• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I think I broke it already

Did you find out what that deathly sound was?
The local transmission guy watched the video and immediately said "rear main bearing".
I said well get to it, son. :)
He replaced both main bearings and a couple miscellaneous small parts he didn't like the looks of, put on new gaskets and was done.
I reckon that was it. She's quiet now.
Knock wood. :)

What I learned:
1. I learned to listen to actual experts like Dan Brewer and the folks at Centerforce.
It simply doesn't get any better when it comes to these 4 speeds and clutches.
2. I learned to trust my own mechanical instincts again, after some folks had me talked out of that.
In the end, I kinda knew what was up with the transmission; I just didn't know anyone local to address it.
Now I do. :thumbsup:
(At least something good came from using this local mechanic...)
3. Sometimes throwing big money at something to get "the best" - is simply a waste of money.
4. I've also learned that even in the hallowed halls of Mopar enthusiast websites (even this one - shocker!) there are self-proclaimed "experts" who will tell you to do something that is contrary to what the actual experts did (and contrary to your own instincts as well).
When you ask questions or want to discuss what they've said (because it doesn't make sense to you), they'll get defensive, then sometimes downright rude and insulting.
I actually quit the moparts site over the quantity of such sanctimonious ******** - and yes, we've got a few here, too, apparently.
That's all right.
I ain't going anywheres. :thumbsup:

Car drives fine, by the way. :)
Always go with your gut instincts!Although most posts are very close.

Ed, you have to realize that everyone here is trying to help everyone; BUT 2nd hand access can only be so much help. 1st hand,usually(?), is better; 10 looks & 20 opinions. Nature of the car-beast!

Ed, you have to realize that everyone here is trying to help everyone; BUT 2nd hand access can only be so much help. 1st hand,usually(?), is better; 10 looks & 20 opinions. Nature of the car-beast!
Oh, don't get me wrong. I totally agree with that and I've gotten TONS of help and support here.
It's just one or two that want to denigrate and belittle at the first opportunity. You know the type. They'd never talk to you like that in person (because you'd likely put them on their asses if they did), but behind a keyboard far away, they're all that. :)

To wrap this whole adventure up, today was the annual car show for the local cancer support group.
Hotter than hades already, too. No matter, I cleaned the GTX up last night, then we packed up and headed on over
to town for a nice leisurely test drive.
There was some seriously nice iron there, but as usual the GTX got her share of attention and didn't give us a moments'
worry:
32290665_1933035240042688_112178958019067904_n.jpg

I reckon we'll call it good and move on to the next project on her.
Thank you very much to everyone who tried to help. :)

32414359_1833825596639726_5193130070960504832_o.jpg
32267233_1833827389972880_6543030926224392192_o.jpg

Man, it got hot out there. Pushed 90F after a bit, had to bail finally. Heat and I don't get along very well these days.

To wrap this whole adventure up, today was the annual car show for the local cancer support group.
Hotter than hades already, too. No matter, I cleaned the GTX up last night, then we packed up and headed on over
There was some seriously nice iron there, but as usual the GTX got her share of attention and didn't give us a moments'
worry:
View attachment 605102

53fd8a1a1b1254301ae808ab39321e3b.gif

Looks real good! Glad you can enjoy that beauty.

car show rogersville furniture may 2018 5.jpg

Starting to get other folks' pics of the GTX from today like this one.
That's me trying to hide in a tiny bit of shade back there. :)

View attachment 605214
Starting to get other folks' pics of the GTX from today like this one.
That's me trying to hide in a tiny bit of shade back there. :)

You're on the road to becoming a celebrity!

It's a good feeling to get it to this point and be able to enjoy it. I went to my second local show this morning and I'm liking it!

Looks great :thumbsup:

Beautiful car!!
What is the colour code? R6?
My Sublime green '69er originally was R6 red, and i am thinking of bringing it back if i get to a full paint job.
Your car motivates me to stick to that plan :)

worry:
View attachment 605102

Great to see you enjoying it !!!!

Beautiful car!!
What is the colour code? R6?
My Sublime green '69er originally was R6 red, and i am thinking of bringing it back if i get to a full paint job.
Your car motivates me to stick to that plan :)
Actually, it's something the former owner came up with over 10 years ago. Formula:
P1000969.JPG

The car was originally this color:
DSC05059.JPG

You're on the road to becoming a celebrity!

It's a good feeling to get it to this point and be able to enjoy it. I went to my second local show this morning and I'm liking it!

