• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I needed a smaller pulley with more offset for something I'm putting together..

1 Wild R/T

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:17 AM
Reaction score
So I'm doing what I need to do..... It'll be back in one piece tomorrow....

thumbnail_IMG_8389.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_8390.jpg

That has to be for a LA or Magnum engine.....The Big Block water pump non A/C pulley is already breathing on the WP mounting bolts. More offset would be worse.

IMG_4471.JPG

That has to be for a LA or Magnum engine.....The Big Block water pump non A/C pulley is already breathing on the WP mounting bolts. More offset would be worse.
LA I'm changing some things around on the Red vert... Replacing the RV2 with a Sanden & replacing the stock alternator with a 120 A Denso off a Landcruiser...

I've done a Sanden in place of the RV2 on a small block before using the Bouchilion brackets & to be blunt, they suck.... Running the A/C & the alternator both with a single belt means the belt starts slipping any time the load increases.... When does the load increase? When the A/C head pressure goes up... When does the A/C head pressure go up? When it's hot outside.... When do you really want the A/C to work well? When it's hot outside.... Yeah, not a great plan...

My solution.... I'm using a bunch of stuff that never lived together but with a little custom work I'll have dual belts on the A/C-Alt & Crank... And a single belt on the W/P-P/S & crank.... Pictures soon...

I love the fabrication stuff. It is fun to ponder options and try things. It is great when you can build it yourself using things you already have nearby.
Many times there are aftermarket parts to do the same thing but making it yourself may allow you to make it without compromises.

01 skor.JPG

(Score)

When I was doing this stuff twenty five, thirty years ago it was because nobody made parts to do what we wanted.... Now you can buy a kit for that... But the kit often takes the easiest route, not really the best route.... For those who chose easy the kits are nice... I prefer thinking through the project & doing it the best I can...

Gotta admit, I didn't expect to have to section a pulley... I figured something was gonna fit...Nope...

I have done this a few times. Of course you need a lathe & not everybody has one [ or a 'favourite' friend ] that has one......

Yeah, I got that covered pretty well, wish I'd jumped in years ago.. Great thing to have access to..

It worked out well for me...

BOO 46.JPG

BOO 47.JPG

BOO 48.JPG

When I was doing this stuff twenty five, thirty years ago it was because nobody made parts to do what we wanted.... Now you can buy a kit for that... But the kit often takes the easiest route, not really the best route.... For those who chose easy the kits are nice... I prefer thinking through the project & doing it the best I can...

Gotta admit, I didn't expect to have to section a pulley... I figured something was gonna fit...Nope...
It's always nice to see when guys think around a problem and come up with a solution instead of a pages-long internet exercise in 'futility by committee' because there isn't a quick-and-easy 'kit' fix.
The first sentence of your post here says it all. We used to HAVE to figure out how to make stuff work, or we weren't making the Friday night street races, or the Avenue cruises...

What's satisfying is making something you can't buy and thinking 'this ain't gonna work' and then it does!! I have an 8100 series Gravely garden tractor and it has separate forward and reverse clutches...one on either side of the transaxle gear box and the reverse clutch hub is along for the ride majority of the time and after it was 34 years old, the splines finally went away. Yeah, cast iron stuff freewheeling on a steel shaft. Found a 3" long ID spline coupler, cut off the length needed and machined the hub for it and installed it .0005" tight and then staked it in 3 places for good measure thinking this isn't gonna work for long. Well, so far 5 years later it's still doing it's job. Now that I've said that watch it crap out again. Need to figure out what to do about the PTO coupler now. It's getting kinda loose.

I've done a Sanden in place of the RV2 on a small block before using the Bouchilion brackets & to be blunt, they suck....
To be honest I wonder if some of their brackets are drawn from Google Earth photo dimensions. Quite a bit of spacing is required on the small block intake for the support bracket on the Sanden. And I had to shave one of the other brackets to fit due to tight clearance.

Belt alignment is pretty good, won't finalize the P/S till I take the car apart... I have spare big block pullies & brackets but no small black power steering pump stuff...
Looks like the stock parts are going to locate the pump about .40 to far forward... Gonna have to make a new rear mounting bracket...

thumbnail_IMG_8391.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_8392.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_8393.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_8394.jpg

Last edited:
Belt alignment is pretty good, won't finalize the P/S till I take the car apart... I have spare beg block pullies & brackets but no small black power steering pump stuff...
Looks like the stock parts are going to locate the pump about .40 to far forward... Gonna have to make a new rear mounting bracket...

View attachment 1559430View attachment 1559431View attachment 1559432View attachment 1559433
Have you thought about running a snake belt system? They even soak up less hp.....

Have you thought about running a snake belt system? They even soak up less hp.....
I already have V belt pullies... I had to modify the alternator pulley but I didn't have to make or buy it... The A/C compressor also was a V belt design real Sanden (not a Chinese knockoff) & I got it years ago NIB for cheap... So no, not gonna bother with a serpentine system... Honestly Serpentine systems look to modern on old cars IMO... It's bad enough using a non-OE Alternator & Compressor but I care about reliable more than OE...

Got my belts aligned about as close as I can now.....hopefully no more jumping off under high RPM's.....

1700351739989.png

1700351772128.png

1700351813654.png

Changed the dual groove to a single groove alternator......much easier to align now. :thumbsup:

Kiwi,
Your alt groove does not seem wide enough for that belt, could be why it is throwing belts....

Auto Transport Service
Back