• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I know that you’re supposed to LEAVE things at the dump, but….

Kern Dog

Life is full of turns. Build your car to handle.
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:36 AM
Reaction score
….Sometimes you see something that still has value and you’re compelled to grab it.
I went to a different “Landfill” today to dump 6 big containers of waste oil. My usual place isn’t open to take oil on Fridays.
These facilities often have a rack or cart out in the open where people can take what they want. People sometimes clear out a house or shop and throw out paint or chemicals that are still new. Check this out…

52F0B48B-F107-4704-B38B-8553A51B52B6.jpeg

All of this is stuff that I can use. Oil, ATF, anti freeze, chassis grease….

B78570C2-EE75-47AD-BAB2-13A2A5B5F0F3.jpeg

Weed killer, bug killer, oven cleaner, Simple Green, upholstery cleaner…

FA6DDC5B-BB9B-4BDA-98E3-83EDAC4E3193.jpeg

All in all, there is over $350 worth of stuff here. There was more to take but I was starting to feel greedy.

nice,here they would of tased me for trying to grab that stuff.

At the other dump, I've snagged Thompson's water seal, good spray paint, RoundUp, WD40, Raid, other stuff that is useful.
I got an OLD box of TSP. I never heard of the stuff but it worked great cleaning the greasy shop floor.
I like FREE.

You guys would cry if you saw some of the stuff that gets thrown at our local dump. Security Guards are employed to make sure some stuff is destroyed.....pallet loads of Jack Daniels and confiscated alcohol from Customs etc......enough to make a grown man cry.

You don't actually "own" a shopping cart, do you?
Nice that your area will let folks take things of value.
One of our local customs/pranks if you will is "couching". It involves delivering a ratty old couch or similar to a friend's front yard late at night with a for sale sign.
It's hilarious watching it move through the community. There was a toilet painted gold that traveled around for a few years as a fund raiser too. The local fire company would come pick it up for $50, and then deliver it elsewhere.

….Sometimes you see something that still has value and you’re compelled to grab it.
I went to a different “Landfill” today to dump 6 big containers of waste oil. My usual place isn’t open to take oil on Fridays.
These facilities often have a rack or cart out in the open where people can take what they want. People sometimes clear out a house or shop and throw out paint or chemicals that are still new. Check this out…

View attachment 1457264

View attachment 1457265

View attachment 1457267

All in all, there is over $350 worth of stuff here. There was more to take but I was starting to feel greedy.
"starting to" eh? :rofl:

People sometimes trash the craziest stuff. My buddy worked at the local landfill several years ago. Told me that one day, a guy came in and backed up a fairly late model Chevy pickup to the scrap metal pile. Got under, unbolted the bed and flipped it back on to the pile. Drove away empty, no tail lights or anything on the rear. My buddy said it was too bad, the bed was in good shape...

My friend answered a craigslist ad that said junk junk and more junk. one of the items was a 69 Road Runner. He found this RM21J9A 426 Hemi 4 speed dana car underneath a collapsed metal carport structure.

20191013_110354.jpg

20191013_110346.jpg

I found another pair of Vise Grips in the middle of the road last night.

That makes three! These were knock-offs but the first two were Irwin and pre-Irwin VG brand.

...and I recovered about 30 feet of 3/4 EMT conduit and a box of various fittings both 3/4 and larger from a construction dumpster earlier in the week.

I estimate about $60-$75 if I had to buy them.....and I got a project coming up that will use some of it. Also some 4-6 foot sections of #6 wire.

Well dang.....hard to top finding a "junk" Hemi RR.

...although I did actually do that once too.

View attachment 1457264

View attachment 1457265

View attachment 1457267

You greedy bastard !

Auto Transport Service
Back