• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ignition module questions

win32exe

Local time
5:56 AM
Reaction score
Hey Folks, i am looking into replacing my ignition module to increase performance on my 67 belvedere, can someone tell about what i have now, i don't see a ballast resistor, and the module doesn't have the little raised part and heatsink like all the others i see online, also does the replacement have to be for 1967 like the car? i see some for sale that say 68-72 etc, the engine is not the original engine, its a 360 from the early 70s. what is the difference per year? different voltages? thanks for any replies.

thumbnail_image0.jpg
thumbnail_image1.jpg

That's a voltage regulator you pictured. . If your car is a 67 and the distributor is original it will have a points type distributor.

if it is points you can replace them with a pertronix unit which i believe is a direct bolt in..

if it is points you can replace them with a pertronix unit which i believe is a direct bolt in..
It could have a Pertronix in it. I see non factory connectors on the coil and the OP mentioned that it doesn't have a ballast resistor. If it has 2 wires coming out of the dist. housing it probably has been converted. Time to pop the cap for a look see.

ok, i see now that its the voltage regulator in the pic, looks a little like an ign. module, i thought the alternator had a built in regulator, so it looks like the distro has been swapped, anything i can do to improve ignition performance? what should i be gapping my plugs at? thx!

the guy i bought it from said it is a 360 4 bolt main from a truck or van 1971/72
Nope. 360's were 2 bolt but what ever. Hopefully Halifaxhops stops by and comments.

are there numbers stamped on the block somewhere i can google?
There should be a 360 cast into the block to the rear of the motor mounts. There is a machined pad on the deck surface, drivers side, just below the head.

Ok, back to your initial query. What is wrong with the ignition as it is now ? It's clearly not a points-type, if it's working properly, then in your case that's fine. Plugs at .035

yes it's working ok, just wanted to freshen things up, what i thought was an old rusty working ignition module, is an old rusty voltage regulator, guess I'm just trying to swap things out before they fail.

is it common to swap out the external regulator setup to an alternator with a built in regulator or do we leave them as is, is it like upgrading from points to electronic ignition, newer technology etc?

yes it's working ok, just wanted to freshen things up, what i thought was an old rusty working ignition module, is an old rusty voltage regulator, guess I'm just trying to swap things out before they fail.

is it common to swap out the external regulator setup to an alternator with a built in regulator or do we leave them as is, is it like upgrading from points to electronic ignition, newer technology etc?
I always believe that if something has lasted 20+ years and still works fine, let it do it's job... the newer stuff isn't made better honestly. I do carry a spare points dist and other parts in a small toolbox in the trunk though.. never ever want to need a tow :)

I always believe that if something has lasted 20+ years and still works fine, let it do it's job... the newer stuff isn't made better honestly. I do carry a spare points dist and other parts in a small toolbox in the trunk though.. never ever want to need a tow :)
agreed, i am picking up a spare voltage regulator for now...

yes it's working ok, just wanted to freshen things up, ... an old rusty voltage regulator,
remove it... tape off the contacts area, scuff it up, mist a couple of coats of spray paint on it... black, or aluminum... make sure you have a good ground contact area at the mounting screws, re-install your pretty VR

That is a Bosch type elec dist, used on Aussie Mopars. Also used on other brands. It has a 4 pin module, similar to GM HEI, under the cover on the side of the dist. I believe Summit et al might have sold a copy.

They are an excellent ign system, reliable, & no need to change it.

That is a Bosch type elec dist, used on Aussie Mopars. Also used on other brands. It has a 4 pin module, similar to GM HEI, under the cover on the side of the dist. I believe Summit et al might have sold a copy.

They are an excellent ign system, reliable, & no need to change it.
good deal, thanks team, i appreciate the help! i will leave the distro and refresh the cap and rotor as needed.

Auto Transport Service
Back