• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm Questioning My Taste In Automotive Wheels

ykf7b0

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:59 AM
Reaction score
I really like the black steel wheels on this car better than the oversize rallye wheels pictured below. If this car was mine and these two sets of wheels were my only option, I would bomb can those steelies with a fresh coat of black and roll. Which looks better to you?

1705638659689.png

1705638735996.png

Last edited:
The big Rallyes look like a bad match on that 68.
Look great on a 71 up B though.

I got to show you guys something funny.
This is late 70s and is my 69 ,
But made me grin when I seen this thread.
20200127_192235.jpg

This is a hard take. What is now vs what it shall be.

I agree on the black steelies on a patina survivor. But a finished project? Even if finished to street driver would warrant an upgrade to the wheels.

Back in the day. It's wasn't even a decision. Ditch the redlines and steelies. They performed poorly. And looked cheap. Many dealers ditched that. But today is not yesterday. So I guess it comes down to personal tastes. As it should.

I got to show you guys something funny.
This is late 70s and is my 69 ,
But made me grin when I seen this thread.
View attachment 1594055

slots are my fave......and I'm Hell bent on running them on my 68, maybe...... but I don't see many, if any, wearing slots

Last edited:
Silver car with a black top.. I really think a set of Road Wheels would compliment that car... But I'd do 15x7 & 15x8....

show-quality-silver-platinum-1969-plymouth-road-runner.jpg

Then again Torque Thrusts would be another good choice...

123069907d09374ef56127aec1f43c47.jpg

I like the Rallys. I bought this guy 6 years ago near Canadian border.

I didn't notice at the time. But the fronts are 14". The rear are 15". Which back in the day I was told was a no no.

In a test on a lonely highway I checked to see how accurate the stock speedo and tack. 3.54:1 Dana on 28" tires. 150 MPH Speedo just hit bearied. Tach showed just short of 6k. I backed off after hearing some valve float and fear of Cooper Cobra tires performance.

Cell phone GPS app had me at 142.8 MPH. Close enough old girl. Lol. So in closing. No evidence of 14" to 15" front/rear mix problems.

P.S. if you are to attempt take wiper blades off. Mine were not happy. Lol. They were forced up by wind to vertical and vibrated like they wanted to be ripped off the arms. But that maybe because rear is heightned with the taller tires and rims? My first GTX with simular tire height on front and rears did not do that. FYI.

Driver sidel.jpg

Last edited:
To me, a large diameter wheel/short sidewall setup looks better with the tops of the tires tucked up in the body, not visible from a profile like this:

1705649474624.png

Not bragging but I prefer this look:

10.JPG

When I put the engine back in after a rebuild, I had it like this just for the picture:

603 L.JPG

In the 80s, I had a Camaro that sat this low. I could barely clear a McDonalds Cheeseburger.

Last edited:
I like rallyes, but in the 15" size. I haven't seen any of the oversize versions that I liked. (Oversized road wheels can look good, and bad)
So I guess that leaves me with steelies. Next, black or body color? On that silver car with a black roof.... gloss black.
But,.... I would run dog dishes. I don't care for the naked steel look.
But if I had a third choice? First choice would be gray torque thrusts, in 17s. See post #9 here.

The rallye wheels look great on 70 and later cars,the Magnum wheels look great on any Mopar. I like all of the period correct aftermarket wheels. If you are going to run Modern aftermarket wheels a 5 spoke like KD has on his red Charger looks good. The modern 17 inch rallye wheels look great on 70 and later cars. They look out of place on the 68. I have the 20 inch version on my modern Challenger.

20230820_122455.jpg

The steelies work on that car, even dirty.

I don't care for the oversize rallye wheels at all, myself.

Last edited:
What 1 Wild R/T has pictured is what I like. Also 68-69 Plymouths are one of the few Mopars that looks good with aluminum slots. If you're broke and are still sneaking lunch money from your mom then black steel wheels are okay. That's for me though, not my car so my opinion doesn't count really.

You used to see "how much for the car without the wheels" quite frequently.

This is one of those cases.

Of all the choices for a vintage car the only thing I would put on it other then steel rims is American Racing Mags.

1705670553386.png

These two options are a choice as I personally just prefer the "all business" poverty look.
But that's why cars come in different colors and there is more than one type of bread.
Think Magnum 500s.
Big rims for better handling?
How fast am I really going to go?
Some other subjective considerations.
1. If it's a girly car (like a 67 coupe Mustang) the ARM rims give it a more muscular vintage road racer look.
2. Steel rims are more durable and I drive my cars.
I've got two bent Cop rims in the scrap pile from when a buss ran me over some traffic dividers at 50 MPH.
But that's a long story. My A body survived with just a bent LCA.
3. Too much "bling" on a car is a goofy look.
4. Big rims on a vintage car be lookin' like this.
Welcome.png

Last edited:
I like the Magnum's. They would look real sharp on that silver car with a black vinyl top.

Auto Transport Service
Back