• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ideas on a set of rollers/cart for shell of a car?

Matts68bird

Local time
12:19 PM
Reaction score
In the process of restoring my 68 roadrunner. looking to see what others have done when they take there car down to the shell and still have it mobile. Seen the caster idea and the cart. plan on welding something up myself just want to as around and see what the best route is there to take.

Matt

Swivel casters work well bolted to the the front bumper mounting holes
and the rears bolted to the front spring hanger points.

Swivel casters work well bolted to the the front bumper mounting holes
and the rears bolted to the front spring hanger points.

I still need to crawl around in the car as well. much bodywork is still needed. With those points being one of the stronger points of the car if not the strongest, i should be fine right? Do you feel i should tie them all together? The idea is to get the car on a trailer and have it blasted. Don't want it to twist or bend? I'm probably overthinking all of this just wanna be safe.

thanks,
matt

Casters have come along way in the past 5-8 years. Better quality, materials and cheaper. It seems to me, from what you're facing I'd seriously put some thought into a rolling rotisserie. If you're not removing/replacing full quarters, rockers, valances, package tray, floor pans, etc. you'll be fine. If you are pulling major unibody elements you'll need to jig during that process.

Plent of cats here that can lead to their threads. Members projects is a great place to start reading...

Is this high enough for ya? lol.. I made these for less than $140., bought the scaffold wheels (swivel and brake/lock) at Northern Tools, got the metal from scrap yard. I also have stationary feet that go on in place of the wheels. The feet are height adjustable. Wheels and feet were most all the expense. I have hauled it on a trailer with no probs. Tieing them together is not really necessary. Very easy and inexpensive to make. Or you can buy shorter ones from uscar tool for about $450. I also made, and sold some of, the dollie stands in the last pic which worked ok, and are handy.

Attachments

• IMAG0999.jpg
    IMAG0999.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 281
  • IMAG1000.jpg
    IMAG1000.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 285
  • IMAG1057_zpsc0b32aef.jpg
    IMAG1057_zpsc0b32aef.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 259
  • 161_zps56dbf9b2.jpg
    161_zps56dbf9b2.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 267
Casters have come along way in the past 5-8 years. Better quality, materials and cheaper. It seems to me, from what you're facing I'd seriously put some thought into a rolling rotisserie. If you're not removing/replacing full quarters, rockers, valances, package tray, floor pans, etc. you'll be fine. If you are pulling major unibody elements you'll need to jig during that process.

Plent of cats here that can lead to their threads. Members projects is a great place to start reading...

Thanks man i wish i could go that far, but I'm limited on space. so a rotisserie would be more of a wish than a reality. I'm going to see what i have laying around in the shed. if not ill look into some casters.

matt

- - - Updated - - -

Is this high enough for ya? lol.. I made these for less than $140., bought the scaffold wheels (swivel and brake/lock) at Northern Tools, got the metal from scrap yard. I also have stationary feet that go on in place of the wheels. Wheels and feet were most all the expense. I have hauled it on a trailer with no probs. Tieing them together is not really necessary. Very easy and inexpensive to make. Or you can buy shorter ones from uscar tool for about $450.

this is the route I'm going to take. thanks for the pictures! where did you happen to mount the front casters? Front bumper mounting holes?

Thanks!
matt

- - - Updated - - -

Here's the post that I did back in January about the ones I built. Took me an afternoon and built mainly out of stuff I had laying around.

http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?85468-Inexpensive-car-dollies

great thread! got some good ideas! thanks for the post

this is the route I'm going to take. thanks for the pictures! where did you happen to mount the front casters? Front bumper mounting holes?

Thanks!
matt
I made my front stand brackets to bolt to either the K frame mount holes or the front bumper mount holes, either way works fine. K-frame mounted is stronger but front bumper holes mounted will help the car from wanting to wheelie. Some cars can tip backwards like a wheelie sometimes if you're not careful. And you will still be able to install the K frame and front suspension if you make your stands bolt to the bumper holes. Sorry don't have pic of the fronts. Also note that the rolling dollie jack stands (the red ones) are handy when you put the rear suspension on the car, which would keep you from being able to use the bolt on stands. Same for K frame and front suspension unless the fronts stands are in the bumper holes.

