• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Interior door panel repair 1971 Charger

mbc0724

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:07 PM
Reaction score
The chrome plastic strip on the inside upper door panels is peeling. Any suggestions for best way to repair? Thanks!
Charger interior door.JPG

I'm no expert, but are those aftermarket replacement interior door panels? Does the "peeling" seem like very thin clear plastic? Is it the rest of that chrome trim metal underneath? If yes to all 3 questions...that "might" be plastic applied to the chrome by the manufacturer to protect the chrome during storage/shipping??? Like, maybe you should have peeled it all off years ago? Wait for others to confirm

Thanks for the quick reply. The photo is not the best. In person, it is the chrome itself that is peeling, revealing a light gray strip underneath. It is not any plastic clear (as it appears to be in the photo). This is an original door panel I believe--I have had it for 25 years. There is nothing to peel off to get to chrome underneath. I think this is just normal wear and tear after 50 years.

Thats the same issue as my 72 Satellite with oe panels. I have considered trying a chrome strip tape, but Im not convinced it wont just peel up and make things look worse.

Thanks for the reply. I had not considered such a strip. Where would you get one?

You could try foil tape but it is not robust. I would do some homework and see what 3M has to offer on their OEM side of products. Something similar was probably used to cover the original plastic parts.
This site seems to have a decent selection of chrome tapes. I have not used them so I'm not sure on the quality there. Give them a call and see what they say about your project is my best advice.
Chrome Tape & Trim Archives

Auto Transport Service
Back