• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I think it's time to sell, but wiw?

Saw a couple of auctions last fall 2 cars like mine didn't do well.

True that. Sales are a funny thing. An ad can bring tire kickers and thieves (buy your vehicle for a ridiculously low price)
Auctions have captive audiences. People go there with the intent to buy. They are pre approved for X amount $$$ and no tire kicking or wheelin' and dealin for a lesser price. When you get 2 or 3 buyers bidding against each other things can get real stupid.
The prices those cars sell for in those extremes aren't necessarily real world numbers. One sale can be artificially low where the other is too high.
I want to comment on Auction Houses.
This a place for chest thumpers.People with mega money. I played this game 20 some years ago selling.
As stated, the buyers like to go head to head the car is secondary. Had 2 guys bidding on stage,this happens with the real chest thumpers. The one said to the other "Go ahead let's see how much you got.I don't care whatever it is, I'll bid more."
Or you get the guy with the hottie on his arm saying "Buy that one it's pretty."
It's a fantasy land. Also one last thing. If you are not in the who's who as a seller you can get burned bad by the House.

Just take it to PM's so it's not a public offering...
Though I no longer build/sell anymore,this statement from 1 Wild R/T rings true.
I did the best finding buyers that list WANTED ads.

I want to comment on Auction Houses.
This a place for chest thumpers.People with mega money. I played this game 20 some years ago selling.
As stated, the buyers like to go head to head the car is secondary. Had 2 guys bidding on stage,this happens with the real chest thumpers. The one said to the other "Go ahead let's see how much you got.I don't care whatever it is, I'll bid more."
Or you get the guy with the hottie on his arm saying "Buy that one it's pretty."
It's a fantasy land. Also one last thing. If you are not in the who's who as a seller you can get burned bad by the House.
Back to the story of GTX number five- It seems consistent with the auction theme that the car hasn't been driven since I sold it. To that crowd, it's just a trophy. The folks at the other end of the spectrum who low balled me were looking for drivers. For cars that don't push the buttons of the auction buyers, the market is significantly discounted. I sold Baby Blue (nice numbers matching driver) for less than half what number five hammered for this spring.

Last edited:
get the guy with the hottie on his arm saying "Buy that one it's pretty
Yep, have noticed the dudes with a 3-decade younger gal on his arm pretty obvious not being their daughter, bidding on rides in the six-figures acting all superior. They likely never changed the oil in a vehicle. And it’s some of those sorts (with or without money) who will act like they know ALL about cars having never worked on one.

Okay, have some residual irritation having had a friend (former) who was all gaga about German made cars over the cheap-crappy American made like ones I had. Was a service writer at a BMW dealership last I heard a decade ago. I’d say fine pal, ya like those, not my cup a tea. Don’t know much about them and won’t pretend I do. Among all the hours working on cars, restored three vehicles, American ones, over sweat, blood, swear words, etc. And I’m supposed to listen to this guy who never turned a wrench brag about his well-used beeeemer plus tell me all about what’s wrong with my rides? Lol

Yep, have noticed the dudes with a 3-decade younger gal on his arm pretty obvious not being their daughter, bidding on rides in the six-figures acting all superior. They likely never changed the oil in a vehicle. And it’s some of those sorts (with or without money) who will act like they know ALL about cars having never worked on one.

Okay, have some residual irritation having had a friend (former) who was all gaga about German made cars over the cheap-crappy American made like ones I had. Was a service writer at a BMW dealership last I heard a decade ago. I’d say fine pal, ya like those, not my cup a tea. Don’t know much about them and won’t pretend I do. Among all the hours working on cars, restored three vehicles, American ones, over sweat, blood, swear words, etc. And I’m supposed to listen to this guy who never turned a wrench brag about his well-used beeeemer plus tell me all about what’s wrong with my rides? Lol

I bought my 66 VIP from a 21 year old kid who claimed he was a tech at a Mercedes dealership. Nice kid, I had no problem with him, and he was very enthusiastic about the car he called 'Big Bitch'. It ran a bit rough and when my brain automatically did the 18436572, I saw that two of the plug wires were reversed. I didn't say anything, negotiated a discount for that and a failing vinyl top (now a hardtop), and bought the car.

