• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Insurance Recommendations

petieg383

Local time
5:33 PM
Reaction score
Hey Guys I'm trying to figure out how to insure my 70 Roadrunner. I do not have a daily driver as I work from home, and if I do go into the office ever I take a train. The wife has a car however.

The RR will get driven probably 1000 miles a year max if that. I'm a USAA member and they wouldn't insure it properly, only a depreciated MSRP value. Every Classic Car insurance company (Hagerty, Grundy, American Collectors, American Modern, etc..) I've looked at requires a daily driver for every licensed person in the house. Buying another car to insure the RR seems ridiculous when I never drive as is.

How should I work this? Any advice?

You might try Heacock Classics Insurance. I have a friend that uses them and it was less than the other better known companies. Worth a call.

I have State Farm for my primary insurance. I have them for home, two daliy drivers and my three mopars. I recently had a quote from Hagerty. I' matched up the State Farm policy to Hagerty. Hagerty came out to be only $36 less a year for Hagerty. So I decided to keep State Farm...

I have State Farm for my primary insurance. I have them for home, two daliy drivers and my three mopars. I recently had a quote from Hagerty. I' matched up the State Farm policy to Hagerty. Hagerty came out to be only $36 less a year for Hagerty. So I decided to keep State Farm...

Do you have an agreed value with State Farm? I have them also and have been trying for the last year to get my policy set up with an agreed value, been a pain so I'm thinking of calling Hagerty.

I have state farm as well, but they allow only periodic use, same as hagerty. Hagerty didn't ask me about having a daily driver for every family member, though. I would ask another rep that question. Esspecially since mass transit is available.

Was up-front with all companies I requested coverage from so there would be no surprises if I had to make a claim. Told each about the build of the car (which was considered "modified"), supplied each with an appraisal from a certified appraiser for agreed value of $55,000 and here's the results for "full" coverage: Hagerty: $900, Grundy: $740, Condon & Skelly: $440. Little known fact about C&S; they were the first company to insure collectable cars in the early 1960's. Check out their website.

I have Farmers for daily drivers & house, so I contacted my agent, and he priced a policy from J.C. Taylor Antique Auto Agency for my '68 GTX. We have an agreed value of around $40K, which worked out to around $300/year. I got multiple online quotes before this,and they were all more plus more hoops to jump through.

I have state farm as well, but they allow only periodic use, same as hagerty. Hagerty didn't ask me about having a daily driver for every family member, though. I would ask another rep that question. Esspecially since mass transit is available.

I'll give them a try, although it states clearly on Hagerty's site all licensed drivers need a daily driver vehicle.

I have my home and drivers with State farm, but I don't Insure my classics with state farm because I heard they argue quite a bit if there is a claim., and the cost. No problems heard about that with Hagerty. I pay 875.00 per year With Hagerty, for six classic cars, total valued at about 160,00. I just added another valued at 10k, for an additional 66 dollars a year, as liability is only charged on the first car. That doesn't include the 50 bucks I paid for the really good towing package. So 78.20 per month for seven cars. State farm was almost double that. So that tells me if I add another for 20k, it would be 132.00 per year(11 bucks a month) I hadn't read that about the daily driver thing, but it is good to know. being in the country, there are so many cars lying around here for local use, It is a Disease!

Do you have an agreed value with State Farm? I have them also and have been trying for the last year to get my policy set up with an agreed value, been a pain so I'm thinking of calling Hagerty.

I do have an agreed value of two of the three MoPars. The 69 Charger and 73 Charger are finished running cars. I guess they categorize this differently than my 68 Coronet that is currently being restored. I do pay a bit more for the Coronet, but it will be temporary.

I'm with State Farm and they required an Antique or Classic registration to insure mine. I got $20,000 agreed value costs me $10.84 a month. Have home and 3 other cars insured with them too.

