• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I need your help Determining Investment cost verses car selling value

I find it funny and sad that the OP is so upset about this. As happens to most “what’s it worth” threads, people don’t like the real answer, they want their car to be worth Barrett Jackson dollars, and his car would be if it had the correct drivetrain and corresponding paperwork to back it up. Sadly, it doesn’t, and no amount of dollars thrown at it will change that. He is obviously not in love with the car enough to just drive it and enjoy is as is, so I guess his best place is back with the Oldsmobile crowd. By his last post, he sounds happiest with his Olds, so that’s where he should be!

Mate you asked a question and people gave you their honest answers. Sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear. We could have all pissed in your pocket and told you what a great idea it is to restore it and how much you'd make but it would have been the wrong thing to do. You should appreciate everyone giving their time to respond and know they were all trying to help you out.

It’s not about being told what I want to hear. Yes, I asked. But if you read the entire forum, why does so many feel the need to say the same things over and over and over and over and over? 3-4 respected top forum Members are enough to get the point across. If I can add to a conversation and would only be parroting what others say, then I don’t post. Early responses were precise, honest and valid points. I agree with them. I didn’t get defensive, but does it take three pages of member after member saying the same thing? Not one person argued a opposing view point so the point was made well without... yes dog piling!
If you have a counter point of a thought that is original and not added to a discussion, then yes by all means, add that point, but be original if you feel a need to post.
So many people these days feel a need to post because they can post. Facebook is filled with mindless chatter about everyone’s opinions and what mindless things they do with their time like I ate breakfast this morning, aren’t you proud or jealous of me?
A wise man thinks before he speaks, a fool opens his mouth and removes all doubt.
I asked to be educated on mopar since this was my first. I accepts facts and opinions and their source, I don’t make up “alternate facts” to support my own beliefs. And options are like arses, everyone has one, but after a few, I don’t need to continue to see the same thing over and over to get it. I would think you or others do as well.

My last point, this response was not pointed directly at you or in response to your post. It was just the last one I read when I wrote this response. So I am not attacking you. I am merely asking how many post saying the same thing over and over without addressing new thoughts does it take? 3, 4, 10, 30, 50? This was never about making money. I was asking about what the car could be worth as various levels of condition quality. I was honest about the car and posted bare facts for the world to see. This posting will be out there long after I sell the car and even after my death. No one will ever be able to mis-represent this car again. It’s history and condition is document to this date. But I will close with saying that to a purest, the car may not be worth much, but there is a seat for every arse. And someone will purchase the car again. And it will not be sold as something it’s not. I will drive it as much as I want and I will pay to make it safe. Someone will get a good looking car that they can trust and I will get most if not all my money back.
I do thank most everyone for their input and advising me against a sizable investment. I believe that is sound advise.

I find it funny and sad that the OP is so upset about this. As happens to most “what’s it worth” threads, people don’t like the real answer, they want their car to be worth Barrett Jackson dollars, and his car would be if it had the correct drivetrain and corresponding paperwork to back it up. Sadly, it doesn’t, and no amount of dollars thrown at it will change that. He is obviously not in love with the car enough to just drive it and enjoy is as is, so I guess his best place is back with the Oldsmobile crowd. By his last post, he sounds happiest with his Olds, so that’s where he should be!
Again option is like....
Adds no addition thought to conversation but felt a burning desire to post his thoughts because so many real need and want to read it. How are you adding to this thread? Where are your facts, examples, value added evidence. It’s a car, just a car, not one if my children. But your right, I don’t need to waste my time dignifying dribble and ravings. Did anyone benefit from your posting, no? But you just had to force it upon the members that clicked this thread. Our country would be far better off if more people kept their thoughts to themselves. I fought and gave up my health when I was the lone survivor of my Humve in Iraq, I fought for your freedom of speech but that doesn’t make you correct or even a valued voice on every subject matter. Reference... remove all doubt! Be original or be silent. At least I posted a thread of original thought!

Just try asking the membership what something might be worth........

One answer- lowball, give way.

One answer- ridiculously high.

Next 45 answers- "what someone is willing to pay".

Might get one or two who are following asking/selling prices if you're lucky.

You asked for opinions from the masses here, not just 4-5 from the top Mopar gurus, and you got opinions. Then you got pissed about getting a majority of the same opinions, which to me would solidify the consensus. My comment stands....it sounds like you are happier with the Olds, so do what makes you happy.

I thought I had the correct answer... but not even a like. My Superbird was bubbled, just like your new toy, some 30+ years ago when I bought it. Still driving it, it hasn't really got much worse in 3 decades, and I doubt that many at the Wing car gathering last Fall in Alabama even noticed the lower body as she sat out in front of Wellborns Manson with 200+ other cars.
talladegaorbust2019 983.JPG

Last edited:
the threads only 3 pages long @TomPettyLives
trust me when i tell you that topics of far less interest have gone on for Eons of pages.
as far as gurus,ive owned= bought,sold,traded and scrapped over 5k cars and im not an expert or a guru at all.
i just have Lots of experience.

in closing,if you ask for help and advice on this site,dont be surprised when a Lot of people come forwards to do so.
just be glad this site has this Quality of people.

It’s not about being told what I want to hear. Yes, I asked. But if you read the entire forum, why does so many feel the need to say the same things over and over and over and over and over? 3-4 respected top forum Members are enough to get the point across. If I can add to a conversation and would only be parroting what others say, then I don’t post. Early responses were precise, honest and valid points. I agree with them. I didn’t get defensive, but does it take three pages of member after member saying the same thing? Not one person argued a opposing view point so the point was made well without... yes dog piling!
If you have a counter point of a thought that is original and not added to a discussion, then yes by all means, add that point, but be original if you feel a need to post.
So many people these days feel a need to post because they can post. Facebook is filled with mindless chatter about everyone’s opinions and what mindless things they do with their time like I ate breakfast this morning, aren’t you proud or jealous of me?
A wise man thinks before he speaks, a fool opens his mouth and removes all doubt.
I asked to be educated on mopar since this was my first. I accepts facts and opinions and their source, I don’t make up “alternate facts” to support my own beliefs. And options are like arses, everyone has one, but after a few, I don’t need to continue to see the same thing over and over to get it. I would think you or others do as well.

My last point, this response was not pointed directly at you or in response to your post. It was just the last one I read when I wrote this response. So I am not attacking you. I am merely asking how many post saying the same thing over and over without addressing new thoughts does it take? 3, 4, 10, 30, 50? This was never about making money. I was asking about what the car could be worth as various levels of condition quality. I was honest about the car and posted bare facts for the world to see. This posting will be out there long after I sell the car and even after my death. No one will ever be able to mis-represent this car again. It’s history and condition is document to this date. But I will close with saying that to a purest, the car may not be worth much, but there is a seat for every arse. And someone will purchase the car again. And it will not be sold as something it’s not. I will drive it as much as I want and I will pay to make it safe. Someone will get a good looking car that they can trust and I will get most if not all my money back.
I do thank most everyone for their input and advising me against a sizable investment. I believe that is sound advise.

Not an original thought, but a correct quote:

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

This quote has been attributed to Abraham Lincoln, Mark Twain and Samuel Johnson, among others.

So. Come here to ask for opinions and advice from Mopar enthusiasts. Receive good and valid opinions. Have a hissy-fit and proceed to insult forum members since the Olds forum is nice and fuzzy. Then boast how great your stylish super-valuable Oldsmobile is. Nice move.

Auto Transport Service
Back