• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Inserting Axle Into Housing

340_RR

Local time
1:32 AM
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have fully rebuilt my 8 3/4 clutch type sure grip. I am now in the process of putting my axle back into the housing. The passenger side axle slid all the way in perfectly. The driver side got very close to sitting flush on the backing plate but it's not quite there (refer to attached pictures) and it won't budge anymore. I don't want to put the nuts on and try to drive it in with a wrench. The seal seems to be installed all the way in as well. Any thoughts on what may be causing this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

IMG_9787.JPG

IMG_9786.JPG

Drivers side in FIRST. Passenger side in second with the adjuster nut backed all the way out. Then set play.

It's either simply that, or your thrust button fell out or the two sets of teeth on the pumpkin aren't lined up.

Thrust button was in place, I put a new one when I rebuilt the carrier. I gave the driver side axle a couple of hits with a rubber mallet and it seated. Bolted everything up, set axle end play to around 13 thou, and the car is back on the ground. Thanks everyone!

Auto Transport Service
Back