• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Interior panels touch up

RedBeard

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:05 AM
Reaction score
Hay, Anyone ever used this OER interior paint? Was wondering if possible to use without the prep stuff to do just touch up areas on the sail panels and maybe spots on the vinyl?

1689893495405.png

I’ve used Herb’s interior paints to my liking. Not familiar with the brand you show. Just MO, but painting I’ve done has always had an area that creates a start and end, such as trim or profile. Spot touchups w/o I haven’t tried thinking about the possible matching hassles. I’ve found that painted surfaces (vinyl, plastic, leather) shouldn’t be cleaned using alcohol/solvent cleaners, some paint rubs off. Another hassle I’d think trying to blend out overspray and such.

I’ve used Herb’s interior paints to my liking. Not familiar with the brand you show. Just MO, but painting I’ve done has always had an area that creates a start and end, such as trim or profile. Spot touchups w/o I haven’t tried thinking about the possible matching hassles. I’ve found that painted surfaces (vinyl, plastic, leather) shouldn’t be cleaned using alcohol/solvent cleaners, some paint rubs off. Another hassle I’d think trying to blend out overspray and such.
Was planning on using small brushes or sponges to "blot" areas and blend.

Be sure to clean the area with a good wax and grease remover to get rid of the armorall and polish

I've used the OER stuff, on vinyl and on plastic, but sprayed it from the rattle can - not sure how well it would work using a brush.
The colors I used were spot on; I used a wax & grease remover and their adhesion promoter, and the paint has held up fine.
I've heard good things about Herb's, too.
SEM is also an excellent product - holding up on dash pads and door trim panels I gun-sprayed over 30 years ago.

Last edited:
Was planning on using small brushes or sponges to "blot" areas and blend.
Hope it will work nicely, if you can test using a mule surface first I'd give that a try.

I've used SEM and swear by it. The only prep I've ever done is wipe down with wax and grease remover. I did once have an area around an ash tray that had a lot of nicotine staining. I cleaned that area with simple green multiple times first.

With some of the hard plastics you can do a good job of hiding scuff and scratches by quickly going over the damage with a blow torch. When I say quickly I mean it. Too much heat and the part is ruined.

Well after some investigating I located in my books the paint chips for the 1967 interior colors. A local PPG paint dealer in my town was able to cross reference my gold and make me 4 oz of it. Using a small sponge brush and 0000 steel wool after it dries to cut the shine I have a perfect match to touch up the bad spots. "Party on Wayne". Here is that chart in case anyone needs:

1689995969931.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back