• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is a Edelbrock 1406 are good carb?

Just got a good look at it, it's a 4200S. They were used '64 to '67 on 383's.

First I've heard of those.. still learning
I wonder if they were an over the counter replacement.
And your autoline number must cover quite a few different #s.. here's my 67 383 A/T
20240105_135053.jpg
20240105_135101.jpg

I had to google it myself, first thing that came up was a Autoline picture exactly like mine. Tag has C 556 on it, I figure the C was for '67. It stamp also starts with L6 so that would be Dec 1966. All I know, it runs great and is a #'s car.. other than maybe this carb! LOL

Is the Edelbrock 1406 electric choke a good carb for a stock 1967 383? The reviews are mixed.
This might be a stupid question, but can anyone tell me what carb came on the car from the factory?

I am leaning towards the Edelbrock 1406. I have noticed that Edelbrock sells this carb for around $428.00. Amazon sells this same carb for $205.00. Is there a difference? There is no mention that the Amazon one is a remanufacture.
thanks in advance
check the mounting pattern on that 67 intake. Chances are it is the smaller pattern which MIGHT make the Holley swap a bit more challenging. The AVS 2 works well, but the Holley/ATM/Quick Fuel carbs are much easier to tune.

Is the Edelbrock 1406 electric choke a good carb for a stock 1967 383? The reviews are mixed.
This might be a stupid question, but can anyone tell me what carb came on the car from the factory?

I am leaning towards the Edelbrock 1406. I have noticed that Edelbrock sells this carb for around $428.00. Amazon sells this same carb for $205.00. Is there a difference? There is no mention that the Amazon one is a remanufacture.
thanks in advance

check the mounting pattern on that 67 intake. Chances are it is the smaller pattern which MIGHT make the Holley swap a bit more challenging. The AVS 2 works well, but the Holley/ATM/Quick Fuel carbs are much easier to tune.
Excellent point on the bolt pattern.

I've had good luck with the 1406 W/ electric choke on my 383 replacing the original Carter 4 Bl. Been running with the 1406 since 2010. I will say that out of the box, you should check the float settings. I suspect that since the floats are not secured in anyway, that the bouncing around in shipping will have an effect the the float calibration, so I would suggest the you check the float calibration before you install it. I also experienced that out of the box the 1406 ran quite rich in my opinion, so I had to experiment with the Edelbrock rod and jet kit to lean it out using an O2 sensor. I also run with a 3/8" phenolic carb spacer between carb and intake manifold which helps a lot with starting when hot. My 2 cents worth..

Original carb off my 67 383 auto - Carter 4299S. I replaced it a Carter 9636 AFB w/electric choke almost 30 yrs ago. Been very happy with the 9636. Only "issue" was that I had to find an air cleaner base with a larger opening to stay with my original dual snorkel.
20240105_194637.jpg

I'm running a 1906 like it it is a good running carb the 1406 is a 600 cfm I found mine on market place for $300 someone bought it put it on there chevy after a couple miles he said he didn't like it I bet it probably just needed some rejetting on his car

thanks in advance
Get yourself the Edelbrock 650 AVS2 I have one on my mild built 440 and I talked two of my buddies into buying them and one is a 69 RR 383 and the other is a 71 Cuda 440 and they as myself love them. So easy to tune and the light to light acceleration in incredible.

I keep hearing more about these AVS2 carbs. I might have to try one. But I would think a 650 is a little light for a 440.

thanks in advance
Asking about carburetors always gets a TON of different responses. Here are the key issues to minimize the number of "adapters" & "modifications" you have to do and end up with a good result:
1. What carburetor "style" will your intake accept? I think you have a "straight bore" intake manifold with all 4 holes the same size. So, no "spread bore" or Thermoquad carburetors.....Carter (now Edelbrock) or Holley "straight bore" carburetors are your two choices.
2. If you go with a Holley, don't get a "double pumper", get a vacuum secondary carburetor.
3. Look at what style of throttle cable-to-carburetor connection you have. I know with some Holley's you have to sometimes buy an adapter to attach to a Mopar throttle cable (fyi).
4. Check your vacuum fittings! This is important. You want the new carburetor to have a hose nipple wherever you need one for your engine. Luckily the 67 motor probably doesn't have more than 1-2 vacuum lines going to carburetor. Often, you can get a similar carburetor from a new year engine and it will have the hose nipples you need, PLUS one or two more you don't need. No problem, just block off the ones you need on a 67 engine.
5. Check your choke style. Is the new carb compatible with what you have now? Since you may go with an electric choke, that probably doesn't matter since you won't be using the 67 choke.

A holley carb will not fit on a original 1967 383 manifold without an adapter, due to bolt pattern differences. The same goes for the factory AVS carb. If the OP has an aftermarket or 68 up intake then no problem.

Post #34.
Every Carter AFB/AVS I have seen [ many ] have provision in the mounting feet for both sets of bolt patterns: sq bore & non-sq bore [ spread bore ]. Some are drilled with 8 holes, some only have 4. The ones that only have 4 can be drilled for 8 holes & fitted without an adapter as long as [a] any passages in the carb base are sealed by the gasket the throttles open without interference with the bore openings in the intake.

Post number #35. You are right of course. My post was mostly about holleys, but I should have said, will not fit without an adapter or modification, when mentioning the AVS.

I have a 1405 (manual choke version) in my Belvedere 318. Great carb, easy to tune and will run right out of the box. Jet and needle swaps are super easy and no gas spills at all. It might be a bit small for your application.

We run in both Stock Eliminator and Nostalgia Super Stock with a 383. I have run the stock (reworked, of course) AFB which is a tad less than 600 CFM with pretty decent success. We popped an 800 CFM AVS II (obviously not legal except for in Nostalgia) on and the car responded very well, posting better MPH. Since an engine is simply an air pump, it will use only what it wants to use - I would think the 750 AVS II would be a very sound choice and allow you room to do some future mods to the engine.

We run in both Stock Eliminator and Nostalgia Super Stock with a 383. I have run the stock (reworked, of course) AFB which is a tad less than 600 CFM with pretty decent success. We popped an 800 CFM AVS II (obviously not legal except for in Nostalgia) on and the car responded very well, posting better MPH. Since an engine is simply an air pump, it will use only what it wants to use - I would think the 750 AVS II would be a very sound choice and allow you room to do some future mods to the engine.
By the way, I have TWO spare period correct AFB's (choke removed, but start easily even when cold) if you might be interested.

Auto Transport Service
Back