure some stuff is destroyed.....pallet loads of Jack Daniels and confiscated alcohol from Customs etc......enough to make a grown man cry.

grown man cry.gif

wow, lots of you guys finding discarded items. Sounds like we need to make a new thread that keeps going called "Junk Treasure of the Week". It can be a competition. Kind of serious actually...

Good finds KD. How was the smell? I haven't been to the dump in decades. My dad used to have my brother and I help him make a run every 4-5 yrs and all I can remember is the terrible stench.

The only thing you can take from our landfill drop-off area IS paint.

That's a shame since last time I was there, I saw a whole stack of vintage 1970's "silver face" audio equipment sitting on a pallet, just far enough away from the drop off area that I couldn't run over, grab a piece and put it in the truck without attracting attention.

The paint drop off rules are a bit silly, too. You can only drop off a total of 5 gallon containers per day, per verified county address, no matter what actual quantity of liquid is actually in the container.

Drop off a quart in a 5 gallon bucket- you're done.

That encourages people to mix everything together to get the most full "containers" they can, and renders the paint basically unusable unless people are dropping off full, unused containers.

How many people do that?

I've posted several "guess what I found in my dumpster" and "guess what I found on the side of the road" threads.

Some highlights are-

Working vintage 1970's component 8 track player/recorder with about 20 hard rock tapes.

Decent condition (I'd put them in a car and drive it) pair of Recaro style bucket seats with tracks (might even actually be Recaro brand).

NICE pair of 12" Eminence brand PA speakers with horn tweeters.

60" real wood cabinet taken out of a Publix grocery.

Working vintage "Sioux" brand random orbit air sander/buffer (I still use it).

This may be the winner though-
If you can beat that (with pics) let's see it!

https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/mopa...-found-in-my-dumpster-7-29-17-edition.135116/

Nice that all that perfectly new stuff found a home. A shame stuff like this gets tossed. Who knows, maybe the family emptied out their deceased grampa's garage. A friend happened to tell me a few weeks ago he was looking to get rid of his deceased FIL's weapons he had to get them crushed. I said hey hold on a sec, lemme take a look at them. He said keep 'em if you want, wife wants them gone. Dang hey, two of them are pretty rare in nice shape.

How was the smell? I haven't been to the dump in decades. My dad used to have my brother and I help him make a run every 4-5 yrs and all I can remember is the terrible stench.
After working in construction all those years near porta potties in the Summer, I'm no stranger to offensive smells. I don't like it but I don't gag from it.
I go to the dump on average maybe once a month to 5 weeks. They do have signs stating "No private salvaging" but I have picked up items that were dumped right where I pulled in to unload. I think that they just don't want people climbing in piles where they are at risk of injury.

Once every 4-5 weeks! Wow. You have that much to get rid of that won't fit in the weekly trash? Why so often? Maybe I don't want to know...haha
After working in construction all those years near porta potties in the Summer, I'm no stranger to offensive smells. I don't like it but I don't gag from it.
I go to the dump on average maybe once a month to 5 weeks. They do have signs stating "No private salvaging" but I have picked up items that were dumped right where I pulled in to unload. I think that they just don't want people climbing in piles where they are at risk of injury.nc

I have tree trimmings, lawn clippings, cardboard boxes from numerous shipments the wife gets, trash from various projects….

I collect scrap metal from around the area then donate 10% back to local community groups to improve the village.

It's amazing what I can drag home.

Screenshot_20230430-204855~2.png

Is that an LTD?

We just can't stand to see good stuff get thrown out. Maybe I am a hoarder. That feeling of I might need that latter. :lol:

My company works in SF and we redo all offices in and through out Bay Area. I come across all new items from shelving, TVs, commercial fridges, office furniture so much so I can furnish 100 story building easy. To much I just help out people around me. And don’t advertise it. There’s many greedy people there. I just take what I need nothing more.

….Sometimes you see something that still has value and you’re compelled to grab it.
I went to a different “Landfill” today to dump 6 big containers of waste oil. My usual place isn’t open to take oil on Fridays.
These facilities often have a rack or cart out in the open where people can take what they want. People sometimes clear out a house or shop and throw out paint or chemicals that are still new. Check this out…

View attachment 1457264

All of this is stuff that I can use. Oil, ATF, anti freeze, chassis grease….

View attachment 1457265

Weed killer, bug killer, oven cleaner, Simple Green, upholstery cleaner…

View attachment 1457267

All in all, there is over $350 worth of stuff here. There was more to take but I was starting to feel greedy.
Great find!!! Now you can pack it all up for your move or do like the previous owners did and throw it all away!! LOL....... Should have been at my last two houses, a few years ago, they brought trucks and trailers. It's easy to get rid of things when you give it all away, I sell nothing........... “A good Samaritan with the means, lives knowing that if we were to leave this world tomorrow, we were the best humans we could be and we touched the lives of as many souls as possible. We are not asked to be perfect. We are asked to make a difference.” It works, look what you got.................... By the way, I use Tuff Stuff all the time!!

Great find!!! Now you can pack it all up for your move or do like the previous owners did and throw it all away!! LOL....... Should have been at my last two houses, a few years ago, they brought trucks and trailers. It's easy to get rid of things when you give it all away, I sell nothing........... “A good Samaritan with the means, lives knowing that if we were to leave this world tomorrow, we were the best humans we could be and we touched the lives of as many souls as possible. We are not asked to be perfect. We are asked to make a difference.” It works, look what you got.................... By the way, I use Tuff Stuff all the time!!
My community has periodic residential bulk waste pick up days. The day before, my wife and I put out stuff that isn't easily donated, and without fail it's all gone hours before the official waste pick up begins. We have never done a garage sale.

Back in the day, before getting rid of tires was such a problem, our dump had a tire pile, "limit 4".
Per trip, I went often.
One day I dumped 4, and loaded up four, that had 1969 15" H code steel wheels still on the junk tires.
Best dump day ever.
Checked the pile constantly after that, but only a few mopar steels, before they wouldn't allow any retrieval from the pile.

My community has periodic residential bulk waste pick up days. The day before, my wife and I put out stuff that isn't easily donated, and without fail it's all gone hours before the official waste pick up begins. We have never done a garage sale.
You're a good man, but, I already knew that!!!! I do what I do because I once had NOTHING and people helped in ways they didn't even know. I once traded an old couch for this one.
It was by the street left to be hauled off. I'm the guy on the right with my new couch. It made me who I am today, good or bad, I sometimes wonder!! My first truck. First three letters of my license plate...............

1 001 (2).jpg

Best I ever found was a pair of challenger seats.

You're a good man, but, I already knew that!!!! I do what I do because I once had NOTHING and people helped in ways they didn't even know. I once traded an old couch for this one.
It was by the street left to be hauled off. I'm the guy on the right with my new couch. It made me who I am today, good or bad, I sometimes wonder!! My first truck. First three letters of my license plate...............

View attachment 1458585
That's what I call living the life right there! Lol

Auto Transport Service
Back