• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Identify this motor

megaivtes

Local time
11:44 PM
Reaction score
1st post...looking at possibly purchasing a 66 satellite that has a transplanted 383 big block.
Trying to identify the motor, but it looks to me that it has the wrong radiator. Can some of you guys chime in and give me some possible guesses?

mysterymotor.jpg

Must have been built by some Chevy guy. Black engine bay.
Have you checked the engine tag by the distributor. Also check the drivers side block for casting dates.
Top hose looks out of place.

It was probably, originally, a 318 "Engine"

mmo3201210.jpg

And just kept the 318 Radiator

chappell644.jpg

This is a 383 "Engine" Notice the difference in the Radiators

Why? Big blocks a big block. And i actually prefer an upper hose like that for my big blocks. More room to work around the distributor,use a timing light etc. Course I like mine modified. Cars that is.

would there be any difference in the cooling capabilities for a 318 vs 383 radiator?
I'm new to the mopar scene. Can't wait to be behind the wheel.

There is very little difference in the cooling capacity between a 318 and 383 radiator with the same width. However, the main difference really is the configuration. On small blocks, the water pump inlet points toward the passenger side whereas, the big block, as least most of them, the water pump inlet points toward the driver's side. This, of course, makes a difference as to the location of both the top and bottoms hoses.

The inlet & outlet hoses will not be on the same side of the radiator, especially with and older design unit which has the cooling jackets going vertically. If both hoses are on the same side of the radiator, then the pump will pull the hot water directly down from the inlet hose and back into the engine without doing much cooling at all.

I have a motorhome 440 in my roadrunner which has the water pump inlet on the passenger side instead of the driver's side so my hose looks like the one in the picture you posted. As long as the configuration is correct and it is a good radiator, you should be fine. Mine rarely gets above the warm up line and it's only a 22" radiator.

I run a mopar radiator in my big block dart. Both inlet and outlet are on the drivers side. Its an o. e. unit out of who knows what. Anyways I took the top tank off and rodded it out myself. The top tank has a baffle that carries the incoming water to just short of the fill cap. Had to have a shop solder it back up. Cools very well.

Why? Big blocks a big block. And i actually prefer an upper hose like that for my big blocks. More room to work around the distributor,use a timing light etc. Course I like mine modified. Cars that is.

I know you know you have a 383 in your car, but consider the differences in what is likely a radiator from a 318 car. There are differences in radiators, as pointed out above.

You are new to Mopars, so here is your first lesson - a Poly head 318 as in the picture is NOT a Mopar big block. You'll sometimes hear them referred to as "wide-block" 318s, but there is nothing in common with the Poly engines and the Chrysler big-block engines. You've probably heard the term "big-block 318" of which there is no such critter.

A Poly 318 is also known as an "A"-engine.
The 273, 1967-1992 318, 1971 - 1992 360, and the 340 are all known as "LA" blocks. And all of these are small-block engines.

Big blocks: 350 (a 1958-only engine), 361, 383, 400 are "B" blocks.
The 1958 - 1959 383, and all 413, 426W and 440 are "RB" engines, as is the 426 HEMI.

ALL Mopar big-block engines have the distributor up front. ALL Mopar small-blocks have the distributor at the back of the engine.

Last edited:
I know you know you have a 383 in your car, but consider the differences in what is likely a radiator from a 318 car. There are differences in radiators, as pointed out above.

You are new to Mopars, so here is your first lesson - a Poly head 318 as in the picture is NOT a Mopar big block. You'll sometimes hear them referred to as "wide-block" 318s, but there is nothing in common with the Poly engines and the Chrysler big-block engines. You've probably heard the term "big-block 318" of which there is no such critter.

A Poly 318 is also known as an "A"-engine.
The 273, 1967-1992 318, 1971 - 1992 360, and the 340 are all known as "LA" blocks. And all of these are small-block engines.

Big blocks: 350 (a 1958-only engine), 361, 383, 400 are "B" blocks.
The 1958 - 1959 383, and all 413, 426W and 440 are "RB" engines, as is the 426 HEMI.

ALL Mopar big-block engines have the distributor up front. ALL Mopar small-blocks have the distributor at the back of the engine.
I know you mean well. I appreciate that. However,I was refering to the car the OP was talking about. My mistake. My dart has had a 426 max wedge,several 440s,the latest is 493", t-flight,4 speed and clutch flight transmissions. And would a 392 hemi be considered a big block? Been running one blown and injected for a few years now.

Auto Transport Service
Back