• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Identifying a cam

Rustydustydoc

Local time
11:05 AM
Reaction score
I bought my car and it had this cam with a brand new box of roller lifters inside the car. I cannot seem to find any information on it, the previous owner passed away. Can anyone help me? The car has a 318 in it.

IMG_0590.JPG

The number on that end is usually the cam core number. There should be numbers on the front end of the cam.

I don't see any other numbers except by the gear. One side says 58 the other says 29

Is the cam a roller, or a flat tappet? If you can't tell, post a pic of a lobe, we can tell.

With no numbers, or even a brand, its possibly a late model stocker, or a regrind . The only way to find out what it is is to put it in an engine with a degree wheel and a dial indicator and measure. You can maybe get a vague idea, by measuring the lobe across the base, and then across the lobe, and multiplying by the rocker ratio, to get valve lift.

With no numbers, or even a brand, its possibly a late model stocker, or a regrind . The only way to find out what it is is to put it in an engine with a degree wheel and a dial indicator and measure. You can maybe get a vague idea, by measuring the lobe across the base, and then across the lobe, and multiplying by the rocker ratio, to get valve lift.

That's what I figured. Thank you!

just do a base circle calper check to see if a regrind
check the base against the lift and report

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back