• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Intake valley pan gasket

junkpile

Local time
5:22 PM
Reaction score
I am installing a new valley pan on a 440 after discovering a vacuum leak below the intake manifold. My pan came with 4 paper gaskets, I am not planning on using them since I did not have the before. I have stock heads with an aluminum M1 intake. I plan to use permatex black rtv on the end rails, but someone suggested using permatex ultra copper on the bottom and top of the valley pan to seal it. What does everyone else use to seal the aluminum pan to the head and intake? I just want to do this once. Last time I did this the motor was on a stand 24 years ago and I dont remember what I used but I want to ensure no leaks or Vacuum leaks.

thanks in advance

I have had problems sucking oil here in the past.
I now use ultra grey around the ports and along the edges on both sides of the valley pan gasket. Also on threads of the screws.
It sealed good last time, 3 years between tear downs.

Also, pretty sure the pans are steel, at least the fel-pro is.

1715692303109.png

The Permatex form a gasket sealed up the valley pan and the intake manifold and the valve covers making a very very gas tight engine.

Permatex Form a Gasket.jpgIMG_20231116_122742_DRO.jpgIMG_20231116_130351_DRO.jpg

If you follow Nick's Garage on YouTube he claims the paper gaskets are used with aluminum intakes. The explanation is you can't get the same torque between aluminum and iron intakes. I solved a vacuum issue on my 383 by using one paper gasket per side as recommended by Edelbrock.

If you can get the bolts in the heads with the paper gaskets, then use them for extra seal. If the heads have been surfaced then there probably wont be enough room for both sides to have the gasket. Like Billccm said, maybe your engine will seal better with only one gasket and some good sealer on the other.

If you can get the bolts in the heads with the paper gaskets, then use them for extra seal. If the heads have been surfaced then there probably wont be enough room for both sides to have the gasket. Like Billccm said, maybe your engine will seal better with only one gasket and some good sealer on the other.
I've often done the, 1 side thin composite of style gasket 'per side' right & left banks
only on the manifold side
in other words 1 on-top of each/right & left banks/side of the top side of the alum. valley pan
seal all sides with 'a thin coat' of gasoline resistant sealer

I've often done the, 1 side thin composite of style gasket 'per side' right & left banks
only on the manifold side
in other words 1 on-top of each/right & left banks/side of the top side of the alum. valley pan
seal all sides with 'a thin coat' of gasoline resistant sealer
I spoke with Edlebrock tech line back when I was fighting a issue with the number 2 cylinder vacuum leak (Edlebrock performer intake installed by the previous owner). I was told to use gasket shellac and glue one paper gasket on the head side of the valley pan. Torque per the sequence for 25 then 35 ft lbs. This worked for me.

I spoke with Edlebrock tech line back when I was fighting a issue with the number 2 cylinder vacuum leak (Edlebrock performer intake installed by the previous owner). I was told to use gasket shellac and glue one paper gasket on the head side of the valley pan. Torque per the sequence for 25 then 35 ft lbs. This worked for me.
I've also done it that/both ways, under or over the valley pan

need to use a new valley pan too, not reuse an old one,
I see guys do that a lot

Someone used to make an alum. valley pan for MoPar B or RB intakes
(before the aluminum valley cover plates we see now
I used to buy at Tognotti's Auto World in Sacramento, only place that had them I found
)
that had a valley pan
with lil' (red iirc) rubber/like (embossed ?) gasket material around the ports
on the intake manifold side too
I don't remember the company, it was 30+ years ago...
I want to say it was Mr. Gasket or maybe Moroso, but not sure now...

I've even glued the thin composite gaskets to the intake manifold itself,
helps keep the gasket from shifting when installing
& put grease on the matting gasket to valley pan surfaces
for (Blower) for manifolds I was pulling on & off frequently, on my altered
never noticed any vacuum leaks...
May work in any type of application...

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back