• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Intake Manifold

71newp

Local time
2:20 PM
Reaction score
Sorry if this question is too basic, but...
I want to change my 1976 360 2-bbl to a four barrel. The manifolds I've seen are either for the 318-only or non-egr. What do I give up by getting rid of the egr? The cars here do not get smog-tested. I'm thinking of using an Edelbrock Performer-type. Thanks,
Tim

Great choice. Great manifold (Edelbrock RPM) as long as you have hood clearance

Ok, sorry...I was a little mixed-up. Edelbrock does sell an EGR intake, but it is non-pollution control. Does this mean some things can't be hooked up/attached?
Thanks

You would want to plug all the extra garbage they had on those except for vacuum lines to operate controls and vacuum advance. Don't need EGR, they run better w/o

The Edelbrock Performer is a great replacement for a 2bbl intake, as is the Weiand Action Plus.

I agree with minnesota guy.... now would be a really good time to clean up the engine bay.

Generally, intakes that are specifically for 318's have smaller ports however, they will usually work well for a mild 360 and since the 318 intake ports are a bit smaller than the opening in the head, you won't have much of a problem with the flow going into a larger hole vs having an intake port that's larger than the head opening. The air/fuel mix doesn't mind going down off a step so to speak as much has it hates having to go up and over a step but port matching would give a smoother transition in both worlds and would be better.

I changed mine over to a Mopar Performance dual plane one. Really cleaned up the look of the engine. The only problem I had was the manifold had provision for the auto choke which I don't have cause I swapped over to a street avenger carb. so I had to put a 1" spacer in between. With the Mopar performance air cleaner their is just barely enough room for everything to fit. I actually had one of the ribs on the air cleaner rub the top part if the hood. I took it off and milled it down just a bit. You can't even tell.

Auto Transport Service
Back