• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Indy Maxx aluminum water jacketed block. Anyone who has one, I have a couple of ??

Whatever winds up under "it", it's going to have 3x2 Promax modded Holley carbs to start out with, because I already have them, and unless Holley moves forward with the patent they have on a Sniper 3x2 EFI system, and it has a higher HP ceiling than the very nice FiTech 3x2 EFI/TBI system, the only other possibility is a F&B direct port injection 3x2 system, which can be configured up to flowing almost 2,000 cfm, and the flexibility of direct port injection. One of those, but the Promax modded Holley carbs I already have.
By "swinging for the fences" I figure with the Max Wedge ports, and a cam to match, and a 150-200 HP spray plate setup (I already have the center spray plate, can add 2 more spray plates, or 2 spacers, or a center spacer and outboard spray plates only...whatever works best without melting pistons, plugs, or valves)
What I DON'T want is to have to worry about breaking it, or having to take it apart, ever....
That part all depends on your ability to tune.

It's a rabbit hole. 650 hp on a street / strip is pretty damn respectable. I don't care how big your tires are or how well you can drive ,your not really ever going to get all of that 650 to the ground on the street period ,but it will be fun trying. 650 hp in even a 4000 lb. car would put you at something close to mid 10's so if you throw a 200 shot on top your now 9 something. That will be great once,until your track wants to see a full cage plus all of the other stuff needed ,so is it still a street car?. To me it's not a "could I ", or even "dollars spent" thing but a "Is this what I really want " thing. Street/strip is a funny term ,we want it to mean the best of both worlds ( speaking of myself) but just a pinch too much of strip and it's now just a slow race car , so ,let's make it faster. Rabbit hole.

Well said Dan. The way I see it, he’s at a fork in the road engine and suspension wise. Choose wisely!!

I would like the option of adding a 100-200 HP spacer plate based Nitrous Oxide system, to have that headroom should I want to step up who I can compete against in a heads up grudge race.

Just playing devil's advocate here, but I'd would just think about how fast you want to go as there is always someone faster and someone with deeper pockets. Especially considering all the chevy guys have to do is go to Summit or Jegs and order up a 598 BBC for $10K that makes over 700 hp on pump gas, or spend a little more from another crate 598 builder to get closer to 800 hp. Then they can add their 200 hp NOS shot on top of that. How much is the bare Indy Maxx block before machining in comparison?

To me (and this might be blasphemy), the big block Mopars make sense for a street/strip car in the 400-600 hp range but beyond that not so much.

Advice appreciated.
If MOPAR was cheap and easy, like Chevy and even Ford, well....
Let me just say I wouldn't want a Camaro, no matter how nice, because there'd be 25 more just like it.
I've seen and read about quite a few 3x2bbl or 3x2 EFI stroker MOPARS in the 600HP/650 Torque range, so it's definitely doable.
3x2 atop my engine is non-negotiable, it is a MUST, but there are plenty of options, the aluminum Edelbrock/Chrysler 6bbl dual plane I have (that :lowdown:Jim LaRoy "raised the runner roof" IIRC of for one client). The ModMan single plane, which comes as standard port size but can be opened up to Max Wedge size, and would really make a great intake for 3x2 throttle bodies with direct port injection, but I would probably start out with my Promax modded Holley 2bbl carbs.
I'd really like to have some fun with the Weiand P3690982 6bbl, but I want my N96 hood scoop and there's no way those 2 can coexist.
When the time comes, depending on how much money I have to spend, and whether or not I feel the need for "headroom" or can live with "only" 6XX HP and torque, will dictate what I do.
I don't want to spend $12 grand and then spend the rest of my life wishing I would have spent $3k more...

Yeah, after playing around with Mopar muscle cars since 1982, I don't think I could ever bring myself to go over to the Chevy side. I guess I'm just jealous and in awe of what those guys have available. As a car guy, you have to admit a pump gas 598 ci that makes 700-800 hp and looks like a stock 427/454 from the outside that can be ordered from Jegs or Summit is pretty cool.

I guess Indy has a 572ci RB that makes 750 hp but it costs about 8K more than the 598 Chevy you can get from Summit or Jegs.

