• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I Must Be Getting Old..Need A Photo Of How The Alternator Mounts On a 70 RR with A/C

soundhd

Local time
9:15 AM
Reaction score
Removed the alternator awhile back on my 70 RR (383; A/C;) Can't for the life of me figure out how it mounts back up.....think it sits lower then a non A/C car.....do not have any extra brackets anywhere....was wondering if anyone with a 70 RR A/C 383 car could post a photo of theirs.......CRS
I hate getting old....feel silly but shop manual does not show anything.....wish Mopar had assembly manuals like some of the GM cars have..........

thanks

:hello2:

Attachments

• brackets 71 383 ac 3.jpg
    brackets 71 383 ac 3.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 374
  • weddingetc 114.jpg
    weddingetc 114.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 351
Thanks that was what I needed.......I have the same lower bracket (well sort of) that's where I was having a problem with.....how the alternator connected to that bracket.....again thank you very much
a happy holiday to you

PS: getting old "sucks".....LOL

There is a 5/16 bolt that goes through the slider slot on the bracket. Thats it.
Here is a pic of the rear A/C compressor bracket that carb return spring goes to. Bracket on the right is the 383/400 one. Return spring goes in the hole marked 4.
Here is a pic of the correct BBHP A/C lines. Different than SB or BBLP.

Attachments

• brackets ac BB 440 383.jpg
    brackets ac BB 440 383.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 341
  • 71 BB w ac.jpg
    71 BB w ac.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 375
getting old "sucks".....LOL

no ****----no body is getting out of here alive lol

Thanks to all the replies......from the photo I figured out I was trying to mount the alternator to low...moved it up to the upper bolt hole and worked out fine.........from now on I take photos before I take anything apart.......
That's what this forum is all about.....helping each other.....specially us with CRS......LOL

thanks again
happy holiday

Do you have that little black bar mounted to the front of the pass head? Needed on 383/400 motors.

Well the A/C compressor is off the car now (see photo) ...I do have a bracket left over (think it is for the compressor...really cannot remember)......you can see from the photo there is a bracket sitting just over the drivers side valve cover....
(I assume this in answer to my PM about the PS pump....if not I did get the alternator mounted...photos helped)

DSCF0761_zps29350651.jpg

Do you have that little black bar mounted to the front of the pass head? Needed on 383/400 motors.

I think he's talking about the small black bar at the very top of his first photo on the pass. side head.

This is what I have in the way of an alternator bracket....just the curved bracket that fits along the bottom with the adjustable slot....Have not put the two belts on yet...waiting for a new PS pump.......this is the way it came with the car.......I take it I have a couple pieces missing?

I did find this on the Year One web site......is this one of the pieces I am missing?

https://www.yearone.com/Product/1966-74-a-b-e-body/mj32

In one of the top photos it sort of looks like the bottom bracket in that photo is different from mine....the one in the photo has a L shaped bracket bracing it from the back......is mine the wrong bracket?

I did find this on the Classic Industries web site

http://www.classicindustries.com/mopar/parts/md2423.html

$75.00 alot of money for a bracket

md2423_zps0ef83fc9.jpg

photo is at wrong angle

Is this the other bracket?

BPE5232_zps20814a29.jpg

DSCF0767_zpsaecb67a9.jpg

again photo at wrong angle

DSCF0766_zpsd43af02a.jpg

photo from top

DSCF0765_zps8f76f71a.jpg

I am. For the upper Alt bolt.

Your missing both the little 383 bracket on the head and the triangular front bracket. Look at my 1st picture above.

So I guess I need these two brackets and a I guess a bolt kit also?

The little bracket on the head.....it is at the top of the middle on the top photo? Got a better picture of one? Hard to tell what it looks like but will search to catalogs for some thing like it....

thanks

BPE5232_zps20814a29.jpg

md2423_zps0ef83fc9.jpg

Is this the small piece that fits on the head?

BPE5234_zps03c8b5ea.gif

Your missing both the little 383 bracket on the head and the triangular front bracket. Look at my 1st picture above.

And the bracket on the head. Your bolts and spacers will probably work. May need to cut down the long spacer.
I may have the complete factory setup if you want me to check.
Thanks mark

Yes please check....if you have a setup pm me with a price with shipping to 48105..
If not I think I found the parts new but always willing to save money.....

thanks

And the bracket on the head. Your bolts and spacers will probably work. May need to cut down the long spacer.
I may have the complete factory setup if you want me to check.
Thanks mark

Here is the 3 piece setup. I'm sending you a pm.
Thanks

Attachments

• DCP_0061.jpg
    DCP_0061.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 226
Auto Transport Service
Back