Last edited:
I made my front stand brackets to bolt to either the K frame mount holes or the front bumper mount holes, either way works fine. K-frame mounted is stronger but front bumper holes mounted will help the car from wanting to wheelie. Some cars can tip backwards like a wheelie sometimes if you're not careful. And you will still be able to install the K frame and front suspension if you make your stands bolt to the bumper holes. Sorry don't have pic of the fronts. Also note that the rolling dollie jack stands (the red ones) are handy when you put the rear suspension on the car,which would keep you from being able to use the bolt on stands. Same for K frame and front suspension unless the fronts stands are in the bumper holes.

great thank you for the reply! looks like thats my next task.

matt

I was thinking it might help if i were to install bolt on frame connectors, as well during this process. was going to buy some down the road, i don't see why it would hurt!

let me here what you guys think also if you know of any reputable brands to use! "rather not get the weld-ons"

thanks
matt

Matt

Sorry, can't help you with any bolt-on info. Why do you prefer them? JMO, I think the weld-ons may be stronger, as long as you weld them to the floor pans, like the rest of the stock framework is. I also like the way they basically make the frame complete looking and functioning, front rails to rear rails. And they are not hard to install while the floor pans are out especially, which makes you able to weld them so much better. For the most part they make a unibody into a full frame car. The only drawback I can see is they are harder to remove or reverse to stock, which I'll bet may be your reason for preferring the bolt-ons. It will be interesting to see what others think.

Matt where you at in Illinois? I'm in Trenton IL near Scott AFB. I just picked up a set off craigslist and if close could use them as a pattern to make some. These bolt to front bumper brackets and rear spring area. Are adjustable also.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 258
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 264
Sorry, can't help you with any bolt-on info. Why do you prefer them? JMO, I think the weld-ons may be stronger, as long as you weld them to the floor pans, like the rest of the stock framework is. I also like the way they basically make the frame complete looking and functioning, front rails to rear rails. And they are not hard to install while the floor pans are out especially, which makes you able to weld them so much better. For the most part they make a unibody into a full frame car. The only drawback I can see is they are harder to remove or reverse to stock, which I'll bet may be your reason for preferring the bolt-ons. It will be interesting to see what others think.

that is exactly the reason. i plan on keeping the car, and never can leave things alone. i did some mods on my motorcycles in the past, and know that i will be goin back to stock with them in the future. thats the only reason. just so i can bring it back to stock if i need to without the crazy hassle.

matt

- - - Updated - - -

Matt where you at in Illinois? I'm in Trenton IL near Scott AFB. I just picked up a set off craigslist and if close could use them as a pattern to make some. These bolt to front bumper brackets and rear spring area. Are adjustable also.

i actually just found some casters i took off an old welding table and will be making the brackets/mounts here early next week. thank you for the post and reply tho! all you guys been so helpful. i really don't know how long they will be on my car so to borrow would not be the right thing to do. To get the dims ill just make a cardboard cutout and punch them out at work. really appreciate the offer tho man!
matt

threw these together with some cutoffs from work. Found some scaffolding casters off a old welding table as well. Ill be putting them on soon. Thanks for all the help guys!

Attachments

• IMG_6228.jpg
    IMG_6228.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 148
Nice! Those look better/prettier than my old rusty scrap metal ones, I'm jealous. Maybe you did already, but I'd weld those gussets all the way up. Found a pic of my fronts mounted to K frame spots (before I drilled holes for bumper bracket mount). You may want to weld the mounting nuts on the rear stands. It makes them a lot easier to install. I installed my rear stands before welding the nuts on, then tack welded them after tightening to make sure they were lined up right.

Attachments

• IMAG1002_zpsca475483.jpg
    IMAG1002_zpsca475483.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 140
Yeah i was thinking the same thing. Rather be safe than sorry.
keep it strong.

Auto Transport Service
Back