• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I think I've had it with my hydraulic roller cam

PeteyDaMan

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:13 AM
Reaction score
It's driving me crazy!!
I can't get rid of the lifter tap on this stupid cam/lifters
I've adjusted lash 5 times (1/2 turn preload past 0 lash) just like Comp specs for the 8921 roller lifters
Cam is a Comp 23-712-9
I've tried it cold, hot, warm, full moon, and 3rd Sunday of the month and nothing helps

The engine runs fine. Idles great, pulls strong but the lifter clatter is always there pretty much throughout the RPM range
It's a 512 with an Eagle stoker kit and Edlebrock RPM heads running 10.4:1

I'm seriously temped to get a solid roller cam such as the Comp CL23-741-9
COMP Cams CL23-741-9 COMP Cams Magnum Solid Roller Cam and Lifter Kits | Summit Racing

does anyone run this in their RB? If so, how does it perform and how loud/quiet is it?

Also, any idea on if I will need new pushrods? (assuming I will)

Had a Comp hyd roller in an RB, noisier than a SFT cam. I'm thinking someone else's lifters would be quieter, as most guys seem happy with theirs...but hell, maybe they're deaf !:lol:

What about just run solid roller lifters with hyd. cam. It's been discussed here.

1/2 turn is aprox .020 preload. Have you tried 1 turn? Some run as much as 2 turns. I thought Comp wanted .040 preload? 1 turn.

Which way are the lifter link bars positioned?

Lifter link bars are facing out into the lifter valley as per the instructions

according to Comp's installation sheet for these lifters it takes 1/2 a turn
https://static.summitracing.com/global/images/instructions/cca-850-16.pdf
Running Hughes roller rockers so 1/2 turn should do it
not to say maybe more might be better.....I have no idea anymore
That contradicts some other information they have. They claim .
Rocker Arm Adjustment/Lifter Preload
All but a few Chrysler engines were equipped at the factory with non-adjustable rocker arms. Anytime a solid lifter camshaft (either roller or flat tappet) is used, you must also use the adjustable rocker arms and appropriate pushrods.​

When installing any high performance hydraulic camshaft, the lifter preload is something which must be considered. Too little preload will result in a noisy valve train, and too much preload will result in tight valves and a poor running engine. Either condition can result in less than expected performance or engine failure. After the cam, lifters and rocker arms are installed and prior to installing the intake manifold, you must check the plunger depression in the lifter. With the cam on the base circle (valve closed) the plunger in the lifter should be depressed .040”-.060”. With nonadjustable rocker arms, you must change pushrod lengths to obtain proper lifter preload. This is a delicate and time consuming process, so if you have any questions, contact the CAM HELP® line at 1-800-999-0853.​

Just wondering if you have a link for that?
I'd love to reference it with a call with Comp

Just wondering if you have a link for that?
I'd love to reference it with a call with Comp
Crank em down to .060, (1.5 turns depending on your rocker adjuster size) try it,

Then call comp...

It's driving me crazy!!
I've adjusted lash 5 times (1/2 turn preload past 0 lash) just like Comp specs for the 8921 roller lifters
Cam is a Comp 23-712-9
I've tried it cold, hot, warm, full moon, and 3rd Sunday of the month and nothing helps

The engine runs fine. Idles great, pulls strong but the lifter clatter is always there pretty much throughout the RPM range

COMP Cams CL23-741-9 COMP Cams Magnum Solid Roller Cam and Lifter Kits | Summit Racing

does anyone run this in their RB? If so, how does it perform and how loud/quiet is it?

What weight oil are you running? I ask because I had trouble with tap on stock engines with factory hydraulic rollers using 10w30. Went to 15w40 and dang near got rid of it all. This was on the Magnum 3.9's and 5.2's of the mid 90's and early 2000 engines.

It's driving me crazy!!
Cam is a Comp 23-712-9

Call iskaderian speak to cam people instead of idiots at Comp who know nothing

Your valve springs could be too stiff of an installed height/peak lift. This causes the lifters to bleed down at lower oil pressures(idle)

Also remember all pushrods not equal to others in the same package. They all must match in length. Just one push shorter than the other will cause clatter. One adjustment for all maybe wrong. Adjustment done get your 40 on every lifter not just a turn or turn plus. Measurements are everything.

If you don't want to EVER hear lifter tick, just switch to solid lifters. They can be used with hyd cams iiiiiiiiiiiiif you keep the lash tight, 0.006/0/0.008", engine hot. I would spend the extra money & buy bushed lifters.

according to Comp's installation sheet for these lifters it takes 1/2 a turn
https://static.summitracing.com/global/images/instructions/cca-850-16.pdf
Running Hughes roller rockers so 1/2 turn should do it
not to say maybe more might be better.....I have no idea anymore
Do you know the exact part number of Hugh's roller rockers you have?. I'm wondering if we have the same ones. The part number for mine was #91774 and are made by Gaterman. They are supposed to be good lifters but sure are noisey.

Last edited:
It's driving me crazy!!
Cam is a Comp 23-712-9

Have the same cam, and the Hughes lifters set to 0.040" pre-load. Engine is not quiet, but I think much of the sound is from the roller rockers and roller cam button?

Have the same cam, and the Hughes lifters set to 0.040" pre-load. Engine is not quiet, but I think much of the sound is from the roller rockers and roller cam button?
I'll give it another 1/2 turn to get to .040
I have a lot of the same sounds and thought the same about the cam button and roller everything

I've run one solid roller cam and non roller rockers. It worked very well for me. It was an Isky 660 lift and the engine wanted to keep on going past 7500 and still pulling well but that's where I stepped out of it. Usually shifted at 69 and crossed at at 73....10.68 @ 126. The whole valve train was Isky.

Auto Transport Service
Back