• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

If you could go back in time

I think every one of these forums get a thread like this and the majority of people say Hemi or 6 pack car however I think these comments are based on modern times with prices being what they are. Many people don't realize that "back in the day" Hemi can 6 pack cars were expensive and in many cases problematic. Sure, we all would love to have a high end car today that is worth 6 figures today but back then if you needed daily transportation many people made other decisions.
Should I call the numbers and see if they sold ? If they sold we can start a new thread lolz

man the prices

My only regret is not getting that blasted Hemi in my Bee. But, $500 was a lot of Money back then!

My only regret is not getting that blasted Hemi in my Bee. But, $500 was a lot of Money back then!
That's the whole thing , it was a lot of money, your right.

Ordered a 71 Cuda in May 71.
Who would of known at that time i would keep it for 45 years.
I already put one thousand dollars of options on it, but looking back i kinda, sorta, wished, i put a few more on it, like air conditioning, and the console cassette tape player, when those tapes were the in thing.
And a different color to either white, blue, or black, from the Sherwood green color that i got.

Jim 1971.jpg

Last edited:
Ordered a 71 Cuda in May 71.
Who would of known at that time i would keep it for 45 years.
I already put one thousand dollars of options on it, but looking back i kinda, sorta, wished, i put a few more on it, like air conditioning, and the console cassette tape player, when those tapes were the in thing.
And a different color to either white, blue, or black, from the Sherwood green color that i got.
I like that green

Hemi Cuda 4 speed convertible.
I wish my dad had held onto some of the mopars he once owned.
I remember him having a 1969 Road runner Convertible Yellow with black interior
with a 4 speed. I couldn't have been over 6 years old but I remember that car like it was a week ago.

Other than the GTS, if I could go back it could be for this car in 1978..

upload_2021-7-3_14-47-45.jpeg

Or in 1983 I had to pass on a 1970 440+6 Cuda, shaker, 4 speed, super trac pac, B5 and a black interior, $2500 wife said “sell the dart and you can get it but the motor was out of the car at the time, oh well next time, yeah right....

Cliff Ramsdell

I’m sorry but why do you guys listen to these women ? I mean if it’s your money and you want it to make yourself happy do it !!
If someone is going to leave you over buying a car oh well you can’t lose what you never had.
I just don’t understand why a lot of guys leave these decisions to women. When was the last time they called you to ask you if they could buy kitchen utensils and an expensive purse

One car would not really be enough as i would want a fast but practical daily driver AND an uncompromised performance car.

If i could have two it would be easy.

1971 Oldsmobile 442 W30 Coupe with about every option including A/C and automatic as daily driver

View attachment 1132376

This if i could have special ordered it in this color combo.
Of course R/T with a Hemi.

Otherwise probably this color scheme (maybe add a black vinyl top)
3853_p16_llpjk4.jpg

Or the one mine has. (Green with black vinyl top)

Not sure if automatic or manual.
I would need a manual car for a few weeks to really find out what i prefer.

-----

If i could really have just one car it would be a very hard decision.
What i hate about the mopars is you got so little working room, especially compared to the gm cars.
But on the other hand, as nice as something like a 1970 ls6 chevelle is, the ls6 ain't no hemi.
And A/C was also not available with the ls6 as far as i know. (Same deal with the hemi unfortunately)
So that makes them a bad daily driver.

Probably would go with the olds if i could really have just one.
I hate to say it, but if i could only have one car its probably the best compromise for my personal requirements.

I’m sorry but why do you guys listen to these women ? I mean if it’s your money and you want it to make yourself happy do it !!
If someone is going to leave you over buying a car oh well you can’t lose what you never had.
I just don’t understand why a lot of guys leave these decisions to women. When was the last time they called you to ask you if they could buy kitchen utensils and an expensive purse

My wife thought I was CRAZY for bringing home a Free Hemi car.
She has seen what I'm capable of and knows I can make things come back to life but she knows it's going to cost money even if the car was free. In order to get the car back on the road was going to cost a lot of money. She also didn't think there was any help for the engine because it was seized. What women don't know won't hurt them. Just do you. Do what makes you happy.
For me, I'm not happy if I don't have a project to work on.
I'm 46 years old and retired. Full medical retirement after 2 back surgeries and a left hip fusion. A bad accident left me damn near paralyzed and wasn't sure I'd ever walk again. It wasn't easy on me or her at the time. I went through 2 years of physical therapy and another 3 years working my *** off to get better. I still have my struggles from time to time but I do what makes me happy and she pretty much goes along with it even if she may not see my vision.

