• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Ignition Switch vs Old Ignition Switch

JR_Charger

Local time
7:42 AM
Reaction score
The new switch -

steering_column_29.JPG

steering_column_22.JPG

steering_column_23.JPG

steering_column_24.JPG

The old switch/wiring harness has an orange wire that goes to a light in the PRNDL -

steering_column_28.JPG

steering_column_27.JPG

The new switch/harness has a small black wire in that spot, that goes to the back of the ignition switch. The old ignition switch doesn't have the small black wire.

I can pull the small black wire out of the connector, and put the old orange wire in it's place, but will the new ignition switch fail to work without the small black wire connected to anything?

Not sure, but it would help a lot if your pictures were more concise..... "apples to apples" may help.

Here's the back of the original -

steering_column_25.JPG

And the back of the new switch again -

steering_column_24.JPG

I cant see how pulling that black wire could have any effect.... as long as those five larger colored wires are in their respective positions in the plug, same as before. What year vehicle?? Charger?

Remove the small black wire from new switch Molex connector, tape it off. Transfer the orange wire from the old switch Molex to the new switch Molex in the position the small black wire was in. The small black wire is C-body only, brake warning lamp test circuit, goes to ground in the crank position.
Ignition switch instructions.jpg

Last edited:
I cant see how pulling that black wire could have any effect.... as long as those five larger colored wires are in their respective positions in the plug, same as before. What year vehicle?? Charger?

It's going on a 72 Charger.

steering_column_31.JPG

I suppose the way the too-long red and black wires have to loop around won't matter when it's all tucked up underneath the dash, but I can't say I'm happy with it. Now I wish I'd taken the time to shorten the wires. Maybe I still will, but I'm right on the fence and there are too many things demanding my time.

The red and black wire carry the most current, the original Molex terminals were underrated for that current. Verry common for those two terminals to overheat. The extra length on replacement switches allows these terminals to be by-passed on some later applications, see the Chrysler instructions above.

Recommend doing that as well, I’ll use Anderson Powerpoles as a replacement to the Molex.
IMG_0078.JPG

Hmm I could maybe see doing that on the red and black wires. Seems like overkill for the other ones?

Definite overkill on the few low current circuits in the plug, not for any of the ign switch circuits. The IGN1 circuit, while not necessarily as prone to overheating as others, tends to build up voltage drop at that connection and plays havoc with the charging system voltage at the battery.

Remove the small black wire from new switch Molex connector, tape it off. Transfer the orange wire from the old switch Molex to the new switch Molex in the position the small black wire was in. The small black wire is C-body only, brake warning lamp test circuit, goes to ground in the crank position.
View attachment 1496408
SCORE! Excellent information. This is why I love FBBO.

Auto Transport Service
Back