• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Installing engine and transmission

Joe Jacalone

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:11 PM
Reaction score
I will shortly be installing the motorhome 440 and 727 transmission I bought into my 1966 Belvedere II. My question is; should I drop them in together, or is better to put them in separately?

Put it in together, with the K-frame like this:
20221003_150018.jpg
20221003_163258.jpg
20221003_163919.jpg
20221003_170213.jpg
20221003_204704.jpg
20221003_204720.jpg

Believe it or not, I had help coming the next day, but I wanted to do a "Dry Run" first to
make sure everything was going to work. Once I got the body up 43"" under the radiator
support, I said "What the hey" and slid it in! Took a half hour by myself!

I found it pretty easy to jack the rear of the car as high as I could get it. Then stab the engine and transmission into the hole. This elevates having to adjust the engine on the chain. I do this crap by myself with no help so this was an easy way to get it into the car. Then you just shove a jack under the transmission and get it to where it needs to be on the trans mount. This is opposite of dropping the k member. If you do not plan on dropping that out then it may be easier to do it like I mentioned.

I have a lift, so I am going to try what you did, but with a leveler on the engine hoist. I really don't want to pull the K member. Thanks!

I know it sounds goofy but its easier to get the engine and trans in this way. You don't have to worry about smacking the radiator support.

here is a childish drawing I just did.. lmao don't laugh too hard.

engine in.png

This is very fancy. But let’s keep it simple.

I put the trans in on the K frame with the engine hoist, then slide it rearward onto a floor jack and roll it back so it is now sitting back a few inches from where it belongs. Now install the converter.

Put engine in from the top, separate from the trans. Just roll it over the rad support and lower it in place on the K frame.

Now roll the trans forward on the floor jack and bolt it on the back of the engine.

I do this with no help from anyone. And it goes pretty quick with little chance of damaging anything.

This is very fancy. But let’s keep it simple.

I put the trans in on the K frame with the engine hoist, then slide it rearward onto a floor jack and roll it back so it is now sitting back a few inches from where it belongs. Now install the converter.

Put engine in from the top, separate from the trans. Just roll it over the rad support and lower it in place on the K frame.

Now roll the trans forward on the floor jack and bolt it on the back of the engine.

I do this with no help from anyone. And it goes pretty quick with little chance of damaging anything.

This. And thanks for saying it.

I usually keep silent when folks post how to make a simple and easy engine install "easier". Seems like a lot of work to make a one man 45 minute job easier.

Well, It may not be for everyone but it worked. The problem I was having was it was a 71 Satellite with that long *** hood I couldn't get enough out of the hoist. It wouldn't reach far enough. I know the K member is the proper way to do it. And honestly how is it more difficult to raise the rear of the car? Anyhow there is always more than one way to skin a cat. Not to mention he didn't want to pull the K-Member.

That was a simple build. I just used three car dollies and some scrap steel.

......here is a childish drawing.....
That's pretty much the way I shoehorn it into my Barracuda. With a deep oil pan, it gets tight between the k-frame and firewall.

Lol, when it comes to these cars, we're all a little childish I suspect!:steering:

Auto Transport Service
Back