Looks great :thumbsup:
Thanks KK. You know I love your ride too.
In a small town like this one, the GTX sure sticks out in a sea of bowties and blue ovals, that's for sure.

Great to see you enjoying it !!!!
Thanks much, it sure is!
Oh man, that reminds me of what happened after I finally had gotten it to the store the other day after all the escapades with the clutch...
sorry, I got another little story to tell. :)

EPILOGUE - CHAPTER II
When I got it to the store that day, I took it by the gas pumps first, then went to the grocery store next door.
As you all know, when you take one of these old Mopars out, folks tend to want to stop and chat here and there and they pay compliments, tell anecdotes and so forth. It's just something you have to learn is going to happen, even if you find yourself in a hurry or don't really feel up to it - like I was at that point.
I was dirty, hot, sweaty, burnt up and exhausted, but I managed to chat with the few folks who stopped and gave a thankful smile to each.

I got in and out of the store and was headed back out to the GTX to go home finally, walking a ways out to it where I had parked it out past the other cars
when I caught sight of an elderly couple off to my left, parked across the aisle from her.
I thought "oh man, I'm so tired and not really presentable in public. I hope they don't want to chat."

Well, you know better than that - and I did, too. I felt a little ashamed of myself for thinking it, too, but man I was just done after the whole ordeal, you know?

Sure enough, the gentleman meekly approached me at an intercept angle as I got close to the GTX, smiling weakly.
His wife looked pensive, like she was used to him doing such things and sort of wishing he wouldn't - but then, a lot of us know that look in our spouses. :)
I finally told myself to be polite and behave myself and show respect like I'm supposed to.
I looked at him and said something like "you like that old car?" with a smirk.
He grins big and says "yes sir, very much so!"
I acted like the car wasn't mine and retorted with some sort of wisecrack like "I wouldn't have that thing if you paid me!"
I instantly regretted saying that. It was a stupid, uncaring thing to say, even in jest...
I thought "he doesn't know what all you've been through today, dumbass. Your mama taught you better than that, Ed. Straighten up!"

I quickly confessed the GTX was in fact mine and his grin returned to his face. He took my hand and shook it and we chatted some. I thanked him for his compliments and so forth, but I kept noticing his wife's expression wasn't matching his. She looked a little sad, forlorn....
so I tried to include her in our conversation, too.
He wanders off to fetch a shopping buggy and she then thanks me for taking the time to chat with her husband.
As it turned out, some 20+ years ago he had bought an old Mopar to fix up, too. He was doing it with his then son as sort of a project for both of them to get together a little more often and share in, a bonding thing.
...and then their son had gotten cancer, the terminal kind, and had passed away.
The car never got done and languished in their garage for a few years. The father never touched it again and eventually she talked him into selling the project just to get it out of sight finally.
My heart sank. I was flummoxed....

I felt so ashamed that I had tried to get past them on the way to the car before. I was just so tired, hot and nasty...
I hadn't realized at first that this was one of those moments, but I caught on pretty quick, as if mama was telling me from above to show respect like I was raised and to stop being so self-centered.
I apologized to the elderly lady for my behavior and for the first time, she too managed a weak smile.
She said "no no, thank you for taking a moment to speak with him. Your car reminded him of that old project and you've made his day now by taking a moment to chat."
I heard my mama's voice in hers right then, no joke.
Suddenly, it didn't matter how worn out I felt or how nasty dirty or hot or whatever.

You know how God puts you exactly where you need to be sometimes?
Yeah, it was like that.
Question was - was I put there for the benefit of brightening up the elderly gentlemens' day or my own?

The answer was both, methinks. :)

Glad to see your enjoying the X finally. You learned some things along the way too!

Enjoy all the stories and memories the old car stirs up in people. (Even the ones where their memory is off a bit...)

Glad to see your enjoying the X finally. You learned some things along the way too!
Enjoy all the stories and memories the old car stirs up in people. (Even the ones where their memory is off a bit...)
I've always been a type "A" personality, 200mph until I run out of gas, especially since my own "2 minute warning" with the cancers and dying and all that back in 2013 - always feel like I'm running out of time.
I'm learning better than that anymore, though.
I'm noticing things I never did before, slowing down enough to do so. Things that actually matter I think.
Life may be sort of forcing me to slow the hell down, but I do see the actual worth of it all now.
It's all humbling stuff for sure. :thumbsup:

Auto Transport Service
Back