• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

is an intake different on a 383 compared to a 400 440?

SteveSS

Local time
12:13 AM
Reaction score
I'm thinking about switching the 2bbl on the 1970 Coronet 500 383 to a 4bbl. I saw this on the local CL and he seems to think they are different.

This intake manifold is left over from an engine rebuild project I did on my 71 Dodge truck (383 V8).

I picked it up at a salvage yard locally thinking it would be the intake manifold I needed for a two barrel to four barrel conversion only to find out when I went to bolt it on that the bolt pattern on the block was different.

Long story short, I found what I needed somewhere else and this one is up for sale. I’m guessing this is for a Mopar 400 or 440 engine block.

It has been professionally cleaned, machined and painted.

Asking $150, but willing to consider trades or other offers.

Please do not contact me with solicitations or offers to help sell anything.

Thanks,
Wells

I thought all 383-400 intakes interchanged, except the early 383 RB engines.

So, 383 and 400 interchange. 440 does not, when it comes to intakes. All RB engines interchange with each other (413-426w-440 are RB's) All B engines interchange with each other (361-383-400 are B's).

There can be some complexity between 383 and 400 tho, when it comes to the carburetors themselves. For example, a later model Thermoquad is not going to fit an intake designed for an old AFB carb. Even the other way around can be a problem.

A picture of what exactly you have and maybe a casting number would help immensely.

Last edited:
So, 383 and 400 interchange. 440 does not, when it comes to intakes. All RB engines interchange with each other (413-426w-440 are RB's) All B engines interchange with each other (361-383-400 are B's).

There can be some complexity between 383 and 400 tho, when it comes to the carburetors themselves. For example, a later model Thermoquad is not going to fit an intake designed for an old AFB carb. Even the other way around can be a problem.
Yes. Same bolt patterns but the valley is wider on the RB due to the taller deck height.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Yep. 350, 361, 383 and 400 are B blocks. 413, 426 wedge, and 440 are RB blocks and take a different intake. Yes there's that odd 383RB from the late 50's

$150 is a good price from what I've seen advertised over the past several years. Especially good price since it has already been cleaned up (professionally cleaned and painted he said).

Here are his pictures from the ad. It's interesting that you bring up the Thermoquad because this is what I had laying around and I thought I'd use it. Are you saying no way?

int1.jpg
int2.jpg
thermo.jpg

Okay, that's a great help thanks. One more thing if you don't mind. Here's another I found. 1970. The ad says 383 or 440. But what you are saying is it wouldn't fit both. Kind of crusty but if it works I don't care. Different casting number from the first one I showed you. Maybe it's a 383.

Would my thermo fit this even if it is a 383 intake?

int2.jpg
int3.jpg

Okay, that's a great help thanks. One more thing if you don't mind. Here's another I found. 1970. The ad says 383 or 440. But what you are saying is it wouldn't fit both. Kind of crusty but if it works I don't care. Different casting number from the first one I showed you. Maybe it's a 383.

View attachment 1504722View attachment 1504723
No. THe T Quad won't fit on that manifold. Look at the bottom of tyour carb and the holes in the intake pictured and you tell us if it will work.

The number is not clear enough to get a good read. I don't find numbers of that sequence in my book which often means the intake is off a truck engine.

400 down is a lowdeck
413 up is a raised deck
Nothings changed in 65 years regardless how the morons write their ads.

Thats a 70 71 era 383 intake. Probably the best one. It's a square bore.
Thermobogs are spread bores.

Very difficult to read the crusty casting number. I'll offer this though:

2951666 was used on '70 & '71 383-4V

Last edited:
I couldn't find that intake part number anywhere either. There's one that checks out on Ebay as a 1968 1969 38'703 intake. That should work on a 70 383? I don't care about numbers matching. It's a 2806301. I'm glad I asked. There are such liars on the Internet.

If you want to run a Thermoqaud get a 400 intake...they made them from 72-78 and were all thermoquads. The later ones had a egr in the intake. Early ones like a 72 are getting rarer. The 383s never had a spread bore intake they were all square for a holley or the avs. If you want aftermarket the edelbrock performer 383 intake has both carb patterns for most any carb, it is real similiar to a oem 400 intake. A edelbrock performer rpm is for a square bore like a holley, it's also taller.
Or buy a Spreadbore carb adaptor, run a 383 intake and bolt on the thermoqaud. Not the best but they work.

Screenshot_20230804_193010_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
I couldn't find that intake part number anywhere either. There's one that checks out on Ebay as a 1968 1969 38'703 intake. That should work on a 70 383? I don't care about numbers matching. It's a 2806301. I'm glad I asked. There are such liars on the Internet.
The 301 intakes some called the Roadrunner intakes. They're good as well. You just don't want a 67 down.

Auto Transport Service
Back