• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

If I knew then what I know now...

prvtmotors

Local time
1:07 AM
Reaction score
New member but have frequented this site several times over the last 3 years. I started building a 1969 Roadrunner. Car came with a perfect body. A 440 and a 727. Seemed simple enough. Put the motor in the car with the tranny and go!

Well 3 years and tens of thousands of dollars later, I finally thought today would be the day that I drove the car. Once shifted in R or D, the car shuts off completely and sets my dream right back to square one.

I will post my issues deeper in the appropriate channel and pray for a miracle on this but I figured there was no better way to introduce myself.

Aside from the current issues the car that I hope to resolve in the next 24 hours, I look forward to being a part of this community!

IMG_5112.JPG

Welcome to the jungle... Car looks sweet, Little old school hotrod flavor.... Now it's time to get it running sweet... My first thought is electrical, maybe a bulkhead connection or a fusible link....

Actually after re-reading I take that back.... Set the rear axle on jack stands with the wheels off the ground & try putting it in gear with the brake released....

Welcome to the jungle... Car looks sweet, Little old school hotrod flavor.... Now it's time to get it running sweet... My first thought is electrical, maybe a bulkhead connection or a fusible link....

Actually after re-reading I take that back.... Set the rear axle on jack stands with the wheels off the ground & try putting it in gear with the brake released....
Electrical is the LAST thing I'm hoping for lol

New member but have frequented this site several times over the last 3 years. I started building a 1969 Roadrunner. Car came with a perfect body. A 440 and a 727. Seemed simple enough. Put the motor in the car with the tranny and go!

Well 3 years and tens of thousands of dollars later, I finally thought today would be the day that I drove the car. Once shifted in R or D, the car shuts off completely and sets my dream right back to square one.

I will post my issues deeper in the appropriate channel and pray for a miracle on this but I figured there was no better way to introduce myself.

Aside from the current issues the car that I hope to resolve in the next 24 hours, I look forward to being a part of this community!

View attachment 1532372
Welcome from NJ!
IMG_3926.gif
IMG_3890.gif
IMG_3817.gif
IMG_3719.gif
IMG_3528.gif
IMG_3402.gif
IMG_3296.gif
IMG_3277.gif
IMG_3275.gif
IMG_2869.gif

Welcome from CT. I'd look at neutral safety switch/Linkage adjustment? Temporarily bypass the NSS by grounding the wire on the relay. Don't drive the car like that!!

Welcome from the former home state of you new neighbors.

First start on my '66 Belve II, Poly 318 & 727:
I clocked the distro in the area of where it 'should be'. Car fired right up. Did not verify timing, but immediately ramped up idle to 2,000 rpm to break in cam/ lifters. (I had a less than stellar cam break-in results on a pickup years prior...suspect excessive time fiddling with timing at idle may have contributed to it).

20 min later, no leaks, no overheating...idled it back down. It 'sounded' fine, so I took it for a roll thru the hood...it had NO power...and would stall. Turned out I was further off on timing than I thought.

Corrected timing...readjusted carb mixture & idle with a vacuum gauge attached...re-tweaked timing (rinsed & repeated until I was satisfied), and it was like 'nite turned to day' (music...angels...clouds parted, etc). Hopefully your fix is as simple as mine was.

First start on my '66 Belve II, Poly 318 & 727:
I clocked the distro in the area of where it 'should be'. Car fired right up. Did not verify timing, but immediately ramped up idle to 2,000 rpm to break in cam/ lifters. (I had a less than stellar cam break-in results on a pickup years prior...suspect excessive time fiddling with timing at idle may have contributed to it).

20 min later, no leaks, no overheating...idled it back down. It 'sounded' fine, so I took it for a roll thru the hood...it had NO power...and would stall. Turned out I was further off on timing than I thought.

Corrected timing...readjusted carb mixture & idle with a vacuum gauge attached...re-tweaked timing (rinsed & repeated until I was satisfied), and it was like 'nite turned to day' (music...angels...clouds parted, etc). Hopefully your fix is as simple as mine was.
This is what I'm hoping for. However, running the EFI system lets me know its definitely not vacuum. I'll be adjusting the timing asap and getting back to y'all!

I'll tell you what, I'll come get your car running, test drive it and make sure that it is running properly if you teach my wife how to not clip a curb

16961079686541658677174187153617.jpg

Nice ride. If the car runs and sounds good in park or neutral then you shift to D or R my guess something electrical.

Nice project

welcome to FBBO from NorCal Sierras

Welcome from Alabama, a brighter picture would be nice, but won't make it run better.

Auto Transport Service
Back