• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

installing 4 speed hump in 66 belvedere

sunbee1224

Local time
1:18 AM
Reaction score
Hello everyone! Converting my 3 on the tree /6 to a 383 4 speed. Obviously I will need to add a 4 speed hump. The hump seems fall into place pretty good. So I think the location aspect takes care of itself. My biggest question is how much metal do I cut out of floor pan? My thought is I should trace the hump then cut all out. Is this correct? Or do I just cut a small portion of the pan and weld hump in place? Thanks for any advice you all may have.

Put the hump on the floor pan and trace the outline. Take the hump off, then come in about 3/4" and draw a line. That line will be your cut line. It will leave enough material for you to spot weld the hump.

Put the hump on the floor pan and trace the outline. Take the hump off, then come in about 3/4" and draw a line. That line will be your cut line. It will leave enough material for you to spot weld the hump.

2X. Take all you can without getting into the rear x-member.

Not sure if this will help, but this is how the cut looked on my 66. i opted to rivet the hump instead of welding for ease of removal if need be.

I'll add that if you plan on driving the car in any weather, you should address the lip that's going to catch water and debris. From under the car, pack the area between the existing floor and the tunnel with seam sealer so that it sheds any water away.

Auto Transport Service
Back