My wife thought I was CRAZY for bringing home a Free Hemi car.
She has seen what I'm capable of and knows I can make things come back to life but she knows it's going to cost money even if the car was free. In order to get the car back on the road was going to cost a lot of money. She also didn't think there was any help for the engine because it was seized. What women don't know won't hurt them. Just do you. Do what makes you happy.
For me, I'm not happy if I don't have a project to work on.
I'm 46 years old and retired. Full medical retirement after 2 back surgeries and a left hip fusion. A bad accident left me damn near paralyzed and wasn't sure I'd ever walk again. It wasn't easy on me or her at the time. I went through 2 years of physical therapy and another 3 years working my *** off to get better. I still have my struggles from time to time but I do what makes me happy and she pretty much goes along with it even if she may not see my vision.
exactly ! mall the dumb gfs I had that gave me grief about buying some of the cars I own. Well guess what ? They’re on the sidelines because I have equity in every car I own and I have fun they probably spent the same amount of crap like clubbing, drinking, more debt, nonsense and they’re still the same person.

I remember this bone head x gf I had that got upset because I bought a 1970-73 really sport complete camaro front end for 400 dollars but when I sold it for 2200 because the repro sucks and fits like crap unless you spend more than that on body work and time she changed her tune

exactly ! mall the dumb gfs I had that gave me grief about buying some of the cars I own. Well guess what ? They’re on the sidelines because I have equity in every car I own and I have fun they probably spent the same amount of crap like clubbing, drinking, more debt, nonsense and they’re still the same person with nothing to show

I remember this bone head x gf I had that got upset because I bought a 1970-73 really sport complete camaro front end for 400 dollars but when I sold it for 2200 because the repro sucks and fits like crap unless you spend more than that on body work and time she changed her tune

If I had a time machine I'd have 'not sold' a few of my old racecars
Especially my Pro-gas 49 Ford Tudor Businessman Coupe
with the 526cid Milodon Mastadon Hemi Blown FI combo
or my last 23 Altered, with the Blown FI Milodon Hemi still in it
or the 27 Brogie T altered (with a BBC pro-stock combo)
Budnicks 49 Ford Business Coupe Pro-Gas #4.jpg

Budnicks 23 T Ford Altered Crower Inj. #1.JPG

I'm sure I had good reasons for selling them, at that specific time
but in hindsight I regret it

I wish I could get back my 69 RR (org. 383 4 speed)
I had in the mid 80's
not matching #'s, I had put a built 0.030" over 440
with STR 14 6bbl, Hemi 18 spline 4 speed, 3.91:1 or 4.10:1 gears
Cragers etc.
Budnicks 69 RR 440 str-6bbl #1.JPG

I wish I still had my 1st Charger 68 R/T GG1 black top & guts/console,
A/C I took off almost as soon as I bought it (young kid 15)
probably had 5-6 different engine trans combos, a 513cid stroker early on
later a repaint to 77 Corvette Bright yellow, huge mistake
But;
I sold it after some 15 or so years, to my cousin
& he totaled it, like 2 weeks later
(No digital photos)

I bought a "what nowadays would be a true barn find"
68 Barracuda BO29 426/727tf,
from a guy, a HS friends Patric Fulton's father
literally out of his haybarn, been sitting since 1969
up in the Sierras, it was like 1983-84-ish
It was dirty as all get out, rats & nest etc.
I put another good amount of $$ into it, a s much as I paid,
getting it running & driveable, mostly rewired it, rebuilt the Hemi & TF trans,
did brakes & lines, new tires, all the rubbers, new seat covers
replaced the side windows (hard as **** to find that thinner glass) etc.
then I sold it...
I got extremely frustrated
I couldn't drive it on the street or register it at the time...
I had no intention of racing it, it was outdated for that era...
I had other cars at the time, far faster cars,
I didn't really think of the long term...
68 Barracuda Hemi SS BO29 unpainted as delivered.jpg

