• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

input needed for restoration

citadel

Local time
4:01 AM
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I wanted to get your thoughts on a few things I am deciding on during restoration of the 69 RR convertible. The car is full numbers matching, will be done in the original Sunfire Yellow and black interior. The car will be built as a show car and driven sparingly.

• Adding an Air Grabber set up. I have a full air grabber set up bought from another member on this site. It is not a reproduction. Question: Will it impact the value of my car if I add it. I dont have the code for Air Grabber on my fender tag as the car wasnt born with it.
  • Adding the flat black Hood Performance stripes. These are also not on the fender tag. I would like to add them because of the look. Question: Will it impact the value of my car if I add it.
  • Original Carb Set up. I have the original matching carb on my shelf. Should I install it back in the car.
  • Original manifold/headers. I have the original matching headers on my shelf. Should I install them back in the car.

Last edited:
I would think anything you add to your car during resto, that cannot be changed back, would detract from the resale value if you market the car as restored to 100% original. If you sell the car on its merits, the stripes would enhance the appearance. JMO, If you are going to keep the car for a long time, not just flip it, do what you like. If you are going to enter in judged competion, with real judging by real judges, keep it as built.

68SSR makes very good points. The question is reversability. All your points are easily reversed. You can store the original carbs & manifolds, available for any prospective buyer seeking strict originality down the road.

So you want a resto mod but are afraid it will not be valued as much as a un-restored original fender tag matching car?

I guess value is in the eye of the buyer. If you make the mods you want and then sell it it would have to sell to someone who loved what you did and is willing to pay your price.

How can you value a rest mod anyway? there is no base to go off of other than factory tag info.

A factory original restored car has at least a base value based on NADA. Who would be the judge of your rest mod anyway? Yourself would be my guess. Build what you want and don't worry about value's it is worth what you say it is worth. Good luck and post some pics!

I agree with what the others are saying. Make the car what YOU want. A few minor enhancements with bolt on parts can always be removed and replaced later if heed be.

My 69 RR's fander tag shows the V21 performance hood paint, but when a previous owner had it re-sprayed they didn't put the hood stripes back on.
I plan on putting them back on when I have the car painted...someday.

Good luck with the resto !

Myself, I'd put the carb and manifolds on and source another hood. Have it painted (stock appearance) at the same time as the car and put it in storage. Run the blacked out/air grabber set up as you'd like and include the second hood when you go to sell the car. Let's face it, you're doing a full resto on a B body 'vert, an extra hood is chump change compared to what you will be spending. Hell, I just dumped $250 on a pair of ashtrays. :eek:

Adding an Air Grabber set up. I have a full air grabber set up bought from another member on this site. It is not a reproduction. Question: Will it impact the value of my car if I add it. I dont have the code for Air Grabber on my fender tag as the car wasnt born with it.

Yes...it would completely ruin the car! :eek: You should immediately remove the hood and ship it to me for my N96 car. :grin:

Kidding! As the others said above, if it is easily changed back, no problem. But also as said, it's your car so do what you want to do. If you had a Hemi to put in it you would ... wouldn't you. (if not refer to above and ship with the hood to me)

Yes...it would completely ruin the car! :eek: You should immediately remove the hood and ship it to me for my N96 car. :grin:

if the car was rare,or you just want to restore back to original build it your way. the cost of a restored plain jane roadrunner is 20&35k the same roadrunner that has more hoursepower, better options, is worth 20to35k. so go out and build the car you want. as for me i don't have a build sheet,or fender tag so it's wide open. :3gears:

thanks guys. I guess I am thinking that everyone would appreciate a numbers matching RR vert even if I added the Air Grabber and Hood Stripes that arent original. I also forgot to mention we are adding disk brakes too...
Like mentioned I can always covert it all back if someone needs to have it as such...

Auto Transport Service
Back