• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I need new quarters, should I try it myself?

jayfire

Local time
10:02 AM
Reaction score
I have some rust issues with both rear quarters of my GTX. I do have some skill, but never done a full quarter. Should I try it myself or farm it out? I wish there was an instructional video for this kind of stuff!! Someone could make some good money!

Just one simple......"NO".

- - - Updated - - -

I meant to say, Just one simple answer......"NO".

If your a novice and want to try it yourself I'd suggest buying full quarters and not partial ones (if available). The hardest things to learn is how to weld long seams without warping the panels, a full quarter is welded on just like the factory did with only spot welds making it alloooooooooot easier for a novice. You'll spend more money on the panel but will have an easier job and better results just start practicing spot welds and getting your settings right for a good strong weld.

Check out 69GTX thread under restoration forum if you want to get an idea of what you're in for. He'd never done it either. He's laid out his work pretty much step by step with pics. I think that would give you a reasonable idea if you should give it ago. He'd be a good source for advice too while he's fresh from doing it. He's a pretty thorough guy too.

there is only one way to learn ,and that is to do it your self ,there are a lot of sites that offer videos of how to do ,plus on our site there are a lot of great guys here that have under taken the jobs them self ,let your finger do the walking look up all of the threads on here and ask a lot of question so just do it :headbang: remember take a lot of photos and notes and if you can video tape it also have fun :headbang:

Take your time and practice on some old junk first.... I always had some dented fenders or scraps laying around.... fit everything up and step back look.. measure and fit a few dozen times cut once.... watch you're heat... small tacks all over eventually filling in the seams... a million little tacks... keeps the pucker down...

- - - Updated - - -

In theory you could build the car out of bubblegum welding and grinding....

I don't plan on using any patches. I will do both full quarters. I do lots of research so I won't just jump right in. Only one "No", so that's encouraging. Anyone know an estimate from a body shop to replace both full quarters? I would like a ball park figure before I check with our local body shops. Thanks

I have done this, was my first time. I got a little discouraged at first. Right up front I'll tell you that the quarters won't just lay right in there. It takes a lot of trial fitting. The bends are't very crisp and it'll take a lot of trimming fitting. That being said, if you have any body guys that can swing by once in a while to coach you, you'll do fine. I would definatley do full quarters. Mine had a vinyl top so the joint will be covered. Having done this once I can help you with some areas I would do a little differently the 2nd time around. On a good note the body shop said I did a ok job. Before you do anything make a drawing with all the measurements off the car! Let me know if I can help.
Tim 10008581_798956433469141_312279975_n[1].jpg

Doors & front clip have lots of adjustment, qts. have none once installed.

after you have fit your new qt panel to the car just make a few tack welds to hold it in place.

Now re install the door { good hinges , pins ect. } adjust your door , check all gaps and ck your qt panel fit to the door. do the same with the deck lid on, ck all gaps.

you must install doors and deck lid and ck all gaps before you do much welding.

good luck , just take your time an double ck every gap before finish welding.

You can do it, if you are concerned ask, we will help you. This is not brain surgery. if your concerned about welding don't you can use copper flashing to absorb heat. Also you will need an air gun and a tin knocker hammer and Argon/Co2 gas for the mig.

Actually full quarter panels are not the hard to do but you do need to know how to weld. There around 200 spot welds per quarter. 1967Coronet has some good advise. Check gaps and alignment including rear window and deck lid before welding it home.
There is lead filler at the quarter to rocker seam. Quarter to roof seam will be lead on painted roof and plastic filler on V-top cars.

Yes I would agree good welding skills & lots of vise grips.

Auto Transport Service
Back