• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I want to try a different hood scoop......

2014-11-19 16.19.18.jpg2014-11-19 16.21.36.jpgSo far this is what I have built. Looking for some kind of dome so I can cut out the rest of the hood to get it to close.
What I have here is a a spectre twin opening over the 1050 dominator with flex pipe to the headlight openings that have a 6" to 4" tapered sheetmetal so I get smooth un restricted air. Sorry the pic inserted upside down but you get the idea. Anyone who knows where I can find a hood dome let me know. Thanks

actually there are no air cleaners for this setup. This is a drag car only so not driving around in traffic. I will make some plugs just to transport it.

it looks like you could mill off some of the bottom of that Spectra Dual Plenum Snorkel thingy
& use a smaller retention devise, than that big a$$ nob
& possibly get most if not all of it, under the hood surface

I'd also suggest,
to put some aluminum inner fender panels, won't be much weight at all,
you could just use a couple tabs &/or Dzus fasteners, to hold them in,
to help to keep the open front end, from acting like a big wind damn/parachute also,
you very well may also pick up some et/mph there too...

Possibly, another suggestion, from the friendly peanut gallery...LOL

You could close off the area around the radiator too, top bottom sides, tapered into
direct the air thru the rad., not under hood or around the suspension/wheels/engine,
anything like what I suggested in both these critical areas,
would help allot with the aerodynamics, it's already like a big brick...
Anything will be better than a completely open front end,
I'm not trying to be overly critical or cynical, pick it apart, I'm just trying to help,
your so close to the 10's now, only a few minor improvements like that,
details would/could do it maybe !!

good luck have fun

I dont think I can take anything off the plenum
the knob is just what I had laying around that I use to put a cap on the carb when not driving.
the top of the 1050 is at the top of the hood so no that wont matter it just sit where it sits.
I do like maybe the inner panels idea. I may look into that.
That was something I was thinking about trying to make this car a bit more aero dynamic It seems to me this may be a good way to try to pick up some time.
Those induction tubes are where there were tow holes ( no headlights) I think if this was in a wind tunnel you could really see whats going on. I notice the hood is wanting to lift when I an draging it down the track. The scoop was only a part of this but my thoughts big scoop big opening to the engine compartment. So this is my winter plan.
I dont take offense at anyone throwing in suggestions. thats why we are here.
So thanks for your comments.
I will hit tens this season. Its part driver.

Here is a cowl on a early B body for you, its a glass hood 8" glass cowl. As much as I would prefer a max wedge scoop for looks this certainly works for the particular situation.

Attachments

• 63 polara 500.jpg
    63 polara 500.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 207
  • front.jpg
    front.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 216
Here is a cowl on a early B body for you, its a glass hood 8" glass cowl. As much as I would prefer a max wedge scoop for looks this certainly works for the particular situation.

Who makes that hood? that might be the hot ticket for me since I haven't placed my order for the new hood scoop yet?

Auto Transport Service
Back