Advice appreciated.
If MOPAR was cheap and easy, like Chevy and even Ford, well....
Let me just say I wouldn't want a Camaro, no matter how nice, because there'd be 25 more just like it.
I've seen and read about quite a few 3x2bbl or 3x2 EFI stroker MOPARS in the 600HP/650 Torque range, so it's definitely doable.
3x2 atop my engine is non-negotiable, it is a MUST, but there are plenty of options, the aluminum Edelbrock/Chrysler 6bbl dual plane I have (that :lowdown:Jim LaRoy "raised the runner roof" IIRC of for one client). The ModMan single plane, which comes as standard port size but can be opened up to Max Wedge size, and would really make a great intake for 3x2 throttle bodies with direct port injection, but I would probably start out with my Promax modded Holley 2bbl carbs.
I'd really like to have some fun with the Weiand P3690982 6bbl, but I want my N96 hood scoop and there's no way those 2 can coexist.
When the time comes, depending on how much money I have to spend, and whether or not I feel the need for "headroom" or can live with "only" 6XX HP and torque, will dictate what I do.
I don't want to spend $12 grand and then spend the rest of my life wishing I would have spent $3k more...

have you checked out rich at fastmanefi? complete holley hp with 3x2 from f&b with aluminum intake for multiport. this is the route I plan on going.
82c417_d7ec63e7a8064bd584a70586a95ea6a4~mv2.jpg

have you checked out rich at fastmanefi? complete holley hp with 3x2 from f&b with aluminum intake for multiport. this is the route I plan on going.
View attachment 868982
:thumbsup: :lowdown::lowdown::lowdown:
I haven't talked with Rich at fastmanefi but I have talked with the guys at F&B and that's the only EFI system I would consider.
The 600 HP ceiling of the otherwise great value FiTech 3x2 system takes the FiTech off the list because it would limit my options for the stroker I am planning to build.

Any feedback is welcome, including opinions/experience on what a 600HP/650 TQ engine is like driving and racing in a B-Body on the street and occasionally at the 1320.
Thanks

If you can wait till next year:lol: I can let you know what a mild 588ci (4.500x4.625) 10:1 street wedge will be like with 710hp@5700/740ftlbs@4000 (with just an 850DP) on the street in a '69 street/strip Runner, I think my mate will be a bit uneasy to touch the throttle too much.....but it should drive like a caddy and run mid>low 10's in 3800lbs in the 1/4, stopping the front coming up too much will have to be looked at when it happens....caltracs/mono's 4.10's.

Last edited:
If you can wait till next year
I may have to.
I have to wait until the money to do the build is available, and that is tied to the occasional big job payday or two, and no competing requirements for the money to be spent elsewhere.

Starts at $2,650 for the 3x2 TBI/EFI setup plus the cost of the controller, for example the FAST’s XFI or EZ-EFI systems.
UP TO 2,300 CFM!
(I almost don't want to share articles like these, because that means more people will get them) :poke::D
https://www.hotrod.com/articles/how-to-install-the-f-b-throttle-body-with-efi-electronic-squirting/
View attachment 869111
View attachment 869112
Ugh. I’d find an old set of carbs for throttle bodies and build it for a fraction of that.

Ugh. I’d find an old set of carbs for throttle bodies and build it for a fraction of that.
Nice valuable skill if you have it...Fun too I'm sure!
I'm handy with mechanical and electrical stuff. I work on medical equipment for a living. Maybe once I'm semi retired or retired I can mess around with stuff like that and who knows what else, but for now, I'm better off buying stuff that is ready to go and have tech support to back me up if I need it. If I don't work, work doesn't get done, so often it costs less for me to pay for things than to spend time doing it and not working.

By the way, I found a source for an aftermarket aluminum block, and I'm going to put a deposit down. Might as well go for it. Hopefully they won't be available "early" but if they are, I believe that they will move my place in line to May 2020 when I can at least pay the balance on the block. My goal will be to have enough $$ to pay off the block and get the engine built by May.
It's a Bill Mitchell product, based on the Mopar Performance World block, and the company I'm dealing with has earned my confidence.

News today is the 10 aluminum block lot of Bill Mitchell engines has made their way to the prep machining phase, and then they will go to those who have committed to buy them.
Moving forward, the foundry is supposed to be pouring 20 aluminum blocks per month, and I will be ready to pay off at least the block by May, so I'm going for it!

Last edited:
Sorry I must have hit the X accidentally without realizing it.

WOW! I know nothing about the buyers, other than the article's statement about their Mopar related business and life experiences.
I have read and heard horror stories about Indy, but also know people who live and die by their products, and are repeat customers.
I haven't had any experience with Indy.
I am at least going to buy the ModMan intake base and 3x2 carburetor top for my upcoming 541 stroker build.
Who knows, I may even try the intake out on my current setup before I get the runners hogged out to match the Trick Flow 270 Max Wedge :bananadance: heads...

Auto Transport Service
Back