I have my home and drivers with State farm, but I don't Insure my classics with state farm because I heard they argue quite a bit if there is a claim., and the cost. No problems heard about that with Hagerty. I pay 875.00 per year With Hagerty, for six classic cars, total valued at about 160,00. I just added another valued at 10k, for an additional 66 dollars a year, as liability is only charged on the first car. That doesn't include the 50 bucks I paid for the really good towing package. So 78.20 per month for seven cars. State farm was almost double that. So that tells me if I add another for 20k, it would be 132.00 per year(11 bucks a month) I hadn't read that about the daily driver thing, but it is good to know. being in the country, there are so many cars lying around here for local use, It is a Disease!

My primary insurance is set up similar to yours (State farm & Hagerty). In addition, I have a Personal Umbrella with State Farm and the Hagerty insured vehicles are included in the State Farm Umbrella at no charge.

I use J.C. Taylor with agreed value of 30K right now and they do require professional appraisal so once the car is done and I get appraisal, I will most likely up the coverage based on the appraisal. Prices are good too on coverage.

I also am with state farm I have an agreed value of $22,000 on my 66 chevelle convertible limits 100/300/100 with $500 deductibles and i have uninsured and underinsured total is $74 for 6month premium. One thing to be mindful is that in Illinois a vehicle is considered a total loss if its damaged more then 33% of market value. so it technically would take only a $7200 repair to become a "total loss" which isn't a whole lot these days. Contrary to the original poster's statement. I was involved in what started out to be a relatively minor accident several years ago that turned into a major problem when they body shop went to pull the frame back to square the pocket that the lower control arm bolts to pulled out of the frame and State Farm paid to have another used frame installed and did not balk at paying for all new control arm and body bushings that I showed them receipts for having been replaced as well as for new hooker ceramic coated headers as the primary tubes got damaged as well. I paid out of pocket to have the "new" frame sand blasted and powder coated before the body was transferred. So personally I have no complaints at all how it was handled. Typically every year they just ask me to submit new pictures showing the 4 sides of the car under the hood and interior to verify its current condition. I do have homeowners and my other daily driven vehicles insured through them and I do run antique plates on it as well.

I have Hagerty and a value on the 65 Belvedere of 45K. With the full package including roadside service etc the cost is just about $400.00 a year 2000 miles use a year. They required proof of insurance on my truck to complete. I hate State farm. They screwed us on a fire repair on my fathers home he died in. They screwed my friend on the theft of his 69 Z28 even though he had agreed value they would not pay that. He has had to sue them. On the other hand another friend that has Hagerty and had his warehouse broken into and 3 cars stolen. He had a check in 2 weeks no problems. That's why I have Hagerty.

Hey Guys I'm trying to figure out how to insure my 70 Roadrunner. I do not have a daily driver as I work from home, and if I do go into the office ever I take a train. The wife has a car however.

The RR will get driven probably 1000 miles a year max if that. I'm a USAA member and they wouldn't insure it properly, only a depreciated MSRP value. Every Classic Car insurance company (Hagerty, Grundy, American Collectors, American Modern, etc..) I've looked at requires a daily driver for every licensed person in the house. Buying another car to insure the RR seems ridiculous when I never drive as is.

How should I work this? Any advice?

Perhaps if you put historic plates on the vehicle, you might get more consideration.

I had State Farm for 13 years on my RoadRunner at $94 per 6 month with original agreed value of $14000. I recently went to my local office and filled out paperwork to increase the agreed value to $25000. I received a call back stating they modified my collector car policy to general use, due to the fact I do not take it to "car shows". The premium went to $350 for the six month policy, needless to say I tried and tried and they wouldn't change it back due to that one reason. I received quotes from all the top companies and most were around $350 a year with Collector Auto Insurance being the cheapest at $255 a year.

I have Hagerty as well. Got through my agent. I am restricted to under 2000 miles per year. But full coverage on appraised value 27k. No complaints yet but no mishaps either. Under 300 bucks a year.

Auto Transport Service
Back