• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Investing in gold and silver

Don't know about ammunition as a barter item, or a palatable option for survival. Watch out for the guy who wants to buy only one round.
Food.
So much food you can afford to give it to strangers.
A affordable way to put together lots of food is to get groups of 55 gallon barrels, stick a hose down them, fill with grains like feed corn. Doritos are made with feed corn. Then pump the Argon from your welder to displace the oxygen and put in desiccant for moisture. Can make a lot of food and whiskey with 50 gallons of corn.
Corn and whiskey are barter items that make friends.

The government held the $35 per ounce price until August 15, 1971, when President Richard Nixon announced that the United States would no longer convert dollars to gold at a fixed value, thus completely abandoning the gold standard.

I've thought a lot about this question. And having had upwards of $400,000 in gold and silver investments at one time I do have some experience.

First of all, my opinion is that an "investment" in gold and silver is an INSURANCE POLICY. You needn't look far to find good reason to buy insurance. Indeed you could argue that the USA has repudiated its sovereign debt four times in the past. Here's a good article at CNBC:

https://www.cnbc.com/id/43140915

You also needn't look far to find examples of first world countries with massive currency issues. In 1998 the banking system in the USA nearly failed as the result of the implosion of the Hedge Fund Long Term Capital. In 2008 in Greece you were limited to withdrawals of a few hundred dollars. At the same time, in Cypress the government essentially confiscated money in bank accounts. There are also many examples of hyperinflation too in recent memory: Zimbabwe (2008), Yugoslavia (1992-1994), Argentina, Venezuala etc. And how do you think the USA will deal with its massive debt (and most first world countries for that matter). They will monetize it via inflation. It's not here today. But it seems inevitable that it will happen. There is no choice about it. So you need an INSURANCE POLICY to hedge these risks. You may never collect on the policy. But if you need it, you'll have it.

So how do you figure out how big a policy do you need? If you have a significant net worth I would recommend 3% to 5% of your net worth. If your net worth is smaller or smallish then I would recommend a bigger policy.

And what should you buy?

Of the 3% - 5% I would suggest having a third of that in physical gold and silver and the rest in shares of either physical gold and silver trusts, or in mining companies (or, better yet, mining royalty companies). As far as the physical gold and silver goes, some "junk silver" is a good idea. You can buy it for very close to face value, and everyone knows that a pre 1965 quarter, for instance, is 90% silver. The rest I would have in gold and silver coins like American Eagles, Maple Leafs, Brittanias etc. Spreads over spot vary considerably, but if you accumulate your position over time it will even out.

I have nothing to sell here Richard so my advice is not biased by a desire to sell you something. If you'd like a more in depth review send me a PM.

Last edited:
Just think about one thing, If the S##T hits the fan you need an actual market to sell it just
like Bitcoin. You need a buyer and a seller. If it all goes to hell in a handbasket there will be no
buyers.

I disagree. If the S##T hits the fan a recognized exchange medium (ie physical gold and silver coins) will be in big demand to facilitate trade that would normally be facilitated by paper money or forms of credit.

Also realize that in the event of SHTF, you will likely be faced with "spot market" pricing concerns.

IE- who will decide how much of that silver ingot to saw off in trade for a cow?

...and you think haggling over car and car parts value is "interesting"?

Now is always the best time to buy. It is called averaging. You take the total of your purchasing over time and average the cost together. Over time the lows and the highs will "average " out. You don't win or lose until you liquidate. Just like selling your house. The market only matters on the day you sell.
Silver makes better, cheaper bullets if it ever comes to that. And you can make more for your dollar. Bullion is worth the same whether it is in bar, coin or "bullet" form.
Just make sure that whatever you have, that you must have it in your physical possession to matter. Junk silver is the best form for trade. Everyone trusts US coinage and it is already in recognized denominations of value. Silver dimes and quarters probably the best and easiest to acquire.

...and those bullets can also kill werewolves.

Ok I actually can put some information here!
So I inherited everything from an old man I took care of i found a box of 1/10 gold coins and a huge box of silver!
So I found his paper work on what he paid
He bought silver for around $10000
And gold at $20000
I stuck it in my safe and said it will stay till I need money then I'd cash out well I got in a bind with medical stuff and took it down to a buyer he offered $60000 for everything I about **** myself!
I sold the silver that day for $30000 as silver is heavy and not fun to move

So my input silver is good and all but you need to move that stuff! Silvers price moves around alot! I've seen it at $10 ish up to $40ish an ounce gold doesn't move alot but it's a lot more money !
Gold is easier to keep I had $30000 in gold in a tiny box little bigger then a cell phone box!