As an aside, my buddy Lee and me at the Hot August Nights auction in Reno last year. Lee was a seller and buyer, and I was an observer. I did throw out one bid to impress my hot chick of 36 years. We had a blast and are going back this year. Maybe I'll meet up with some of y'all!

20220805_093252_1660015485975 (1).jpg

I've owned my 67 Belvedere II convertible for almost 24 years. Dang, I wasn't even 24 when I got her.

Well, as the years go by she sits more and more. We live down a 1/4 mile of dirt road and that's a big part of it. Plus my wife and have realized we don't care for the sun shining on us, so we only drive her when it's cloudy or at night. It's just time to move on. We both want something smaller and more modern. A GT car we can use for weekend getaways.

I feel bad for letting her go, but if we aren't going to drive her we don't need her.

If I list up all I can, can you guys help me put a value on her? Also, what forms of payment are people using these days? I just sold an old Jeep and insisted cash. I would like to think I can get a lot more for the Plymouth and not sure cash is the way to go.

Thanks...

View attachment 1462644
y ? what r u going to get?

What's not been mentioned is there is a difference between looking thru buying eyes. Or from selling. Thus difficult. When I see posts like yours. I'm typically looking thru buying eyes. Even if the task is to just help determine fair price. I think its the nature of car folks. So sales metrics from sites that have been suggested is likely less bias.

JMO.

I've owned my 67 Belvedere II convertible for almost 24 years. Dang, I wasn't even 24 when I got her.

Well, as the years go by she sits more and more. We live down a 1/4 mile of dirt road and that's a big part of it. Plus my wife and have realized we don't care for the sun shining on us, so we only drive her when it's cloudy or at night. It's just time to move on. We both want something smaller and more modern. A GT car we can use for weekend getaways.

I feel bad for letting her go, but if we aren't going to drive her we don't need her.

If I list up all I can, can you guys help me put a value on her? Also, what forms of payment are people using these days? I just sold an old Jeep and insisted cash. I would like to think I can get a lot more for the Plymouth and not sure cash is the way to go. BTW, Hagerty puts your car in good condition at $20,000

Thanks...

View attachment 1462644
I never deal in anything but cash. Most serious buyers of our type cars know this is usually the way it's going to be. Research, Research and more research will tell you a close value on your car. Be realistic and always build a little cushion in there to bargain with. I usually ask 10% more than I want and then deal from there. Watch out for scammers. They are hiding behind every tree these days. Good Luck with your sale. Btw, Hagerty puts the value of you car at $20,000 in good condition

I never deal in anything but cash. Most serious buyers of our type cars know this is usually the way it's going to be. Research, Research and more research will tell you a close value on your car. Be realistic and always build a little cushion in there to bargain with. I usually ask 10% more than I want and then deal from there. Watch out for scammers. They are hiding behind every tree these days. Good Luck with your sale. Btw, Hagerty puts the value of you car at $20,000 in good condition
I've done certified checks that can be confirmed with a quick call to bank. So far no issues. That can present a problem for Sunday sales. But many banks now have conformation practices. Seller needs to make call to the bank listed. Not some number given by the buyer. Its not that difficult. And removes possible issues with dealing with cash. Especially $thousands.

Just checked my 67 Coronet vert on Haggarty, down 10%.
Wah checked my vert 4 or 5 ago thought it was down 18% but used calculator and it was down almost 22%. Missed the market again. Value of my car is back to 1988 value.

Yeah, I was originally thinking high teens, with $15k being my bottom dollar. Sounds like I wasn't far off. I've always said it's better to price high and come down. You can't go up. I've found that when someone is truly interested in the car and not just a flipper or keyboard warrior they'll take the time to check it out and work a deal. I'm looking for that person.

