• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is it just me?...

mmissile

Local time
11:44 AM
Reaction score
....or do any others NOT watch car-stuff on TV, nor read the magazines? It all seems so fake, stupid, or boring. The magazines and TV shows seem like watching "ground-hog day".

I find them to be more like infomercials for vendors. Cars mags back in the day were all about guys like us coming up with fixes and upgrades for our cars. Now they're all stories about how to use Brand X's new super parts or tools to make your car better, or how to do a low-buck engine build provided you have access to a shop with every tool known to man in it and a mountain of parts donated by the sponsor.

....or do any others NOT watch car-stuff on TV, nor read the magazines? It all seems so fake, stupid, or boring. The magazines and TV shows seem like watching "ground-hog day".

About the only car show I watch on velocity is Chasing Classic cars. It aint perfect, but it's got a different formula. I like when they drag Roger in front of the camera; he's a hoot.

I find them to be more like infomercials for vendors. Cars mags back in the day were all about guys like us coming up with fixes and upgrades for our cars. Now they're all stories about how to use Brand X's new super parts or tools to make your car better, or how to do a low-buck engine build provided you have access to a shop with every tool known to man in it and a mountain of parts donated by the sponsor.
Can't argue with that. You never see a bad review of a product or service or they won't get any more freebies.

I loved fast n loud when it first came on but now it is a damn cartoon. With that retard running his fingers through his hair and Screaming every 5 seconds. "Muscle car" and "Trucks" were shows with substance. I dont know if they are still on as i havent had actually cable in almost 3 years.

My wife and my dad watch ***-monkey garage after breakfast on Saturdays. I talk with my dad, and ignore the show. As far as racing goes, I watched the F1/Monaco race[boring race/cool venue].....nothing else. In the past, I've found some of the USA , Top-Gear to have some funny/relatable stuff on it....but haven't seen it in a "coon's-age".

I like Car Fix with Jared and Lou. ya, it's one of them infomercial shows, but they seem like normal car guys who know what they are doing and are silly bastards to boot.

Only other things I watch are F-1, some of the touring car races, Isle of Man TT (on this week btw) and Mecum auctions. I dont even bother with Barrett-fake ***-Jackson anymore.

how to do a low-buck engine build provided you have access to a shop with every tool known to man in it and a mountain of parts donated by the sponsor.

^^ this.

I still enjoy Wheeler Dealers, but since I don't have cable I only get to see it very rarely. Anyway it's British, but they do seem to find old cars and fix them up the cheapest way possible.. mostly by fixing/cleaning things instead of buying them. Their mechanic is great to watch and very thorough.

I used to watch Roadkill (done by hot rod magazine on youtube) a lot because they'd take old junk and get it just mechanically sound enough to drive and do a burnout in.. but now that they're sponsored and "big time" it's become just another vendor advertisement show.

I watch & bitch about all of them...LOL
Discovery Net, History Channel, Velocity even Outdoor Network

it's better than most of the lousy Network TV crap

certainly flawed, certainly all scripted BS,
selling stuff to keep the doors open,
seems to be the a-typical formula, kind of marketing 101

I like Street Outlaws the best, stupid scripted crap at times, but it has drag racing

getting really bored with Mecum,
too many of them selling the same damn Corvette's, Camaro's & Mustang's

The last thing I was really into was Chip Foose's build of the Imposter 65 Impala. They documented every step of the way with print, photos, and videos. Very educational. I sometimes watch Tutorial videos from Eastwood too.

watch
wheeler dealers, extreme car hoarders and the re-runs of top gear S1-22( do yourself a favour and stay away from the "new" top gear it sux ) top gear usa ,get a laugh out of gas monkey garage/fu garage . can't stand the "infomercial "type shows car fix , all girl garage, GYC etc etc ( and heres one "we "already done ,yeah right :rolleyes: )worst part is over here we still get re-runs of American chopper :eek: and American hot rod over and over (sn vs jr is on now , what a joke of a show)
subscribe to all the mopar rags ,have to get my fix from somewhere :thumbsup:

Wheeler Dealers has been my favorite for a long time. I love how Ed uses ingenuity and creativeness to come up with fixes to problems and doesn't just open a box from his "friends at Edelbrock" like everyone else does. The only issue I have with the show is 99% of the cars they work on are old European cars that I've never heard of and care nothing about.

The "unreality" of these "reality" shows about not only cars but remodeling houses causes me to avoid them completely. I would rather pick up a 30 year old copy of Reader's Digest!

I liked Anerican Hot rod because it was showing the actually process. And a show could be part 1 of 4. I like detail and knowledge. You cant learn much in 20 minutes.

I like Graveyard Cars when they actually work on the cars, but I really hate when it is about their issues with each other etc... I also like Wheelers Dealers for the same reasons as many of you. I like how the actually rebuild some things and they get a bit more into the tech instead of a bolt on out of a box.

I never bother with any of the auction shows anymore, it is just about how has the biggest pocketbook, and it would be really nice if the price they mention would include all the fees and crap they charge you at an auction.

I also like Bitchin' Rides, but again, I like the working on the cars part and not so much the cutsie BS "reality" parts.

Wheeler dealers and Chasing Classic cars... Ed and Roger are the real deal as far as mechanics go. The other show i caught a few times is the one from Cuba. I know a lot may not like it but those guys would love to have access to parts and tools we take for granted. All things considered they are creative and ingenious when it comes to keeping old cars on the road

What?!...you mean everything on TV is fake?

I subscribe to Hot Rod mag and the latest issue had one feature car, and the rest was ads. I can't believe even the car mag that started it all has succumbed to this crap. Ten pages were for harbor freight! What is that?
I don't have cable, but I speak from experience that most all of the car tv shows are inflates by sponsors.

How about the one with the three fat guys? It's not so bad. I must admit I watch almost all of them at times, even though I can't stand some of the "characters" in them. I just like seeing what they do to these cars. And maybe I can learn something along the way.

Auto Transport Service
Back