• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is a Edelbrock 1406 are good carb?

1967 satellite

Local time
6:27 PM
Reaction score
Is the Edelbrock 1406 electric choke a good carb for a stock 1967 383? The reviews are mixed.
This might be a stupid question, but can anyone tell me what carb came on the car from the factory?

I am leaning towards the Edelbrock 1406. I have noticed that Edelbrock sells this carb for around $428.00. Amazon sells this same carb for $205.00. Is there a difference? There is no mention that the Amazon one is a remanufacture.
thanks in advance

Last edited:
Original carb list

I would suggest you pick a carburetor about 600-650 cfm, Holley vacuum secondary or Edelbrock (used to be Carter). Original carb (or a close year) makes installation easier (but it ain't hard anyway)

I'd bet the Amazon version is a reman. Overall it would be a good size for a 383.

I would double check the product description. That much of a price difference is either an offshore knock-off or a reman. Looks like "Lickbund" is the product name for a 1406 knock off at $202. Amazon currently has no stock of genuine 1406's in the US or Canada.

Not sure what a '67 carb would have been, Carter AFB? The Edelbrock #1406 is the same as a #1405, but has an electric choke. Both are 600 cfm. Looked this up a month or so ago. My Hemi has 2 #1405's on it, and I wanted a choke. Least, this is what I remember. Not sure what cfm you need.

I say no. In my opinion, (everyone got one). I have removed these off fords and mopars, to be replaced with a Holley (infinity tunable) or factory carb.
In fact, I should check the numbers of the ones I need to sell.
It's not about the size, it's that it is an aftermarket version of a factory carb.
The metering is a bit fat, and it will require tuning.

second on the no. never had alot of luck with them, they work good, but always seem to get a little more power out of a double pumper

I prefer the avs over afb, but EWJ has several carbs for sale.
and a factory Holley.
The Holley would only be a choice if you have a completely stock 383 as the air bleeds get funny with a hp cam.
And a 3310 750cfm if you do.
Or

Is the Edelbrock 1406 electric choke a good carb for a stock 1967 383? The reviews are mixed.
This might be a stupid question, but can anyone tell me what carb came on the car from the factory?

I am leaning towards the Edelbrock 1406. I have noticed that Edelbrock sells this carb for around $428.00. Amazon sells this same carb for $205.00. Is there a difference? There is no mention that the Amazon one is a remanufacture.
thanks in advance
A 4299 Carter afb. Something like 530cfm .
With the stock small cam and flat intake with log manifolds it worked quite well.

I have only good things to say about the AVS2. I have the 800 CFM, electric choke, on the Coronet with a 440 and it runs fantastic. Idle is smooth with the annular primaries.
It may give up some upper end hp to a double pumper, but I'll take the drivability and tuning ease.

This is what is on the Wife's Formula S and it hauls ***.. I'll have to get a better shot of the model # tmrw, can't quite read ut.
20240103_145957.jpg
20240103_150030.jpg
20240103_150053.jpg
20240103_150323.jpg

Any Carter/Edel AFB 625 would be a good choice. An Edel 625 AVS2 would also be a good choice.

A Carter 625 AFB tested against a 600 Holley made 17 hp more, 17 ft/lbs more tq & used less fuel doing it....

img248.jpg

The one nice thing about a Carter/Edelbrock vs a Holley - and I have an equal number of both, the Carter/Edelbrocks have a lot fewer places to leak from and fewer thin section parts to warp.

1406 / 600 edelbrock preformer is a very good carb.
This would be a good pick for a 383.
You will want to feed the positive side of the choke with switched 12 volts.
( not off the coil )
Nothing against Holley they build good carbs also.
But for my $$ and set it and forget it I would get the eddy.

Auto Transport Service
Back