• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Invention for pinion snubber.

Cornpatch MO

Local time
7:48 AM
Reaction score
I used a adjustable snubber for a while, but didn't like it. Bangs against the floor and sounds like breaking something. Thinking of a new style. Need input. .. Start with the stock plate and take off the bumper. Get a cone shaped front suspension bumper , and a heavy inner and outer valve spring. Weld a short piece of steel tubing to the top of the stock plate, put the valve springs inside of the tubing , and attach the new bumper on top of the springs. Then you would have a snubber that could "give" a little bit and not smack the floor. I have a thought to make it a threaded adjustable snubber. Think it would work? .................................MO

Go for it. Please post your findings.
There is a threaded adjustable snubber on the market.

We're Mopar guys, we love stuff like that and who knows, maybe you'll get rich on the idea if it works..I'd buy one

The snubber bangs at the adjusted height. Presumably your invention will have the spring bottom out at that same height. So what's the point? And so you use a 600 lb valve spring. That's not enough to counter a force that's capable of lifting the whole front end of a car. Its still going to make a noise when it bottoms out. But if you start with your idea, I'm sure tweaking will yield a good final product. Now then, what's the market for those these days ?!?!

How about something like single leaf spring ? Still might make noise though..

The snubber bangs at the adjusted height. Presumably your invention will have the spring bottom out at that same height. So what's the point? And so you use a 600 lb valve spring. That's not enough to counter a force that's capable of lifting the whole front end of a car. Its still going to make a noise when it bottoms out. But if you start with your idea, I'm sure tweaking will yield a good final product. Now then, what's the market for those these days ?!?!
On 2nd thought, you are right Stanton. No way a spring is going to prevent that slap. A second rubber bumper attached to the floor where the snubber hits would dampen it but still wouldn't eliminate it.

A small air cylinder on rear or on body that when pressurized acts as a snubber. With an air tank and solenoid valve to activate it. Won't be as solid as a fixed snubber. Second solenoid to deactivate .

Or you could get some stiffer rear springs?
I have the same problem with brand new XHD springs. Ir tears up the wedge style rubbers. I went to a conical rubber and it lasts a lot longer but still gets messed up.
I need split monos, when I do I will offer my XHDs for sale here.

I'm running a snubber. I pounded out the first one so bad that it stripped the bolts on the 3rd member. My new one hit the floor so hard it ripped the floorboard (even with the extra metal there).

I just cut down the outer/inner boxed steel of the snubber and installed the widest polyurethane bumper I can find, though it hasn't been road tested yet. The best I can figure, additional bracing to the floor & as large as possible bumper is all that makes sense to me. I like the idea that Bill Monk had about adding a bumper to the floorboard too (not enough clearance in my car though).

What about welding a carefully shaped steel plate to the top half of the snubber so you can put a REALLY large rubber bumper (or 2-3 small bumpers) on the snubber? It just makes sense to me to disperse the "hit" as much as possible......less force / square inch (same force, but more inches it's spread out over)

EDIT: before I replaced my snubber, I ran the good old-fashioned slapper bars hitting the front of the leaf springs and it worked equally well vs. the snubber in my opinion. I only went back to the snubber since I don't have ground clearance for the slapper bars with my 2" lowering blocks (added to get rear end down with SS springs)

I made a non-adjustable pinion snubber for a 4-speed bracket car. Welded square steel tube to floor pan and used large rubber bumper on third member.

steel.png rubber.png

I asked for opinion's--I got 'em. Thanks all. I guess it depends on what you want a snubber to do. I would guess the racers would want that snubber to hit hard and "shock" the tires into the ground. I would be more interested in controlling axle housing twist and limiting how far down the body would travel. I had my springs clamped , which worked well, but did not like the stiffness. Now I am thinking about useing two of the longer lower control arm bumpers( as in Dibbons post) mounted side by side, and a flat plate on the body...........................MO

You're using the snubber for the wrongs purposes

axle twist ... use a stiffer front spring segment
rear end travel ... use bumpers on the frame rails

Bumper to where on the frame rails? You got a picture or drawing for that?

I don't think you are thinking beyond one purpose. Mine is a street driven car that I like to launch once in a while. If interested, maybe you should read all the post's. Many good comments here.....................................MO

Auto Transport Service
Back