• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm thinking about adding FI to my stock 318?

Whenever I start to think this way i do a cost benefit analysis and the cost involved and the return on the investment is never worth it IMO.

But it's your car and your money...Have fun doing whatever you decide!

Nope, never done any EFI on my old junk and never will unless I absolutely have to....and imo, I'll be dead before that happens.

Go for it and let us know how it works. Don't do it for fuel savings though. You will never recoup your investment. One of my tool trucks had the old analog Holley set up on the 454 Chevy. It was nice to hit the key and it would start but other than that, it didn't get any better mileage than the old Quadrajet. 5.5-6 mpg either way.

Go for it and let us know how it works. Don't do it for fuel savings though. You will never recoup your investment. One of my tool trucks had the old analog Holley set up on the 454 Chevy. It was nice to hit the key and it would start but other than that, it didn't get any better mileage than the old Quadrajet. 5.5-6 mpg either way.
I think the aftermarket stuff is similar to the early factory EFI stuff. Funny how my 87 Dakota (only year for a carb on those) got 20% better fuel mileage than my 95 or my 96 Dakotas. The newest factory EFI does do much better but man, gotta look at that system to see why lol

I'm tired of the stink in my garage, tired of electric pump priming after a 2 day set time, the carb needs a new acc. pump, and I like FI.
Mike
Sounds like you answered your own question....

I'm tired of the stink in my garage, tired of electric pump priming after a 2 day set time, the carb needs a new acc. pump, and I like FI.
Mike
I like the stink in the garage! Makes me feel young again!

So, when you were a kid and was in a toy store, your Mom said no, you don't need that!
And when you were in the grocery store, your Mom said no, you don't need that!
And now that you're an adult and I say no, you don't need that!
You can do whatever you want and tell me to go F%#* myself!
You couldn't do that with your Mom now, could you?

Mike
You asked for opinions, here is one you didn't expect:
What the heck....GO for it, The car will start better in the cold weather, keep the oil cleaner and probably emit less smog.
It may not provide much of a power or mileage increase because most aftermarket EFI systems are essentially the antiquated throttle body system that the OEMs abandoned quickly. The dry manifold, port injected designs are a noticeable improvement.
You'll still see improved drivability for cold and hot weather.

I have a 66 318 and went with Fitechefi.com plan on an efi tank with pump and new fuel lines. All available from tanksinc.com The benefits for me are easy starting, runs very well, oil is definitely much cleaner longer. No high idle during warm up. If you do it right you won't regret it. If you try to do it on the cheap then you'll regret every minute. JMO

Has anyone added FI to a stock poly?
Mike
I toyed going EFI on my 62 Dart 440 318 Poly. Its rather pathetic currently with the 2bbl. One solution I entertained was using a LS4? MPI EFI Intake (I am told port spacing is very close), fab a set of head to intake Alum adaptors, to also give a slightly longer runner length, and add a aftermarket ECU EFI unit, dual sync Distributor, and call it a day.
But then I thought, why bother, I have plenty of already running 360/408's sitting around that are much lighter. I have little fondness for the Poly, solid as the motors are.

Last edited:
Have you thought of swapping in a motor from a 1982 Imperial? I didn't think so! LOL

Auto Transport Service
Back