• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Investing in gold and silver

Silver a few years ago (2 or 3) made a move from $7 to $12 an oz to $26 an oz. If you were holding and sold you made a nice profit.

As I have mentioned repeatedly through out this topic, paper investments are as worthless as "Tits on a Bull" when a collapse occurs!!! The physical tangible commodity is far better an investment because of its value for trade, barter, and yes as money and most with something to sell be it food, ammo, etc., will gladly barter for it. You cannot spend a stock certificate or use it as a check for cash because it is a "Bet On a Come'...to use a Horse Racing betting term...when it all falls apart. You are SOL!!! The best commodity to buy physically, is Silver. Why do I say that? It is because it has far more ranging uses than Gold such as electronics, etc. where Gold is more bling than anything else. Y'all spend your $$$'s as y'all want. But my mantra is I'm buying as much physical Silver as I can while it is fairly low. Then if it goes up again, I sell high. Just made a buy of 20oz's last week and will be buying more real soon...cr8crshr/Bill:usflag::usflag::usflag:
Bill, Silver is a Very Good store of wealth. Many are saying Huge Upside coming, still a relatively good buy...

OK, I need an education....

Is this a good idea?
What are the advantages/disadvantages?
What's a good amount to buy?
Do you take possession of the metal or just get a certificate saying you own it?

Thanks in advance.
All I can tryout is this: I started working as a metallurgist in 1979 and gold was $35 an ounce, then we got off the so-called gold standard and the price in 1980 went up to $850/ounce and then the bottom fell. From there the price fluctuated for many years, and about 2 years ago it went to about $2,000; now it’s less than that. So, I don’t think gold is a guaranteed investment, but not a bad one.

Bill, Silver is a Very Good store of wealth. Many are saying Huge Upside coming, still a relatively good buy...
Don't know if your talking about TV ads about the big upside. It did well last few years $7.25 to$26 or so. They might be right if they use it in solar panels.

Don't know if your talking about TV ads about the big upside. It did well last few years $7.25 to$26 or so. They might be right if they use it in solar panels.
Fran, we don't watch TV, as in MSM. We listen to a Lot of broadcast of folks involved in this market. Hoping it pays off, in a Big way...

It is all Paper Pushing by these TV adds. Nothing more. Go to a retail outlet or online outlet and purchase the actual bullion. Again...Paper is a worthless commodity!!!cr8crshr/Bill :usflag: :usflag: :usflag:

It is all Paper Pushing by these TV adds. Nothing more. Go to a retail outlet or online outlet and purchase the actual bullion. Again...Paper is a worthless commodity!!!cr8crshr/Bill :usflag: :usflag: :usflag:
cr8, a lot of truth, and good advice. You can get daily quotes by going to "Apmex.com". It will give you a market price to buy, or sell, and options to do so. Understand, their fees are built in, so Don't expect to buy, or sell, at "spot" price.
And Fran B is correct, silver is a Safe bet, as it has many more Industrial uses, than gold, and is a good entry point to test the waters, dollar for dollar.
Something to consider when buying, and I'm sure this changes, Statewide:
Purchases under $1k, are taxed for sales.
Purchases over $1k, No tax, NY State...

cr8, a lot of truth, and good advice. You can get daily quotes by going to "Apmex.com". It will give you a market price to buy, or sell, and options to do so. Understand, their fees are built in, so Don't expect to buy, or sell, at "spot" price.
And Fran B is correct, silver is a Safe bet, as it has many more Industrial uses, than gold, and is a good entry point to test the waters, dollar for dollar.
Something to consider when buying, and I'm sure this changes, Statewide:
Purchases under $1k, are taxed for sales.
Purchases over $1k, No tax, NY State...
Yep...As I tend to buy from local sellers at their stores here in Reno vs buying from online...of which I also have, I usually have the spot price and then I am charged an amount over the spot price. No extra online fees for either Eheck, or say PayPal. Just purchased in the last week about 500.00 in Silver Rounds/Bars. And Man is my stash box in my safe getting real heavy...cr8crshr/Bill:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: :usflag: :usflag: :usflag:

Auto Transport Service
Back