• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Into.. 1974 Charger

Welcome aboard!

I've spent the last 4-5 years restoring my 72 Charger and it is still not finished.

The best thing you can do is to have a lot of garage space available. Car parts take up a surprising amount of space when they're not on the car. I'm using 3 car spaces to work on my Charger, and I frequently have to shift parts around to make room for more parts coming off the car. This is a good way to lose the little stuff, and a great way to lose your time to what I call "The Find-It Game." I hate "The Find-It Game."

If you can live with "patina," make it mechanically sound and drive it as-is. If you're like me and you want it clean, clean, clean, the ideal way to restore the car is going to be to strip the car down to the shell and send that out for paint/body work. But that may be inadvisable if you're not an expert on 74 Chargers. I'm having a tough time getting mine back together, and I've got the factory service manual, two forums to draw on, and I started with a complete car with most things working.

One of the best things you can do is to photograph everything before you take it off the car. I can't tell you how many times that has saved my butt, and how many times I still haven't had the picture I needed, even though I tried to photograph everything.

I like the “get it running and drive it” thing.

Too many complete tear downs end up being sold off in baskets.

Thank you for your service.
Sorry about your father.
I have both sides door latch sections with the quarters cut out from a 73 RR. They have the inner framework for roll-down windows still attached. If interested in those parts I live in Ashtabula about an hour from you. I have some other body parts you can have as well from the same car. May have some affordable cast-crank 440 parts as well.
PM me a phone # if interested.
John

I like the “get it running and drive it” thing.

Too many complete tear downs end up being sold off in baskets.

Yeah, but I started with "just get it running" and went to "Well, I've got this stuck drum off but now there's a bad ball joint staring me in the face." And "Well, I've got this upper control arm off to replace the ball joint and bushings, why not clean and refinish it while everything is apart? O.K., now that the upper control arm is clean and rebuilt, how about the lower one? What about the bushings in these strut rods? With all that off, why not upgrade the k-member? I've got the front brakes and suspension off, if I don't do the k-member now I'll have to pull all that stuff off again in the future. Better go ahead and do it now. In the end I think I will have removed everything from the car except the rear glass, and the side glass from the doors.

Yeah, but I started with "just get it running" and went to "Well, I've got this stuck drum off but now there's a bad ball joint staring me in the face." And "Well, I've got this upper control arm off to replace the ball joint and bushings, why not clean and refinish it while everything is apart? O.K., now that the upper control arm is clean and rebuilt, how about the lower one? What about the bushings in these strut rods? With all that off, why not upgrade the k-member? I've got the front brakes and suspension off, if I don't do the k-member now I'll have to pull all that stuff off again in the future. Better go ahead and do it now. In the end I think I will have removed everything from the car except the rear glass, and the side glass from the doors.
Yeah it snowballs.
That’s definitely the way to do it if you have the resources and drive to stay on it.
It should be nice when it’s all done.

I’m going through the same thing on my front end now but stopping at the K member.
I have an appointment to keep at the chassis shop in January.

Auto Transport Service
Back