(no photos at all, I was never much on photography, no digital photos)

I'd like to go back & talk my stepdad Bob
out of selling his racecars
I'd give him a stack of cash even double or triple what he sold them for
it would have still been a steal...
S/S M/P 70 GTO Judge Ram Air III w/Ram Air IV heads & exhaust, 4 speed
or his M/P 68 Firebird 400 Ram Air I 4 speed
I was only like 13 when he sold them...
He bought a damn used POS, old Cutty Cabin Cruiser Boat with the $$$
sold them for chump change
(I don't remember exact amounts)
I think my mother had something to do with it too...
I loved her dearly, so did he, but she was a tough/strong minded gal...
(my stepdad was whipped too, but he gave her a good life)

He/Bob also had earlier sold his daily driver
an old Bronze colored/LA raked, nose down 35 Ford Pick Up,
Buick Powered, Muncie 4 speed, Magnesium Halibrands/slots & Cheater slicks...
Just after he married my mom in Sept. of 1965, I was like 6...
He sold them to put a bigger down payment on a new house in Concord...
I'd have given him 2-3 times what he sold it for...
Hell maybe 10 times, I loved that lil' hot rod truck...
That Truck, in just a few rides, was probably the start of
me being a total gearheard...

If I had the cash & a time machine
I'd go to Plymouth Dealerships & buy every 70 Superbird
Hemi Powered & 4 speed pref.
&
Go to Dodge dealerships & buy every 69 Daytona Charger
Hemi Powered & 4 speed pref.
Maybe even a few E-bodies 'cuda or Challengers too

I'd probably go to places like Mr. Norms Spauding Dodge
or Baldwin Motion
or Don Yenko's dealership
or Nicky's Chevrolet
& get every speciality car they could come up with

or Dick Landy's Dodge
I'd Oder at-least 1 of each
LO23 Dart & BO29 Barracudas
68 Dart Hemi SS LO23 A-body Spec.s Advert. #1.jpg

68 Barracuda Hemi SS BO29 & 68 Dart Hemi SS LO23 #1.jpg

Last edited:
Easy one, Dads car. I would’ve made him not trade it in on a 6cyl Duster Rallye. 440/6 4 speed Super TrakPak car. The baddest car in our town, or any town for that matter!

77843362-8F7A-4597-9C0C-FA9D57F6064A.jpeg F9C64E6B-64B8-43A7-BAE8-14F9DF5E974D.jpeg

Would be good to know from what years these ads are so one would be able to correct prices to inflation and see how cheap or expensive they really were ^^

The Superbird ad is from around 78/79, I worked for Deals On Wheels and it was sent to me as an ad.

In 67 bought 67 Gtx 440 auto no power anything , all go , later bought used 68 charger orange and black vinyl top 383 auto , traded it in on Sunday with clear title in Houston tx at dealership in Gulfgate area , salesman showed me everything they had no muscle available that day , on way back to showroom, passed by new car make ready shed , there it was , just like it had just come off the mobile parking lot , oh wow , told him to stop , looked it over and said want to drive that ,was told not ready yet , but got someone to ck fluids and away we went, south on the Gulf Freeway, wide open , he was scratching for the oh **** bar , 1970 -71 sport Fury GT , beautiful medium metallic blue white vinyl roof and white interior , breathing fire and blowing exhaust , 440 6pack , but with 2.76 gears , top end was scarey fast , fine strobe stripes on sides , today I know only a very few ever had the 390 hp 440 in them maybe 3-5 , I had it for 6-8 wks , when we parked it in frt of the old Winnchester Dance hall over in Gallery area for a night of frolic, only to come out at 2:00am with a handful of cowgirl and find the car had been jacked for ever ! Never saw it again ! What a beautiful car ! Now ask me why I’ve always loved them Mopars !!

I bought and owned my dream cars back in the day.
If I could go back in time I would have stopped myself from selling them.

Auto Transport Service
Back