• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I know that you’re supposed to LEAVE things at the dump, but….

That's what I call living the life right there! Lol
Poor people have poor ways!! LOL I just gave away three leather couches a few months ago. I could have used one years ago, as the picture proves. LOL. I've been blessed.

After working in construction all those years near porta potties in the Summer, I'm no stranger to offensive smells. I don't like it but I don't gag from it.
I go to the dump on average maybe once a month to 5 weeks. They do have signs stating "No private salvaging" but I have picked up items that were dumped right where I pulled in to unload. I think that they just don't want people climbing in piles where they are at risk of injury.
You know that's pretty clever, good for you! you have to know I was just messing with you before!

Picked these hand sanitizer stands out of a dumpster near work.

1" square steel tube x 36"

Bases are 9 1/2" x 1/4" steel plate.

Might actually use one for GoJo dispenser stand.

20230501_191129.jpg

Noticed this door laying by the curb on the next street over...had a handle that matched the ones I just installed at our house.

BTW- check out the paper construction of this $200 "Jeld-Wen" brand interior door. The only wood is the two edges. Even the top and bottom are pressed paper!

20230501_193143.jpg

My Dad's first "retirement job" was running the local dump. Amazing, some of the really good stuff that gets tossed. Dad found a German cuckoo clock in perfect condition, still in the box. At the time, it was a $700 wall clock! Another thing he found was a bunch of VW Beetle parts. Some NOS, some very good used. He had a '71 Super Beetle at the time, and made out like a bandit with this treasure trove of Bug stuff.

My Sister was an office manager at an apartment complex in a college town. Every year around graduation, the dumpsters at the complex would be overfilled with stuff the students didn't care to pack and bring with them when they graduated or just went home for the Summer. TVs, decorations, furnishings, housewares, clothes....I never did any dumpster diving for that but I could see why some would if they were short on cash.
The nearby dump here continues to provide scores. I have enough oil, ATF and gear oil to service a few cars out back, WD40, glass cleaners, car wash soaps, anti-freeze and other stuff.
I used to take spray paint, even in colors I didn't want. The cans burst in spectacular fashion when met with a .22 caliber pellet from my hobby rifle. They shoot up in the air, sometimes spinning like fireworks. Redneck fun for certain.

wow !!! it’s hard to believe people discard perfectly good new-unopened product they will eventually need . what is the mindset? i don’t get it ! item , brand new un opened gallon of antifreeze, i’ll estimate $10-$20 dollars, tossed ? dummy thinks to himself - i’ll just get rid of these as i’ll never need antifreeze again ! pretty tall statement! he must of bought an EV car !!!! lmfao !!!!!! the stuff in that picture is probably worth hundreds of dollars, i would of did same thing as you . i use them items about daily, better to use them up then bury in a landfill …

Last edited:
That sort of wasteful behavior doesn't happen nearly as often in more "frugal" parts, methinks...
Sure doesn't around here, where scavenging is a practiced art by many folks.

We have "collection centers" out here in the country, where you take your refuse typically; those
centers consist of the usual large dumpsters, separated by household garbage, metal-only trash
and the stuff that falls between.
Those are then hauled off to a central "dump"...

There's the usual used oil collection container and those for paper, cardboard and the like - but
many's the time I've hauled off a well-worn office chair or some such and I can't hardly get the
truck backed up to the appropriate dumpster before someone approaches and asks if they can
take it.
Sometimes, it's the county employee "attendant" themselves - those fellas are sort of wheeler-
dealer types, since they see everyones' stuff as it comes in.
Not much gets wasted around here - and a lot of it gets "recycled" organically.

I found another pair of Vise Grips in the middle of the road last night.

That makes three! These were knock-offs but the first two were Irwin and pre-Irwin VG brand.

...and I recovered about 30 feet of 3/4 EMT conduit and a box of various fittings both 3/4 and larger from a construction dumpster earlier in the week.

I estimate about $60-$75 if I had to buy them.....and I got a project coming up that will use some of it. Also some 4-6 foot sections of #6 wire.
it amazing what you find laying in and along side the road !

….Sometimes you see something that still has value and you’re compelled to grab it.
I went to a different “Landfill” today to dump 6 big containers of waste oil. My usual place isn’t open to take oil on Fridays.
These facilities often have a rack or cart out in the open where people can take what they want. People sometimes clear out a house or shop and throw out paint or chemicals that are still new. Check this out…

View attachment 1457264

All of this is stuff that I can use. Oil, ATF, anti freeze, chassis grease….

View attachment 1457265

Weed killer, bug killer, oven cleaner, Simple Green, upholstery cleaner…

View attachment 1457267

All in all, there is over $350 worth of stuff here. There was more to take but I was starting to feel greedy.
Don't take a dump, leave one! :poke: :rofl:

On April 5, the county is having a day where you can go to the Fairgrounds and dispose of things you can't toss out in a normal trash day; i.e. tires, computers and old monitors, furniture, chemicals, and AMMO. With the price of ammo, who thinks "Well, Pa is dead, and I hate guns. I think I'll take this scrap 10,000 rounds out to the event and get rid of it!"

I don't go to the dump, but my trash company does. I ask people if they want it, if they don't, off it goes. I'm down to fighting weight now and for the first time in my life I'm no longer hanging on to things I know I will no longer need. A life time of collecting gone.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back