• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I think I've had it with my hydraulic roller cam

I have a 426 Max wedge and a 542 440 Stroker. Same problem you are having. I called the Cam Hotline at Comp cams The tech told me to go .050 to .080 past zero lash. This take some calculating for your Rocker setup but in my case comes ort to 3/4 to 1 turn. Still have clatter. Same cam in both engines. In the Stroker engine completely assembled by the engine shop, after 5 miles the end broke off of one of the push rods. New set 5 more miles another end broke off. I put a set of Diamond push rods and the problem went away
What threaded adjusters do you have. Typically .040 preload is one turn on a common 3/8 24 threads per inch. If your breaking push rods something is wrong. Length, coil bind, excess spring pressures. Stroker has nothing to do with it.

What threaded adjusters do you have. Typically .040 preload is one turn on a common 3/8 24 threads per inch. If your breaking push rods something is wrong. Length, coil bind, excess spring pressures. Stroker has nothing to do with it.
Also valve spring retainer hitting valve guide/oil seal.

You wanna get rid of the noise...permanently? Use sol lifters, adjust lash to 0.006/8", hot.

I have a 426 Max wedge and a 542 440 Stroker. Same problem you are having. I called the Cam Hotline at Comp cams The tech told me to go .050 to .080 past zero lash. This take some calculating for your Rocker setup but in my case comes ort to 3/4 to 1 turn. Still have clatter. Same cam in both engines. In the Stroker engine completely assembled by the engine shop, after 5 miles the end broke off of one of the push rods. New set 5 more miles another end broke off. I put a set of Diamond push rods and the problem went away

I haven't used off the shelf pushrods in 30 years. I always measure for pushrod length and then custom order the pushrods from Smith Brothers pushrods.
Because the pushrod holes in the heads are sort of small, and spring pressures not that high, I just used 5/16" x 0.083" wall pushrods. I think the length was 8.450" ?

The lesson for me that hyd rollers aren’t always real quiet was my 93 Dakota with the 3.9 Magnum in it.
I bought it new........ and the valvetrain was always pretty noisy.
I drove it for 145k without ever pulling a valve cover.
Sold it to a friend of mines kid a few years ago...... still going strong afaik.

So, “some” noise isn’t necessarily a reason for concern.
You may have been hearing the injectors firing and mistaking it for lifter noise.

Auto Transport Service
Back