• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm Questioning My Taste In Automotive Wheels

Even though I am an A12 guy I do not like black hose reels. I typically don't like black wheels of any kind for that matter. What's the point? Without some color contrast you can't really see them against a black sidewall anyway - or maybe it's just my old, tired eyes... :lol:

Having said that, I'm not a fan of the oversized Rallyes either. Completely agree with the "shoes match the outfit" comment. I'd sell the Rallyes and buy a set of Magnums. JMHO.

the Ralleye wheels don't scale up very well in my opinion. The magnum 500/road wheels look much more "natural" when upsized. That said, I'd love to see the OP's car with upsized 17" or 18" steel wheels. still gives plenty of room for meaty sidewalls.

If you put meaty sidewall tires on 17" or 18" rims, you might have clearance issues when steering the front tires through the front fenders. I had to trim the front fenders on my Polara to allow 215R70 x 15 to clear.

P3020032.JPG

P3020033.JPG

Silver car with a black top.. I really think a set of Road Wheels would compliment that car... But I'd do 15x7 & 15x8....

View attachment 1594063

Then again Torque Thrusts would be another good choice...

View attachment 1594062
Me personally I like my 17” rims but I don’t like the bigger rallye or the rallye rim period. I’m going to drop the rear 1”. It sets a tad too high in the back for my liking.

C96414D5-1024-4CD4-921A-46C5A856ACBD.jpeg

Last edited:
Me personally I like my 17” rims but I don’t like the bigger rallye or the rallye rim period.

View attachment 1594220
WOW – that is pretty! Looks like a professional photo for a magazine, stellar! When I forked out for my magnum’s I wish those wheels would have caught my eyes sooner.

WOW – that is pretty! Looks like a professional photo for a magazine, stellar! When I forked out for my magnum’s I wish those wheels would have caught my eyes sooner.
Thanks! I plan on dropping the rear 1” it’s a tad too high for me. This car originally came with Rallyes and I gave them away lol.

Thanks! I plan on dropping the rear 1” it’s a tad too high for me. This car originally came with Rallyes and I gave them away lol.
Having toyed with upping and downing rides over the decades, I’m usually surprised how little adjustment makes a big difference…even a half-inch.

it’s tuff call , every car can have a different “ look” with a different wheel/tire combo . just by changing the wheel setup, you get a whole different look . going from rallies to road wheels makes two different cars ! add crager ss , or a set of centerlines , all different cars and attitude. endless possibilities… kinda cool !

This is a topic that is always subject to everyone's personal taste. Greg's car looks great with the wheel he has, good choice, but anything older than 1970 looks great with the wheels I have used many times.
20200802_180421.jpg

My post 70 look has been these, with these stemless stems or Foose Legend. Like Greg's, mine was lowered to hide the top of the tire, 2 inch drop spindles. I don't do plain steel wheels. I would do dog dish before I'd do plain steel. As I said, it's subject to personal taste.
PICT0051 (2013_06_04 19_43_54 UTC) (1).JPG
gor-vs407c_xl.jpg

it’s tuff call , every car can have a different “ look” with a different wheel/tire combo . just by changing the wheel setup, you get a whole different look . going from rallies to road wheels makes two different cars ! add crager ss , or a set of centerlines , all different cars and attitude. endless possibilities… kinda cool !
I ran body colour police wheels , with '69 Red Circle (to match red in R/T signs) hub caps on my '67 R/T. When I did this in mid-nineties, not very many people were painting police wheels body colour. After 20 years of this, I decided to change the look of the car. I agree that wheel and tire selection can greatly alter the look of one's ride. These choices can be very subjective.
When I built my 1964 Polara 500 convertible, I chose a set of 14 X 6 1/2 steel rims I had, mounting factory spinner wheel discs and whitewall tires. I don't think anything else would have looked as good, considering the factory paint colour. The whitewall on the tire complemented the white interior trim and top, I felt.

Carlisle 2000.jpg

P4300120.JPG

18.jpg

29.jpg

10.jpg

You hit the nail on the head with that one. I originally had some 3” blocks so I started playing with it. Those were way too low, bought some 2” blocks still too low. The way you see it now is factory ride height in the back. So I’m thinking 1” lower would be perfect. I like a little rake.

I ran body colour police wheels , with '69 Red Circle (to match red in R/T signs) hub caps on my '67 R/T. When I did this in mid-nineties, not very many people were painting police wheels body colour. After 20 years of this, I decided to change the look of the car. I agree that wheel and tire selection can greatly alter the look of one's ride. These choices can be very subjective.
When I built my 1964 Polara 500 convertible, I chose a set of 14 X 6 1/2 steel rims I had, mounting factory spinner wheel discs and whitewall tires. I don't think anything else would have looked as good, considering the factory paint colour. The whitewall on the tire complemented the white interior trim and top, I felt.

View attachment 1594293

View attachment 1594295

View attachment 1594301

View attachment 1594302

View attachment 1594303
The dog dish fad is overdone and boring, the R/T looks so much better with the torque thrust wheels!

you asked so I'll give my honest opinion

Almost anything other than painted steel wheels,
it's been way overdone, I look at that as cheap
makes the car look cheap
&/or poverty caps, also that's 1st thing people removed
after buying the car
on day 2-ish

car needs something era-correct
or a lil' bling
not too big of wheel, not over 18" in the rear & 17 in front
is my pref. if you have to go bigger diameter otherwise it looks cartoonish
especially on a 68-70 muscle car, they need some wheel & tire to fill the wheel wells
& no rubberband tires with lil' to no sidewalls

Some Cragers or Halibrands or Polished slots
or Torque thrusts (not the D versions)
a lil' wider tire p295/50/15 works well with the right BS
& taller in the back, like a 28"+ & a 26" front, like a p245/60/15
for a good stance

you'll get as many opinions as post here probably
don't build your car by committee
do what makes you happy
screw everyone else, that doesn't like it

to each their own

that's my $1.25