• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is a late 440 worth it for a cruiser?

Isaiah Estrada

Local time
2:55 AM
Reaction score
As I finish up my ongoing 68 C Body project, I am already looking into the next. I wasn't planning on it, but my dream car (a 1962 Chrysler) fell into my lap - and selling the 68 would get me the money I need to purchase the car and then some!

It's a '62 300 sport with a 413. She hasn't been on the road in a while but gets turned on once in a while. Went to see the car in person and upon startup (first time in many months) she was smoking pretty bad. It took a while for it to clear up. I would like to keep the 413 but I know pistons are hard to find. Not looking for real performance out of the car, just a fun cruiser with some good power for highway cruising.

From what I understand, any BB Mopar should drop right in, and mate up with the push button 727. I'm thinking either a 383 or a 440. Local to me, I can pick up a '78 short block 440 for real cheap. But it will need parts obviously to be complete. Is that a motor worth building? I wish I could steal the 440 from my 68 and drop another motor into it, but I think that's what will make the car more valuable in the end.

The 300 drives good on it's own accord - the motor just smokes. Would it be worth it to even try to rebuild the 413 with it's original pistons? Regardless, I'm going to get the car. I'm just trying to see what a good course of action is / any advice you all may have!

1664930433419.png

1664930444417.png

Its still a 440, yes it’s worth it.

You won’t know what the 413 needs until you tear it down and start measuring.

I would try to rebuild the 413 first, just my opinion.

A nice car with the oringinal drivetrain is worth preserving, even if it means the cost of custom forged pistons.

Don't throw the 413 away.....

Its still a 440, yes it’s worth it.

You won’t know what the 413 needs until you tear it down and start measuring.

I would try to rebuild the 413 first, just my opinion.
A nice car with the oringinal drivetrain is worth preserving, even if it means the cost of custom forged pistons.

Don't throw the 413 away.....

Good advice, I agree! I definitely wouldn't get rid of the 413. I'd love to make it a nice street motor! I'm hoping that the original pistons might be able to be re-used and I could just do a re-ring / new seals. Not looking to completely rebuild but rather "freshen" up so to say. I'm all new to this stuff, but very eager to learn!

If it smoked at start up and then cleared up try doing valve seals without tearing the engine down and see if that is the remedy.

My 1967 Coronet has a 1978 440 in it.

Its was rebuilt stock.
And it runs excellant . And on pump gas with no issues

My dad has a 62 300 also can wait to pry it from his hands and yes 440 dropped rite in.

A car that hasn't ran in quite some time could need a little time for the rings to reseal. Throw some Seafoam in the gas tank and put some miles on it. Also in the era before the umbrella valve seals were introduced that could also be the problem. Both will cause the engine to smoke and/or use oil. You can also pour some Marvel Mystery oil or automatic trans fluid through the carburetor to help degum an engine that has sat for extended periods. I would try many things prior to teardown. If a teardown becomes a factor, the heads would be the first thing I would look at. I always go by the theory, that the devil you know is better the one you don't know. If the 440 is cheap enough, for a just in case senerio, grab it. That's my 2 cents.

I'd try valve seals first. Maybe do a compression test and a leak down test.

That starter sounds like it needs some attention. Make sure the bolts are tight first. If they are remove the starter and inspect the bendex. Look at the flywheel teeth also. Do this soon...

Great looking car! :thumbsup:

I would toss valve seals in it and run it for a while. If that has not been driven just started from time to time you can bet the inside of that exhaust is all oil coated. Easy afternoon job with minimal cost.

Forget the 440. Change the valve seals and the oil and drive it. If it doesn’t clear up then Re-ring the 413 and do the heads. You don’t need new pistons on and 83k mile engine.

Thank you all for the great advice!! I think I will go ahead and replace the seals then once I get the car. What valve seals am I looking for? Are they head specific or are they more of a generic seal for BB Mopars?

One thing I now recall too, he said he ran just normal oil without ZDDP. So I wonder if I should be concerned for the health of the cam...

Lots of excellent advice. Keep the 413. Get the 440.
Like Jerry said, good chance the rings are stuck. I will add that pouring your favorite stuff in the cyls and letting them soak in.
I wonder if that motor has adjustable rockers...

I agree with everyone else about using the 413. But if I had the opportunity to buy a 440 short block real cheap, it would already be on a furniture dolly rolled under my shop bench.

The valve seals are most likely the smoking issue. A simple fix. I doubt that 83000 has worn the pistons or bores. Hopefully new oil hasn't hurt the cam. I doubt it. Although a few more cubes going to a 440 would be nice, what would you need to do to the 440? Look at the valve seals on the 413, most likely junk.

Auto Transport Service
Back