• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I think I broke it already

Hey Fran, thanks. Yep, sure is.
By the way, did I mention I'm an idiot? :)
I love when I'm an idiot when the fix is easy !!!!! So the car should be ready to cruise, engine running fine, rebuilt tranny and the mystery noise gone . Now just get in and ride !!!!!

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Ed, you could’ve thought up another reason- broken ceramic insulator slid down to block the spark plug electrode(saw it once). Glad it was easy. Jeff

UPDATE 4-20-18:
I get done with work stuff and it's time to face the music awaiting me in the garage...
Plugs all gapped (all the store had were NGK V-Power. Yeesh.)
I get to where I'm feverishly working away at replacing the plugs on the worst side (passenger).
First two from back to front sure enough are gas-soaked.
Then I pull #4 and hmmm, not so bad.
I'm holding that plug up to have a closer look and then I spot it:
View attachment 601222

My immediate reaction:
View attachment 601226
View attachment 601227
View attachment 601228
View attachment 601229

Mopar 3b called it....and I'm an idiot.

Went ahead and replaced the rest of the plugs, capped off that damn port (I need to find a 3/8" plug to do the job right!) and hit the key.
Yep, she sings like she always did.

Did I mention I'm an idiot?

I saw that in your picture of the carb linkage but you were talking about plugging up the pcv hose. That's a big vacuum leak!

Get err done! :thumbsup:

I love when I'm an idiot when the fix is easy !!!!! So the car should be ready to cruise, engine running fine, rebuilt tranny and the mystery noise gone . Now just get in and ride !!!!!

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Your fingers to Gods' ears, my friend. Thanks!

Ed you keep us on our toes, most of the time we make things more complicated then they are.Glad all is well.
Nothing is easy with this critter, that's for sure - but with it being a Frankenstein of all sorts of different year parts (and the fact it arose from the dead to begin with), there's bound to be a lot of head-scratchers for sure. Thanks!

Ed, you could’ve thought up another reason- broken ceramic insulator slid down to block the spark plug electrode(saw it once). Glad it was easy. Jeff
LOL When I looked up and saw that port, there might as well have been that DA DAAAAH music of discovery in the background. :)
Thanks as always, my friend.

I saw that in your picture of the carb linkage but you were talking about plugging up the pcv hose. That's a big vacuum leak!

Get err done! :thumbsup:
(Goes back to look at pic)
Damn, you're right! Man, why didn't anyone say anything? Why didn't I see it? Sheesh...

Lol, I figured you had your pcv hose there and knew it was off. It's all good!
Naw, it's hooked up to the front base of carb like normal. I reckon that port is supposed to be for power brakes.

Naw, it's hooked up to the front base of carb like normal. I reckon that port is supposed to be for power brakes.
Screw it out and screw a pipe plug in it if you're not useing it. A rubber cap could blow off if she encounters another backfire.

Screw it out and screw a pipe plug in it if you're not useing it. A rubber cap could blow off if she encounters another backfire.
Yeah like I said earlier, I need to fetch a 3/8" plug - at least, I think it's 3/8".

Can't believe it wasn't whistling Dixie. Put on a hemi intake on and started car heard it whistle. Somebody drilled through heat tube mounting holes, $50 manifold. Put a bolt in hole good to go.

Maybe a blessing in disguise. If you plug it, the pressure in a backfire has to go somewhere and could cause more damage. Now that you know what it was, maybe leave it the way you had it capped. Keep a spare in the car if it blows off again and disappears.

UPDATE 4-20-18:
I get done with work stuff and it's time to face the music awaiting me in the garage...
Plugs all gapped (all the store had were NGK V-Power. Yeesh.)
I get to where I'm feverishly working away at replacing the plugs on the worst side (passenger).
First two from back to front sure enough are gas-soaked.
Then I pull #4 and hmmm, not so bad.
I'm holding that plug up to have a closer look and then I spot it:
View attachment 601222

My immediate reaction:
View attachment 601226
View attachment 601227
View attachment 601228
View attachment 601229

Mopar 3b called it....and I'm an idiot.

Went ahead and replaced the rest of the plugs, capped off that damn port (I need to find a 3/8" plug to do the job right!) and hit the key.
Yep, she sings like she always did.

Did I mention I'm an idiot?

Not an idiot, Ed. Just one of us....Glad things are, once again, okey dokey.

Not an idiot, Ed. Just one of us....Glad things are, once again, okey dokey.
Thanks, Dave.
Hey, you are running the Centerforce clutch also, right? I have a couple questions if you don't mind?

Glad you found the issue. Now......get busy smashing bugs on the windshield :)

Auto Transport Service
Back