I also would prefer to not see her again, especially if she ended up like Ron's GTO. That would kill me. I know it's just a car, but it's also a lot of hard work from me and 24 years of my life.

Maybe start it at $22k and see where I get?
I think that’s a solid idea. Start at $22k, go down to $18k, and you’ll probably sell it for $16.5k

For me? Some is about to whom is buying? I will sell at a lower price to a younger, but eager kid that I know doesn't have the means to pay more. But I like this buyer. Holding out for that last $500 or even $1k+ isn't that important to me at this stage of my life.

I guess what I'm saying, there's more to the appreciation of classics than just a few bucks. I'm not at a point where I can just give things away. But certainly closer as retirement is coming up faster than I realized.

I hope you get a price that satisfies both parties. And I understand. Buying is more fun than selling.

Yep, think about the prospective buyer’s character after the shitshow selling my GTO (posted about that earlier). My dear departed mother had her favorite cars and later in life had a vintage Riviera she loved. After years of WI winters it rusted to chit. Kept it alive long after it was ready for scrap. Told her let me look for one from a better climate since I had done car buying like this several times. Found one sweeter than I thought I would with only 30k on it. Flew out to buy it and drove it home.

Lol, then she was afraid to drive it despite my urging to enjoy it while she could! So kept in in my garage and drove it more than she ever did, while she kept putting money into her old one. Grr. Ended up she left it for me when she passed. Put it up for sale and a guy 60 miles away wanted to buy it and sold it for less than I was asking. Lol, this guy was around 80, tall lanky sort and watched him wriggle in and out of it thinking, nah, he wouldn’t buy it. Could see the guy loved it, was the car he wanted. Felt nice to let my mom’s ride go to him. Hope he’s still enjoying it.

Ok, Based on details shown and mentioned. IMO low 20s is possible. but not likely .

Ive looked at a few 66-67 B body convertibles the past few months ( maybe 4 or 5 ) priced from mid 30s down to mid teens

The mid 30s car and the mid tens car are still no sale. The ones that did sell were decent drivers - one sold 18k, ( 383 auto blue with blue interior,,) the other low 20s ( 318 auto red with red interior ) Both were 67 Satellite convertibles

I've made an offer on the one owner has priced at low 30s and so far no deal....Yet
And out of the ones Ive looked at to date it's the best one of the bunch, 361 auto. And this is a done turnkey car.

Last edited:
hello
I started to look/shop to purchase over the last 2 years and bought last fall.I realized that I wasnt going to have time to wrench and restore so I bought a turn key drive away from a Dealer here in Ontario.
I looked at many B body hard top and raggers.Buckets,console and big block cars were more $$ obviously.
I am in marine /power boat sales which is a similar but completely different business lol.
Based on my experience I think Haggerty value tool seem to be pretty accurate with the real world for price accuracy and many of the car dealers see to be inline with them.

cheers

forgot to say .... regarding selling and collection of money.
Bank drafts or certified checks up here mean there is a paper trail for the taxman to ta the DMV.
Cash allows the buyer to pay less taxes or sure does up here in tax land lol.
WE pay 13% on bill of sale value !
I had no choice buying from a dealer but was happy with my purchase even after the 13 %

hello
I started to look/shop to purchase over the last 2 years and bought last fall.I realized that I wasnt going to have time to wrench and restore so I bought a turn key drive away from a Dealer here in Ontario.
I looked at many B body hard top and raggers.Buckets,console and big block cars were more $$ obviously.
I am in marine /power boat sales which is a similar but completely different business lol.
Based on my experience I think Haggerty value tool seem to be pretty accurate with the real world for price accuracy and many of the car dealers see to be inline with them.

cheers
Hagerty makes the point that "colors can significantly affect price and saleability." My own experience has indicated that their numbers tend to be based on the more desirable colors. I've discounted for less popular shades, both as a buyer and a seller.

Auto Transport Service
Back