• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Interesting Mecum Trends

Bruzilla

Local time
6:07 AM
Reaction score
I've been running the numbers after the latest Mecum auction as I like to do to see where the hobby might be heading, and I saw some interesting data coming out of this one.

There were 770 cars sold this weekend, 213 on Friday, 314 on Saturday, and 243 on Sunday. One of the big issues I've seen with Mecum auctions is a very high number of Bid No Sale (BNS) cars that do not sell due to reserves not being met. Barrett Jackson doesn't allow reserves on most cars, but Mecum does, and historically I've seen BNS rates in the mid to high 40%s or higher over the past few years. This weekend was different. The BNS rate for Friday was 25.9%, Saturday was 32.8%, and it wasn't until Sunday that the rate hit the 40% mark at 41.8%, resulting in a running average of just 33.5% for the auction. This is a very low rate for a Mecum auction and I was wondering why it had dropped.

One thing I noticed that was notably different was reserves were being dropped while many cars were still on the block. This used to happen every now and again, but most BNS cars were sold well after the car had crossed the block and post-auction negotiations resulted in the car being sold. This past weekend most of the cars had reserves and most of the reserves were pulled before the close of bidding. This is a very significant change, and I can onlythink of two likely reasons for it.

The first reason would be Mr. Mecum was sick and tired of losing close to half of his commissions every auction due to BNS cars and was cracking down on reserves, but most of the cars had reserves and Mecum can't set reserves or decide when to pull them this weekend any more than he could at any other auction, so I don't see this as a likely reason.

The second reason, the one I find more likely, is that sellers are finally adjusting to the new realities of the market and lowering their expectations for what the car will sell for. I'm also sensing that more buyers than ever are looking to get out from under their collector cars so they are more willing to take a loss as long as the bid amount isn't a total loss for them. If they're selling a car they spent $50k on, and can see the market declining, it's better to sell the car now for a high bid of say $35k than keep the car and maybe get even less the next time. You see reserves getting pulled while cars are on the block a few times, you see guys wanting to jump start bids by pulling the reserves. You see a fair number of guys doing it, you see some owners who want to avoid taking the car home. You see a large majority doing it, I think you see a trend of owners who want to get out of the market while they still can.

One other trend I saw was a large increase in the number of 1975+ cars that crossed the block, especially GM cars. There were a lot of late 1970s and 1980s coupes crossing the block in numbers I've never seen before. This bears some watching as it could indicate a sea change in either demographics related to age, i.e., kids who grew up in the 70s and 80s are becoming more involved in the market and want the cars they grew up with more than 60s/70s cars, or the price points have gotten to the point where buyers are growing tired of paying top dollar for 60s/70s cars and are looking for more affordable cars to collect.

Narrators were difficult to understand. 6500 or so for a 60's 4 door Buick IIRC. Wow. Too many crappy VW ragtops and such. The 10 year old exotics for a fraction of sticker are always interesting. Seems like a buyers market for the savvy.

Well, this weekend was still the early days of the 10 day Mecum marathon that is Kissimmee. The cars sold these days are mostly mid to low 5 figures, with a few reaching into the 6 figure range. I think the people buying and selling these cars are not expecting to make a fortune out of them and probably aren't under water in huge restoration/resto-mod bills.

Next weekend is the big weekend for Mecum, that will be when all the 6 and 7 figure cars. The consigners of these high value cars are the ones who tend to hold out for a reserve.

The cars sold this weekend represent the core of the market, which is the $75k and below vehicle, that most of us are the most focused on especially in tracking buying and selling values. Even at that price point, only 3% of the cars were no reserve. I saw a 1985 Ford Crown Victoria station wagon cross with a reserve and don't know what surprised me more - that someone would even consider running that car through the auction or that they would think enough of it to require a reserve. :)

I'm looking forward to running the numbers for the rest of the auctions to see if this trends continues.

Well, this weekend was still the early days of the 10 day Mecum marathon that is Kissimmee. The cars sold these days are mostly mid to low 5 figures, with a few reaching into the 6 figure range. I think the people buying and selling these cars are not expecting to make a fortune out of them and probably aren't under water in huge restoration/resto-mod bills.

Next weekend is the big weekend for Mecum, that will be when all the 6 and 7 figure cars. The consigners of these high value cars are the ones who tend to hold out for a reserve.

That's if they sell at all even, notorious low sales rates @ Mecum auctions in general & even there, my guess is a high of "maybe 60%" probably less {I don't go back over the %#'s I don't car that much, I go by what I see & remember}, just maybe, will actually sell, on the block... I have no idea how many sell on "the bid goes on" deal, after the fact... while watching I'm amazed at how many don't actually sell & how high the reserve is for some of the car, it's mind boggling...

- - - Updated - - -

little to no big money in the room it seems, maybe they need more alcohol...he he ha ha

Does "the bid goes on" mean it did not sell?

Does "the bid goes on" mean it did not sell?

Correct. after the car does not sell, they put a sticker on the car with the last bid. then you can go to a booth onsite and put your own bid in and negotiate further.

Great observations Bruzilla...
I concur wholeheartedly.

You are "right-on" with the post 70 cars too.

Dana is known as the "Deal maker" (Has some of the most desireable and rare Pontiacs)

Anyone have a link to the Orange B body with the new Charger underpinnings that sold for $100k?

Waiting for Sunday's action to wrap up and the last data for the week posted.

Here is a link to the car you must be talking about.
http://www.mecum.com/auctions/lot_detail.cfm?LOT_ID=FL0114-174081&entryRow=77&lottype=&startRow=61

I am not a "member" nor do I wish to be one so I could not retrieve the selling price.
This was a body fit to an LX chassis.

That car sold for 100K. It was built by: https://www.facebook.com/WestCoastRestorations in Weeki Wachee/Brooksville, FL. It's a 1969 Road Runner over a 2008 SRT8 Charger. More than likely that is who will do the body over for my wife's 70 Coronet/2005 300.

Here is a link to the car you must be talking about.
http://www.mecum.com/auctions/lot_detail.cfm?LOT_ID=FL0114-174081&entryRow=77&lottype=&startRow=61

I am not a "member" nor do I wish to be one so I could not retrieve the selling
price.

That's it. Thanks. I see that the Sunday Auction is not listed today on the Esqiure network. I'm in Florida watching (no too) Brighthouse Cable. Anybody know where it is on tv? "........................
This was a body fit to an LX chassis.
"..................................

Never mind, it was on NBCSN whatever that is. Supposed to be on at 330 Eastern today on NBC. A one hour best of.

There is a Hockey game on.

Auto Transport Service
Back