• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Increasing rear tire clearance in a '70 Charger.

Looks good!
I have an off topic question- what rear disc brakes are you using?
Looks like the same caliper I have, I just don’t know where they came from. They were on the car when I got it.
Thanks!

In 2006 I bought the rear disc kit from Dr Diff. It uses Toyota rotors, Ford Mustang calipers and a mounting bracket made by Dr Diff himself.

So were the tub patches you used from a Ranger or full size? They turned out awesome! Thanks again for posting this, makes me think I could manage it.

The tubs were from an F-150 but I can’t recall the year. I was just looking for any donor that had a round shape. Many are flat across the top. Mine are 18 gauge, slightly thicker than the 20 gauge metal the stock B-Body wheel tubs are.

I went on a 900 mile road trip a few weeks back.
Spring Fling in Southern CA. I had tire rub a few times but only with a full trunk, full tank two people and a hard bump. Otherwise, it was fine. I drove around with 2 passengers for most of the time and never had any tire to tub contact.
I declare this a WIN.
I also met a couple of car forum members some of you might recall. Lennard from Dodgecharger.com and Chris Birdsong. Lennard had his Hellcat powered 69 Charger there. Chris complimented me on the detailed thread I started on my Tremec 5 speed swap. That was nice to hear.

On the Jigsaw car, I cut along the ridge line and also made cuts perpendicular, then pushed all the flaps toward the quarter panel.

View attachment 1235874

View attachment 1235875

View attachment 1235876

With that ridge now essentially Inverted, I welded up the seams.

View attachment 1235877

View attachment 1235878

Next was seam sealer in case there were any pinholes, then undercoating.

View attachment 1235879
View attachment 1235880
Hi Kern Dog,
(Sorry guys for a question on an old post)

The car I bought already had the paint done as well as a mighty fine job in the trunk. I want wider tires, but I do not want to tub my '69. I really like what you did here and it appears as though I might be able to get, say 2" more width on my tires. Also, I am lifting the car by about 1" front and rear.

My question was whether or not you think I could do this cutting method without screwing up my paint? I would imagine with a small hobby type cutoff wheel, with cooling the steel with towels, that I could keep the area cool.
I would also think that if I cut the "strips" as you have done, that I could make them narrower to be able to easily bend them out without possibly pushing out the fender. I am not going to weld the area up to keep the area cool during fab and I thinks that a simple fill job and undercoating would hide the work pretty well.

What would you do in this situation? I greatly appreciate your comments.
Dave

I did “Jigsaw” First to see how it would go. It looked like I was able to get it done with no damage so I did almost the same to “Ginger” my red car.

81BAEEAE-8085-46AE-8E85-F838BC5321C2.jpeg

17025A95-FBEB-48EA-B89D-4B69BB9CCED7.jpeg

I actually bought a tube of panel bond adhesive to do the job on the red car. The original plan was to cut the outer tub for clearance and then use the panel bond to “glue in” the patch panel. I ended up welding it in but was careful about it. No long welds that would create too much heat. All welds were an inch or less at a time to allow cooling. The only risky area was at the bottom edges since it was closest to the painted areas. Further up was relatively easy since it was far enough away from the quarter panel.
good luck.

I did “Jigsaw” First to see how it would go. It looked like I was able to get it done with no damage so I did almost the same to “Ginger” my red car.

View attachment 1423699

View attachment 1423698
I actually bought a tube of panel bond adhesive to do the job on the red car. The original plan was to cut the outer tub for clearance and then use the panel bond to “glue in” the patch panel. I ended up welding it in but was careful about it. No long welds that would create too much heat. All welds were an inch or less at a time to allow cooling. The only risky area was at the bottom edges since it was closest to the painted areas. Further up was relatively easy since it was far enough away from the quarter panel.
good luck.
So you are saying that on your red car (which is fabulous!) that you removed part of the outer tub and then welded in sheet metal to "fix" the area?
If I am understanding you right, you cut the old metal off near the lip so that you didn't have to drill out the fender to tub welds to separate them?
I guess I don't understand. :)
Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
So you are saying that on your red car (which is fabulous!) that you removed part of the outer tub and then welded in sheet metal to "fix" the area?
If I am understanding you right, you cut the old metal off near the lip so that you didn't have to drill out the fender to tub welds to separate them?
I guess I don't understand. :)
Thank you in advance!
The posts in this thread, #s 23 and 24 show what I cut out and how I formed the patches.
I'm not a master fabricator but I fumbled around until I found a way to make it work.

Auto Transport Service
Back