So yes good investment if you buy right and sell right but I don't think that's what your asking about
Without getting political here. If I had tons of cash sitting around I would trade almost all of it out for silver and gold asap !
The dollar is backed by the government .......
Gold and silver is good and silver the price is a world kinda thinking you can go anywhere and trade you it for currency!

Again if I were rc big$$$$$$$$ I would definitely buy something .
I don't have enough cash to bother I invested in brass!

My grandparents from Germany told me many years ago that when money became valueless there, gold, silver, and jewelry ALWAYS had value for food and services...

Your Grandparents no doubt lived through the hyperinflation 1920-1924. While this banknote says "Billions" what it means is "trillions". From 1924 (Issued Mar. 15, 1924). They are right when they said that in terrible times you can still trade gold, silver and jewels. And like I said above in this thread about investing in gold and silver, it is an INSURANCE POLICY (not an investment) having some non paper stores of value that are readily identifiable and easily exchanged. "Junk silver" (pre 1965 coins) are perfect for that purpose. I think everyone should have at least a few thousand in silver as a base line insurance policy against financial calamity, or at minimum, banking service disruption.

GER-141-Reichsbanknote-5_Trillion_Mark_(1924).jpg

Last edited:
OK, I need an education....

Is this a good idea?
What are the advantages/disadvantages?
What's a good amount to buy?
Do you take possession of the metal or just get a certificate saying you own it?

Thanks in advance.
It is just a hedge against inflation. If Biden is going to print a few Trillion dollars it might be a decent investment, but so is real estate with the current low interest rates. The metals should be easier to sell/trade then selling a house in a bad economy, but in a good economy the home should have a higher return on investment. That assumes the governments don't increase home ownership taxes. Real estate is more of a pain to manage, than just stashing some gold away.

Unfortunately offsetting those low interest rates is the highest priced seller's market in decades.

In five years property values have almost tripled where I live.

Be prepared to pay more than asking price and more than the other interested parties that are aware they also need to offer above list.

Anyone think a correction might be in order?

Pre 1964 silver coins , dimes-quarters-halves , be care full of silver dollars , the chinks have been faking them for some time now .
The reason I buy coins is I know what I have , a silver dime is a silver dime I don't need someone to weight it and pay any fees to tell me what it is.

Pre 1964 silver coins , dimes-quarters-halves , be care full of silver dollars , the chinks have been faking them for some time now .
The reason I buy coins is I know what I have , a silver dime is a silver dime I don't need someone to weight it and pay any fees to tell me what it is.

If you buy from a reputable dealer you will have no trouble with fakes. For instance, I have had 13 separate orders with Monument Metals:

https://monumentmetals.com/

I have found them to be excellent to deal with. Jon Swyers (the owner) has treated me very well and was really helpful in dealing with the issues that occur with a customer who lives in a different country. My orders were over a period of several years and totaled nearly $30,000.

This thing called the internet is some BS. Never once did I ever look for gold or silver on the web. I click into this thread and start reading. Then I see this over on the right panel for an advertisement.
It’s watching and listening all the f’n time. Scary stuff.
71E6CBEA-06FE-4113-8DAE-328EAE97039A.jpeg

Last edited:
This thing called the internet is some BS. Never once did I ever look for gold or silver on the web. I click into this thread and start reading. Then I see this over on the right panel for an advertisement.
It’s watching and listening all the f’n time. Scary stuff.
View attachment 1055106

Run your computer in private mode, use an ad blocker and consider a hardware firewall (I use Winston Privacy for mine). And don't use Chrome. Mozilla Firefox has lots of privacy settings.

Mercury dimes are the cheapest to buy and most recognizable as Silver.
Both dimes are 90% silver, but one is more recognizable as Silver to people.
I like Mercury's and quarters, everything else is subject to fakery.
Screen Shot 2021-01-15 at 7.03.14 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-01-15 at 7.05.19 PM.png

I was on a different forum for another hobby...

...and got gold bar ads on one side and lingerie ads on the other.

Auto Transport Service
Back